X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 BLINKS - Hp Zbook 17 G4 - CPW70 LA-E171P

Hi!

Hp Zbook 17 G4.

Blinking cap/lock 5 (Five times) at boot - Systemboard failure Code.
    But laptop is working fine, all voltages are fine, bios replacement - same results. All onboard hardware is fine. So NO problem detected. AIDA64 streess test for one hour, and all is okay..

Why laptop diagnostics has error? Is it possible to get wider info of error? As i do understand it could be failure of Diode or Ferrite Beads?

Any ideas? Thanks!
    Last edited by EdwardGeo; 05-02-2022, 03:22 AM.

Re: 5 BLINKS - Hp Zbook 17 G4 - CPW70 LA-E171P

After deeper research:
    1. Two Balls of solder was detected at RAM socket pads. - Actually the factory issue. So under deformation the ram was shorted. Ram error code 3.2 was also detected one time after 4 hours of stress test. So balls of solder was deleted.
    2. The ram socket positioning quality is pretty weak... the conectors sometimes are on the edge of pads, thats why solder paste was melt wrong way.
    3. Detected corrupted PD7 (SMAJ10A) Transient Voltage Suppressor Diode. Part of package is missing.

Still 5 blinks on board...
    And POST after 15-30 seconds of black screen and fans full speed
    Attached Files

Comment

If it is intel board i would do a clean me region of your biosdump. Such problem like me a corrupt me region.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevedb View Post
        If it is intel board i would do a clean me region of your biosdump. Such problem like me a corrupt me region.
        What is the best method of cleaning ME?

The speakers on power on are sometimes crackling. But sound card is working.

Comment

Hi here you have a tutorial how to clean me region or you can ask in bios section to clean me region your dump. I am on the phone i can not do it. Or they are many youtube movies how to do it.

https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/gu...lization/31277

Good luck

Steve
          Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-07-2023, 07:30 AM. Reason: edited winraid link

Comment

Hi here you have a tutorial how to clean me region or you can ask in bios section to clean me region your dump. I am on the phone i can not do it. Or they are many youtube movies how to do it.

https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/gu...lization/31277

Good luck

Steve

Amazing! That is working great now! Thank you for your help! It boots in seconds to windows!

One more thing. Is it possible to migrate MS (MSDM) UEFI key from one bios to another? It seems like the key is located in ME region
            Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-07-2023, 07:30 AM. Reason: edited winraid link

Comment

I think so is not located in me region well in the bios region in uefi strap one i think. I will see if i find tutorial. Did you do clean me of your original dump or from another downloader dump because normal DMI info should be there.
              Last edited by Stevedb; 05-05-2022, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Hi here is clip how to find bios key in bios dump. And change it and the other is how to get your dmi info from your bios tot the one repaired.
                https://youtu.be/80vlziUZ5nk
                https://youtu.be/AJW4KxgACAY
                I hope this can help you

Regards

Steve

Comment

I think so is not located in me region well in the bios region in uefi strap one i think. I will see if i find tutorial. Did you do clean me of your original dump or from another downloader dump because normal DMI info should be there.
                  Thanks for quick reply!

Dump from bios flash.
                  Me region was replaced and also bios region was replaced to clean up nvram, because with it laptop wasn't able to enter bios settings. So bios region is factory like now. After clean boot, part of bios was restored from EC flash.

EC flash first pad image contain some data which is not from bios update and I think that this one is ME data. I can compare binary to understand what was restored

Comment

Yes you should do that. You can also in windows for to see that the product key is restored.

With this tool
                    https://www.intowindows.com/recover-...-key-bios-efi/

Regards

Steve

Comment

Yes you should do that. You can also in windows for to see that the product key is restored.

With this tool
                      https://www.intowindows.com/recover-...-key-bios-efi/

Regards

Steve
                      After compare: EC first pad image contain Bios Descriptor, GBE image and some random data from bios update pad images.

Now I can 100% confirm that after cleaning ME the MS MSDM key is lost. SO the key is hidden at ME region

Comment

You can retrieve it in your bios dum then. But you must know the keyword i am not so expierance in bios you can always ask on comment on the erra video he will answer it. Or you can ask on discord on electronic repair school . Or ask it here in bios section. Was the video from erra not good for retrieving the key in the bios chip with using hxd.

Comment

You can retrieve it in your bios dum then. But you must know the keyword i am not so expierance in bios you can always ask on comment on the erra video he will answer it. Or you can ask on discord on electronic repair school . Or ask it here in bios section. Was the video from erra not good for retrieving the key in the bios chip with using hxd.
                          Nope. I was wrong. After I have made clean NVRAM Build of working bios the password was gone.

At Variable GUID: 21CE168A-EEA6-488B-AAED-06F2DEC10878 of nvram the MS key is located. Currently trying to build version with replaced this entry

Mod edit: Bios moved https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=106172
                          Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-06-2022, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Yes i thought so normal you can extract pad in your biod and replaced it in your fixed bios and then will the bios been fixed. I have no laptop anymore to help with it. You can open the undified bios dump and search for this string 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1D 00 00 00 normal you will see your product key then then you can copy search the same and replace it. And save the dump normal it should be good then.

Succes

Regards
                            Steve

Comment

Thank you for your help! HP 0A3 entry patch solve everything and now everything is working like new!

Comment

I am happy i could help you congrats and good work.

Comment

The way is about How to restore EC recovery flash

This flash contain next info:

upd_01Padding_Non-empty_Padding => ec_01Padding_Non-empty_Padding.pad

0x2000 - BIOS DESCRIPTOR REGION

0x3000 - Region_GbE_GbE_region

0x5000 - VSS_entry_Auth_20AB3EB1-3C8F-4A4C-B87E-372426066D97_HP_MUD_body

0x5186 - VSS_entry_Auth_20AB3EB1-3C8F-4A4C-B87E-372426066D97_BuildId_body

0x51F6 - VSS_entry_Auth_20AB3EB1-3C8F-4A4C-B87E-372426066D97_FactoryConfig_body

0x53EA - VSS_entry_Auth_20AB3EB1-3C8F-4A4C-B87E-372426066D97_FactoryConfigFlags_body

0x6000 - Unknown

0x8000 - Unknown

0x9000 - Unknown

0x0B6000 - upd_01Padding_Non-empty_Padding will start at Offset

=================================================================================================================================

upd_02Volume_FFSv3_EfiFirmwareFileSystem3Guid => ec_02Volume_FFSv3_EfiFirmwareFileSystem3Guid

=================================================================================================================================

upd_04Padding_Non-empty_Padding => ec_03Padding_Non-empty_Padding

0x10F000 - upd_04Padding_Non-empty_Padding

upd_05Volume_FFSv2_EfiFirmwareFileSystem2Guid => ec_04Volume_FFSv2_EfiFirmwareFileSystem2Guid

upd_10Padding_Non-empty_Padding => ec_05Padding_Non-empty_Padding

upd_11Volume_FFSv2_B73FE497-B92E-416E-8326-45AD0D270091 => ec_06Volume_FFSv2_B73FE497-B92E-416E-8326-45AD0D270091

upd_12Volume_FFSv2_F924054A-05C4-457A-A1F3-22C5F42078CB => ec_07Volume_FFSv2_F924054A-05C4-457A-A1F3-22C5F42078CB
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by EdwardGeo; 05-06-2022, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Thank you for sharing the solution , i hope somebody can help it too.

Comment

Thank you for sharing the solution , i hope somebody can help it too.
                                      That's the way how EC recovery was restored on one of laptops. But actually some data could have different sizes and a lot of missing and as result HP SureStart will block loading of recovery.

So the easiest solution is to patch only first pading file at EC recovery bios from any available on WEB bioses. Patching first Padding will help to restore serial number of device

This NVRAM data is stored at EC RECOVERY Too.
                                      _HP_MUD_body
                                      _BuildId_body
                                      _FactoryConfig_body
                                      _FactoryConfigFlags_body

But data at those offsets are unknown, you will never find it at bios. Maybe this is part of Embed Controller caches or other data:
                                      0x6000 - Unknown
                                      0x8000 - Unknown
                                      0x9000 - Unknown

Comment

@Stevedb

Hi!
                                        It seems like NVRAM contain some config files for system. I will explain why: After I have done a clean ME and NVRAM regions, performance of laptop was drop.

So:
                                        on clean NVRAM i got 13899 scores of Geekbench 4 on 7820HQ which is pretty slow
                                        on original NVRAM from stock BIOS I got 14999 Geekscores.
                                        one of bioses gives me 15566 scores

Testing other Nvrams form web. Because it should have results of 16000-17000 scores
                                        Last edited by EdwardGeo; 05-10-2022, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X