Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: polaroid tv capacitor identification

Originally posted by jayoung View Post
    The large capacitor in this TV has a plastic covering on it that bulges outward, it may not be the actual capacitor that is bulging. See my post #94.
    Sorry about that. Doing this post from my iPad and it won't let me upload pics. Thanks. I have ordered them and we will see how it goes. Thanks for all you who post this valuable information.

Comment

Hello, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who takes the time put post an amazing amount of info here! I have come across this site many times and it helped me on 2 lcd monitors, With that said I knew it was time to join. I'm currently working on a Polaroid TLX-03210B that I got for free, it has the constant red light on in the front, no response to any buttons or remote, Caps all "look" good (do not have ESR) the big 150@450V cap looked bad until I learned here that it was normal. There is a red light on the board itself should that be lit? I'm gonna continue reading through post! Thanks

Comment

I got my caps in today. I ordered the two brown ones and the big one suggested in post #94. The big one looks to have leads that are too short. It is also bigger around and a tad shorter. Anyone have a better suggestion for a part replacement or will this one work? It says 105C 150uf 450v 1326U on the one I received.

Comment

Ok. Now I'm looking at the browns ones and they look different too. I guess I wasn't carefully enough in getting the same parts. Do they have to be the same size as the originals? I will post pics.

Comment

Here is a picture of the original caps along with the replacements. I think they are the wrong ones for my TV. I am looking for the parts for the TDA-03211C. The large one on the right is the old one. and the small brown one on the right is the old one.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Wcranford; 12-19-2011, 08:55 PM.

Comment

More photos of the caps
              Attached Files

Comment

The critical parameters for replacement is to use a good quality (name brand) low ESR cap with the same capacity and voltage that will fit in the available space. As long as it will fit, it's fine to use it.

As far as the cap whose leads are too short, cut the leads of the old cap as close to the case as possible. Wrap the ends of the original leads around the leads of the new cap and solder.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

The 150uf is Panasonic and the 10uf is Nichicon. Are they good quality name brand? I can get them to fit. The 150uf should be fine after I extend the leads as you suggested. The 10uf will fit but is it a good idea for it to be so tall? Here is a pic of how it would look once installed. I just sat it in there to see. I am also attaching a doc of caps compared on Mouser's site. One is the one I received and the other is Panasonic. I would rather order the better ones for the job if the ones I have are not a good idea. Any suggestions?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Wcranford; 12-20-2011, 08:32 AM.

Comment

The height should not be a problem.

I am concerned that you are only discussing the brand. Both the brand and series are important. Digi-Key carries 9 different series of Panasonic caps, Only three of them are suitable for use in an SMPS.

PlainBill
                    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

The Panasonic is high temp series EB. The nichicon is series PW, low impedance.

Comment

Originally posted by Wcranford View Post
                        The Panasonic is high temp series EB. The nichicon is series PW, low impedance.
                        OK, I understand. Forgive my confusion.

PlainBill

Comment

Which of those is the best? I ordered the Nichicon but will order the Panasonic if it is better. Sorry for all the posts. I have read through this entire tread trying to understand the ins and outs of bad caps. And I finally learned how to edit a post and add pictures! LOL Us blonds do take time to train. Anyway. Thanks PlainBill and everyone else for all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Wcranford View Post
                            Which of those is the best? I ordered the Nichicon but will order the Panasonic if it is better. Sorry for all the posts. I have read through this entire tread trying to understand the ins and outs of bad caps. And I finally learned how to edit a post and add pictures! LOL Us blonds do take time to train. Anyway. Thanks PlainBill and everyone else for all your help.
                            It's a little like asking "Who makes a better truck - Ford or Dodge?" Each will handle the jobs they are designed for and last a long time with proper care. Problems will occur if the task (towing a heavy 'fifth wheel' trailer) requires a Ford F450 series truck or equivalent and the buyer instead purchases a Ford F150 (little more than an open bed station wagon).

Nichicon, Panasonic, and United Chemicon all make excellent capacitors, and several series suitable for use as output filters in Switch Mode Power Supplies. They also make many other series that are not intended for that application.

The caps you purchased are being used in the input filter, and are suitable for that task.

PlainBill

Comment

Thanks so much for your help. I replaced the caps and it works great!

Comment

Hi everyone. I grabbed a Polaroid TDX-03211c off the street a few days ago. Predictably, it doesn't power on. After reading this thread and similar ones around the internet, I opened it up and examined the capacitors on the power supply.

None are obviously bulging or leaking and all the fuses are still good. I removed the two caps that normally fail (10uF 450v, next to the transformer coils) and tested them with a capacitance meter. One tested at 9.98 uF while the other was 8.9 uF.

I think electrolytic caps can have a wide degree of capacitance variance, so I'm not sure if the 8.9 uF cap is actually bad. Any way to tell? I only have a digital multimeter and a capacitance meter.

Any other suggestions? Here are some pics of my board (with caps and two fuses removed). Click for bigger pics:

Comment

As it turns out, I think the D10 Diode is dead (gives a "004" continuity/diode reading in both directions, even with one leg detached from the circuit). Ordered a replacement from Newark (MFN: NTE576) as well as some replacement caps.

I'll report back in a few days with how/if it worked

Comment

Originally posted by polyfractal View Post
                                    As it turns out, I think the D10 Diode is dead (gives a "004" continuity/diode reading in both directions, even with one leg detached from the circuit). Ordered a replacement from Newark (MFN: NTE576) as well as some replacement caps.

I'll report back in a few days with how/if it worked
                                    Well, I replaced the diode and two caps - TV works like new.

Comment

Found a TDA-03211c at the county landfill. Plugged it in, and nothing - which I took as a good sign. Replaced the two caps and it lit right up. Only problem is . . . the LCD has been damaged and all I get is the pretty lines and designs.

Guess that shows the downside of fixing TV's of unknown origins. Looks like it's time to part it out on eBay.

Comment

Wow, what a POS!

Polaroid TDX-02611C

I am going to avoid these Poloriod panels going forward. Low quality and very fickle parts!

After tracking down the the original power supply was toast, and getting another one that worked for all of 5 minutes before it stopped working (sound but no backlight) replaced the Q16-17 n-channel fets and the 450v 10uf caps it worked for all 20 min before it did the same problem as before. I then noticed the small chip in IC7 socket was not seated right and it had 2 missing legs ( error controller ic?) anyway so I took the one out of the old power supply and plugged it in (two totally different style chips) and low and behold it's working. It's going on 35 minutes with no issues so far.

Ugh lol what a mess! I will give these sets credit they are easy to take apart.

Comment

I am going to recycle this thread as I don't see a point to open a new one.

Ok so this Panel was working great, I watched two full movies on it and had it running down all night down stairs with a pixel flipper on trying to fix a lazy pixel. After running for 10 hours straight I turned it off this morning to let it rest.

I went down to turn it on again and now its doing the same issue as before, turns on, screen lights up with the Polaroid logo and then turns the backlights off. You can still see the screen going and the sound working so I am not sure what to do next.

I am determined to fix this as I don't mind loosing a little money to learn and trouble shoot.

Could this be the transformers for the back lights? I don't have a coil tester so I have no idea how to check those with out one. The power supply was out of a 32" these Polaroid sets (I think they are LG made) share the same power supply from the 26" to the 42" just have several variations of them.

Grrr I thought I was about to wash my hands of this beast!

Comment

Working...
                                          X