Samsung T240 Intermittent Display/Backlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung T240 Intermittent Display/Backlight

Hi All, Just thought I would share my experience of my faulty Samsung T240 Monitor fault just incase it may help others.

Firstly I would suggest searching and reading through the forums for answer to faults regarding this monitor, as I have, there are alot of handy tips & tricks that can be very helpful and save much in the way of time & perhaps money!

My monitor had the usual fault of 2 seconds on then black for a few seconds though the black (shutdown) was intermittent in its off time, sometimes 2 seconds other times upto 30 seconds, so I searched this forum to help save time in diagnosis and decided to replace the inverter transformer as the PCB area around it showed signs of heat damage & when in the power on stage i'd get a slight hiss & whiff of ozone so put that down to a HT leak in the transformer.

Well I replaced the inverter transformer with one bought very cheaply from a popular auction site, I was pleased that the display lit up and stayed on ;-) BUT it was short lived and I could still smell/detect ozone in the air then out of the corner of my eye I spotted a very dim flickering orange light in the top corner of the rear of the LCD Panel I move the wire carefully with a plastic stick and the backlights fired up again! a bad connection on the CCFL I thought, infact the wire wasn't soldered at all, the ozone and orange light was being caused by the loose wire arcing between the CCFL pin and the wire itself after the rubber insulator had got hot and perished the arc and heat generated had made matters worse and burnt off the cable to the lamps.

I have supplied a picture below to show the problem & damage, though I replaced the transformer I didn't think in my case it was necessary.
    When dismantling the LCD panel to get at the CCFL's I realised both wires at the one end had burnt off, I thought I wound be able to clean off the CCFL pins put on a new insulator and re-solder the cables and my luck would be in! but I unfortunately dropped the CCFLs and one broke! I cursed loudly and now have to source some new ones and replace the whole lot... so be very careful if you attempt this kind of repair LCD Panel Disassembly is not for the faint hearted, they contain many layers of plastic diffusers as well as the LCD panel & very fragile ccfl's.

Pic Below - sorry for the waffle (story) I am not very good at explaining things , though I am confident that when I can source a CCFL supplier or LED conversion kit all will work well & I hope this slightly unusual fault may help someone here.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by midge5; 01-30-2014, 12:23 PM.
Working...
X