ViewSonic N3760w LCD with bad caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ViewSonic N3760w LCD with bad caps

The power supply on this ViewSonic TV appears to have some bad caps. When trying to turn the TV on I get nothing. There are 4 Capxon caps with swollen tops that appear bad, but I would like to change them all. I have dealt with Digikey before but would like to know if the site sells an equivalent replacement and what the shipping options would be. Below is a list of what I would like to replace. If someone would be kind enough to give me their opinion as to what they would recommend to use for replacement, I would greatly appreciate it!

All are Capxon caps:

Qty-3 680uf 25v KF105°c C618 vent

Oty-2 1500uf 16v KF105°c C618 vent

Oty-2 220uf 25v KF105°c C616 vent

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance you might be able to provide.
    Attached Files

Re: ViewSonic N3760w LCD with bad caps

If you are going to recap them "all", I count 16 caps on the entire board. Please provide the dimensions of all the caps because 3 or 4 them might be a tight fit side by side. Also, you don't want caps that are too tall and then you can't put the shield back on them.

Mouser.com, Badcaps.net are 2 other options.

Panasonic, Rubycon, and United Chemi-con are the ones recommended most be forum members.

Originally posted by oreo1
    There are 4 Capxon caps with swollen tops that appear bad, but I would like to change them all. I have dealt with Digikey before but would like to know if the site sells an equivalent replacement and what the shipping options would be.

All are Capxon caps:

--- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You only need to replace all the Crapxon capacitors in the secondary side. There are 11 total. I would use Panasonic FM caps from Digikey.

Just watch the height and the diameter (typically 10mm for the larger ones).

Comment

Sorry,
        Forgot to give the sizes. Lucky13, I am going to replace the Capxon caps for now and here are the sizes:

Qty-3 680uf 25v KF105°c C618 vent Size: 10mm round, 21mm high

Oty-2 1500uf 16v KF105°c C618 vent Size: 10mm round, 21mm high

Oty-2 220uf 25v KF105°c C616 vent Size: 8mm round, 12mm high

Comment

Also replace all (i count 5) small capacitors on the primary side.
          These often dry up as well and cause startup problems in the future, plus its not much work to replace.

Capxon KF can be replaced with United Chemi-Con KY or LXY series, Rubycon ZL, ZLH, Nichicon PW, Panasonic FC, FK or FM series.

What type is the large blue capacitor? If its Capxon, i usually replace it too, had enough faulty ones by now.
          Last edited by robert; 06-13-2010, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Any chance someone could just post some suitable Digikey part numbers for oreo's list? I have c21 and c22 bulging on mine, and it won't switch on. May as well replace all the electrolytic caps on the secondary as long as I'm doing the two. My problem is that I'm having trouble choosing appropriate replacements from all the options.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by disposable001
              My problem is that I'm having trouble choosing appropriate replacements from all the options.
              It is safest to list what you have for caps in uF, V, and size. There is a possibility that the caps are not the same due to board revision changes.

You don't want to get a cap, install it, and then find out you can't get the shield back on because the cap was too fat or tall.

If you are going to order from Digikey, you probably want the Panasonic FM series for caps.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by disposable001
                Any chance someone could just post some suitable Digikey part numbers for oreo's list? I have c21 and c22 bulging on mine, and it won't switch on. May as well replace all the electrolytic caps on the secondary as long as I'm doing the two. My problem is that I'm having trouble choosing appropriate replacements from all the options.

Thanks!
                If someone could post a list it would be very helpful for both of us.
                Thank you very much!!

Comment

I went to Digi-Key and typed in Panasonic FM, just pick your uf, voltage and match your sizes. It couldn't be easier, dig in. The Panasonic FM is a good pick.
                  I bought 9 caps and 4 mosfets for around $8.00. They don't have a minimum purchase charge and they shipped them to me asap.

Comment

Akeister,
                    Thanks for the reply.....that almost sounds to easy and good to be true!! I'm going home from work in another 5 minutes and give it a try and then order these up. If all goes according to plan I should have this bad boy up and running by the middle of next week. I'll get back to ya once I'm watching some baseball on it!!

Many thanks to all that helped out!!

Comment

Originally posted by Akaister View Post
                      I went to Digi-Key and typed in Panasonic FM, just pick your uf, voltage and match your sizes. It couldn't be easier, dig in. The Panasonic FM is a good pick.
                      I bought 9 caps and 4 mosfets for around $8.00. They don't have a minimum purchase charge and they shipped them to me asap.
                      I'm dealing with this same issue on my N3760W, symptom wise. I haven't opened it up yet to see what the board looks like, but am glad to have found this helpful thread.

DigiKey's part selector seems pretty straightforward, but also has selection parameters for ripple current, impedance, and lead spacing. I can determine lead spacing once I get the board out and measure, but how do I pick the correct replacement parameters for those other values?

Also, I presume (since they're all 105C temp capacitors) that I'm best off buying the 7000hr vs any lower value? [EDIT: 5000 hr; they don't have 7000 hr for the Panasonic FMs]

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...panasonic%20fm

Thanks,

TX Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by oreo1 View Post
                        Akeister,
                        Thanks for the reply.....that almost sounds to easy and good to be true!! I'm going home from work in another 5 minutes and give it a try and then order these up. If all goes according to plan I should have this bad boy up and running by the middle of next week. I'll get back to ya once I'm watching some baseball on it!!

Many thanks to all that helped out!!
                        Oreo, how'd this repair work out for you?

Comment

Originally posted by TXPilot69 View Post
                          I'm dealing with this same issue on my N3760W, symptom wise. I haven't opened it up yet to see what the board looks like, but am glad to have found this helpful thread.

DigiKey's part selector seems pretty straightforward, but also has selection parameters for ripple current, impedance, and lead spacing. I can determine lead spacing once I get the board out and measure, but how do I pick the correct replacement parameters for those other values?

Also, I presume (since they're all 105C temp capacitors) that I'm best off buying the 7000hr vs any lower value? [EDIT: 5000 hr; they don't have 7000 hr for the Panasonic FMs]

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...panasonic%20fm

Thanks,

TX Pilot
                          I think I got this all figured out, seeing as there are only one set of ripple current and lead spacing choices, it looks like the correct set of items are:

Qty-3 680uf 25v KF105°c C618 vent Size: 10mm round, 21mm high
                          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12390-ND
                          0.67 ea.

Oty-2 1500uf 16v KF105°c C618 vent Size: 10mm round, 21mm high
                          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12368-ND
                          0.85 each

Oty-2 220uf 25v KF105°c C616 vent Size: 8mm round, 12mm high
                          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12383-ND
                          0.45 ea.

Comment

Originally posted by TXPilot69 View Post

First question is answered by PCBONEZ at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...47&postcount=3

Second question regarding hours is related to heat. See posts #7 and #8 at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...light=10C+heat
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Can someone tell me which capacitors are in C21 and C22. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by oreo1 View Post
                                The power supply on this ViewSonic TV appears to have some bad caps. When trying to turn the TV on I get nothing. There are 4 Capxon caps with swollen tops that appear bad, but I would like to change them all. I have dealt with Digikey before but would like to know if the site sells an equivalent replacement and what the shipping options would be. Below is a list of what I would like to replace. If someone would be kind enough to give me their opinion as to what they would recommend to use for replacement, I would greatly appreciate it!

All are Capxon caps:

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance you might be able to provide.

Swapped out the 3) 680uF and 2) 1500uf caps and it works like a champ. I haven't soldered in 25 years and didn't know if I could pull it off, but soldering this board was a breeze. I hope I can get another 5 years out of this monitor.

Bob

Comment

This thread is still helping people. I just saved my TV by replacing the 7 caps listed by TXPilot69. Had a heck of a time melting the solder to remove the old ones, but soldering in the new ones was a snap. Thanks.

Comment

Last week I ordered the list of seven capacitors as listed by TXpilot69, and installed them on Saturday. Now the TV comes on immediately after hitting the power button, just as it did when it was new. I'm my wife's hero, again. Thanks for your help solving what was an aggravating problem.
                                    Gary Cook

Comment

Originally posted by mikeli View Post
                                      Can someone tell me which capacitors are in C21 and C22. Thanks
                                      1500uf at 16 volt: nod:

Comment

My TV has started turning on and off by itself. Power supply shows nothing odd. Caps all look normal. Can this weirdness be caused by the PSU or am I looking in the wrong place?

The main board also looks fine.

Should I try try replacing the 7 caps listed anyways?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                        X