Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen2 password

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen2 password

Trying to remove the admin password on this Lenovo E14 Gen2.
    Flash chip: Winbond 25Q256JVEQ - extracted with a CH341A reader/writer. Detected memory type: 4019 (33554432 bytes)

I do wonder if anyone can give some pointer. What is the method one go about to patch a typical locked bios file? Where to start?

So far I haven't found much information on these laptops. I suspect they're quite fresh on the market. At least the Gen2. (Gen1 has a different motherboard and a slightly different flash chip)

The lenovo_autopatcher did not work.
    Gave: "dump.bin is corrupted or does not contain a valid dump." after the second stage. [2/2] ...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SysGhost; 04-20-2021, 02:35 PM.

Need a dump of Lenovo Thinkpad E14 Gen2 firmware.

Any owners of Lenovo Thinkpad E14 Gen2 machines out there with settings at factory default and unlocked:

I want to request two dumps from your machine if you're capable of dumping the firmware from the Winbond 25R256JVEQ flash chip near the screen hinge side.

One dump with all factory settings.
    Another dump with an administrator password set.
    (Just the first one with factory settings will do nicely too if you don't want to risk it any further. But both will help immensely.)

The neat thing about it is that one doesn't need to desolder the chip to dump it.
    One can simply solder a few wires to the 8 solder pads for a SOC8 that's unpopulated just adjacent. (It's a pin to pin exact match footprint so Lenovo can use either the SOC8, or the WSON8 package)
    It works the other way around too if the SOC 8 footprint is populated instead. The pads are directly 1 to 1 electrically connected. pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2 and so on. One can probably 3D-print a jig for it to touch wires onto the pads too in order to avoid soldering, if one so desire.

I'll attach pictures to show you how it can be done. It is how I dumped a locked firmware. I used a CH341A flash reader/writer for this. Works like a treat.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SysGhost; 04-23-2021, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen2

Additional information:
      Full name and model:
      ThinkPad E14 Gen2 - Type 20TA-0058MX

Comment

post your EC backup
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
          post your EC backup
          I'd need a hint for what type of controller I'm looking for, and maybe if there is an easy way to dump it without the need to desolder it.

As far as I understand it, this "Embedded Controller" is not a regular flash chip, but a microcontroller of some kind that needs to be completely desoldered to dump?

There aren't any other flash chips anywhere around the motherboard on either side, except one that sits near the thunderbolt controller and is electrically connected to the thunderbolt controller. Sure I can dump it but I don't think it makes anyone any good. I'll upload it either way.
          Attached Files

Comment

Okay. I'm making some progress in this. There's very little to no information about this. Or at least I can't find anything at first glance. No one seems to be talking anything about this and everyone assumes everyone knows everything about it.

I suspect The chip called "IT8227E-256" (QFP128 package) is the controller I'm looking for.
            There seem to be no datasheets on this at all. I have no idea how to dump anything from it.

The next step would be to desolder it and put it in a jig of some kind to read out the firmware. (But I do suspect it is protected from that type of dumps).
            It has some really fine pitch, which will make it really hard to solder back into place.
            Last edited by SysGhost; 05-21-2021, 07:41 PM. Reason: Thought I found a pdf, but it was a fake. Removed.

Comment

the password seems to be stored in the EC ,https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93649 .The EC IT8227E can be read with a special programmer,it has a ribbon cable that connects to the keyboard connector. There`s a few different ones, Vertyanov JIG ,SVOD3 ,SAS (vertyanov clone) .
              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

the password seems to be stored in the EC ,https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93649 .The EC IT8227E can be read with a special programmer,it has a ribbon cable that connects to the keyboard connector. There`s a few different ones, Vertyanov JIG ,SVOD3 ,SAS (vertyanov clone) .
                Thanks! just the information I needed to get further. Now I just have to get my hands on one of those.

Comment

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen2 BIOS PASSWORD

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen2 BIOS PASSWORD
                  BIOS/Supervisor password;ples send patch file

Comment

hi all . was this problem solved?

Comment

post your EC backup
                      help me please, Bad SVP Data, Stop Post Task

Attached Files

Comment

• Vesko356
                        Vesko356 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        RULES UPDATE for BIOS requests/offers *AVOID BANNING, READ BEFORE POSTING*
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...before-posting

You MUST NOT:
                        • Post a request in multiple threads
                        • Post a request multiple times

You MUST:
                        • Provide the full machine model number, serial number (or Service tag, SNID) and the board model number (see https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=88758 ) ,The serial number, make, full model number, motherboard model and revision (except QR codes) must be written/typed at your request as per the rules. Not as a picture, part of the file name and so on.

ORGINAL EC BIOS I need it please.

Comment

lenovo thinkpad e14 10th gen needs bios password thanks

sn: PF-25LYDO
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Djamalhan View Post
                        hi all . was this problem solved?
                        In my case, no. Those ribbon cables that are needed to dump the EC are prohibitively extremely expensive. I ended up buying a brand-new laptop instead. That was cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                        X