Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer 7730G burned dc power jack

Hallo all,
    I'm a noob, I know. I have an acer 7730G with mainboard daozy2mb6f1 rev. F.
    The problem was that the power jack burned and so I replaced it. My soldering is not good, I know. So when I plugged in the adapter, again smoke and smell and now it looks like that + (positive) and ground are connected (short circuit?).
    When I first checked with multimeter the ground was good and not making contact with the +.
    Please advice how to troubleshoot.
    I have posted pictures.

Before, burned:

Now, short circuit:

does the positive been need to be soldered on both sides? I could not see becouse of the damege on the original dc power jack.

Everything within the red is making contact right now ?!?

Any help is welcome. Thanks.
    Last edited by Witte668; 10-03-2014, 06:37 AM.

Re: Acer 7730G burned dc power jack

Take out the connecter and use a very small drill to drill out. then with the meter check the short has gone replace the connecter.

Comment

@cyberhack, thank you for your advise.
      I removed the dc connector again and still all the points from all the componants inside the red from the picture make contact with ground and positive. Any thoughts?
      I can post new pictures tomorrow.
      Could it be that PC8 and/or PC9 is broken, these are the only two, I know of, that are connected to both ground and positive. Or am I wrong?

Comment

What was the cause of the first burnt connector ? I'm asking this because you may be trying to eliminate just the symptoms and not the real problem. The short may be somewhere else, not in the connector.
        Try to connect the charger to the laptop before connecting the charger to the mains. This will not fix the problem but it may allow you to skip all the smoke part. The charger may enter short-circuit mode before any damage to the connector.
        Also don't forget to check the voltage of the charger.

Comment

Working...
        X