Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Electronics Theory and Troubleshooting > General Electronics Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
scampo77

City & State: Montreal Quebec Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to scampo77
Default where to start? logic board or power board?

Veeeeery new to this but after looking around for a course to learn about electronic repair i have had no luck finding any actual education courses anywhere.

so firstly thanks to everyone here for creating and providing a source to people like me who enjoy this as a hobby and want to learn.

im not sure if this question has been answered or even if it is answerable. is there a list of symptoms that i should be looking for to diagnose HV switching / power supply / logic board. with regards to flat panel tv/monitor repair. i would like to start threads with pictures and digital measurements but i dont want to flood the forum by posting the wrong board.

thanks again everyone
scampo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
retiredcaps
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Canada
Default Re: where to start? logic board or power board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampo77 View Post
is there a list of symptoms that i should be looking for to diagnose HV switching / power supply / logic board. with regards to flat panel tv/monitor repair.
budmrtn has a good start at fixya.com

http://www.fixya.com/support/r509388...shooting_guide
retiredcaps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
scampo77

City & State: Montreal Quebec Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to scampo77

that info is exactly what i am looking for thanks!!

2 more question before i get started.

#1 although i dont have one now i have seen tvs that have one line running from top to bottom with no color. like a stripe. is this a faulty T-con board? can something like this be repaired?

i ask because i have some broken tvs to chose from to practice on and i am wondering if they are worth while to take home and wrestle into my apartment.

#2 i have seen a guy on youtube who made something to test the bulbs in a lcd monitor it ran off of a 9v battery and when he plugged it in the bulbs came on. what is this or what is it called? how do i buy one or make one?
scampo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
retiredcaps
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampo77 View Post
#1like a stripe. is this a faulty T-con board? can something like this be repaired?

#2 i have seen a guy on youtube who made something to test the bulbs in a lcd monitor it ran off of a 9v battery and when he plugged it in the bulbs came on.
1) With PlainBill's help, we narrowed down my friend's TV to a fault t-con. Case notes at

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12100

2) This is the video by John Preher. Ask him at

http://preher-tech.com/default.aspx

If you get non working TVs for free, take them and try to learn. Troubleshooting TVs is much more difficult than computer LCDs due to more boards and multiple power supplies.
retiredcaps is online now   Reply With Quote