Emerson ltdn42v68us, 42" LCD, picture goes out, has sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Emerson ltdn42v68us, 42" LCD, picture goes out, has sound

Glad to see this post helped folks. I actually just came back to look up the model number for this thing to find the owner's manual.

My quick fix is still holding up... knock on wood... so the 2010 Wal-Mart special lives on.

A couple notes on this:

1) Once the cable burns up, it's not replaceable... the burning-up process destroys the connector at the board, so only fix is basically what's outlined above. For mine, the destruction was just at one end, so I desoldered the connector at the board.

2) Sorry I didn't take pics of the back; didn't think to, and the color of wires I used was arbitrary (again, left over from rewiring my truck). If you understand how circuit boards look (and work) you can follow the traces on the underside of the board, and solder in to good spots. It's fairly obvious where once you remove and flip the board over. TA->TA, GND->GND, TB->TB... 5,2,5 wires.

3) A better fix would have been to have completely removed the cable and replaced the complete wire with 16 gauge from 1 board to the other (rather than patch it in like I did.) I didn't because frankly I was too lazy to do it that way, figured that the higher resistance was on the main board end, and that if it ultimately burned up again I'd fix it, again, by replacing the other end.

Comment

awesome!!! I was going to order the inverter board and wire harness(if I could find the number for the harness) until I saw this.... Now I have a nice 42" LCD for the bedroom free!

Comment

You guys absolutely rock. I'm no tech geek, more of mechanic, but even I was able to fix this using your guidance. Kids are disappointed as they wanted a bigger tv! Thanks all.

Comment

I have this problem now. I was watching TV and the picture just melted into the top left corner of TV now all black. No menu view. Just audio. I checked wire you guys talked bout and ohmed out its good an not burnt. So what do I do. Thanks and help

Comment

To me it sounds like the 12V to the T-con disappeared but the rest of the TV kept working, is fuse on T-con good?
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I don't know what t-conn is this first time in TV. I checked the only fuse I seen an ohmed out good.

Comment

yep same problem here no video but great audio after 4years walmart special lol but my connector and wires are not fried .
                I tested the voltage coming out of the connector which comes from the transformer and i get 0v I think should be around 50v and 50-v
                I turn it on it blinks as if it where to turn on and turns right off led stay blue and audio sounds great. I checked the fuse and the rail voltages for 110v
                what do you guys think it could be ? Im thinking on buying the power supply board but im sure its one of the components but with out a schematic I cant follow and trace where the voltage gets lost could even be the step down transformer itself :/
                please help

Comment

ohh just in case i tested continuity accross the wires that most of you have had burned

Comment

Originally posted by noiseguy View Post
                    My quick fix is still holding up... knock on wood... so the 2010 Wal-Mart special lives on.
                    Back looking at this again, this time to check AWG I used. TV still working May 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by noiseguy View Post
                      Back looking at this again, this time to check AWG I used. TV still working May 2015.
                      Can someone help me? I see there has been a resolution to fixing the no video but audio problem with the some sort of burn out of the wires. In my case I have no video or audio. In fact the TV will not turn on at all now, previously turned on for seconds the shut off. Red standby light always comes on when plugged in and sometimes if the TV is unplugged for a while TV comes on blue led light appears the go back off. After opening up the back panel nothing sticks out to me as damaged. I don't have acces to the tool to check individual parts.

Any suggestions or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Comment

So is anyone in MS that has fixed their tv? Not sure I have the skills to fix mine even though it sounds easy.

Comment

Working...
                        X