Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung UN46H6201 TV: is power board or LED failing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UN46H6201 TV: is power board or LED failing?

I have a UN46H6201 with (at least) a dead backlight. It will power on and display a faintly visible setup image when illuminated by a flashlight, so I'm pretty sure the mainboard and tcon are fine. The question is if I need to replace the LEDs and or power board, or both just to be safe?

The board does not appear to be powering the LEDs. If I check the connector 6203 in the first photo, I find that there's only about half a volt between pins 11 and 10 (is that the right way to test? are these in series or parallel? I've been hesitant to poke around and test all pin combos because it's hard to get a probe in there). note the pin map is visible at the right of the photo.

The power board does have one component that looks singed, a diode (1st picture). Removing and testing, however, it shows the proper half volt voltage drop/infinite using my multimeter's diode tester.

On reddit somebody suggested I also test the bridge rectifier (2nd photo) in circuit with the TV on. The outer pins measure 135 volts, which the same person suggested was too low. The board is outputting the proper voltage for the mainboard at least, as I have tested with a multimeter and also empirically because the set will turn on. Nonetheless it would be trivially easy and cheap to replace the rectifier and diode, I'd just have to wait a week or so for mail order from digikey.

Finally, I also suspect I have some bad LEDs. This I tested by measuring the resistance on each of the LED backlight channels, after removing the plug from the power board. 3 showed infinite resistance, suggesting an open circuit, and one showed 50k or thereabouts. I haven't tried putting power to them, but obviously if the circuit is open nothing's going to happen if I put voltage to them. If there's a better way to test the LEDs I'm all ears.

So, what should I replace? Or is the set too far gone and I should just part out the tcon and mainboard and move on with my life? It's a nice smart TV, and my preferred size, 46", but you can get those for around $100 on our local used market so there is a cost/benefit analysis to be done. Still, I hate throwing good parts into the landfill.
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung UN46H6201 TV: is power board or LED failing?

I just want to add that I've already had feedback on my poor LED testing methodology:
    neilc6
    Badcaps Veteran

Default Re: Samsung UN46H203AF Bad Backlights and Bad Power Supply
    You cannot test LED strings by measuring resistance though you can test individually for shorts. You need to put in diode mode and test each one individually or use a LED tester. With this model, you will likely have 80 to 90% of them shorted.

HOWEVER, if the strip tests open, doesn't that mean it's bad?

Comment

What is the power supply board number? The 3rd picture is too small to make it ouy
      Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by xeos View Post
        I just want to add that I've already had feedback on my poor LED testing methodology:

[ You need to put in diode mode and test each one individually or use a LED tester. With this model, you will likely have 80 to 90% of them shorted.?
        Do a Youtube check for testing leds. There are a lot of videos showing how.

neilc6 does indicate that you have a high probability of faulty led(s) but it would also be worth checking the diodes on the power supply he mentions in the event that they may also have failed.
        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

This model does have a history of backlight failures. Unplug the cable going from the power supply to the main video board while its unplugged. Then plug Tv in and see if the backlights come up. If they don't you have a short in the backlights. You can get the led backlight kit and the suction cups to remove the panel at www.shopjimmy.com for $60 and there are plenty of Youtube video's that show you how to do it. I usually wet the suction cups first before locking them down to get better suction and release them as soon as you remove the panel while your replacing the led strips. Use blue painters tape on the corners of the diffusers to keep them straight and in order. Good luck.

Comment

Here's the model number of the board. Sorry the other photo wasn't sharp enough.

The backlight does not come up when the other boards are not connected (just the LEDs). But the board isn't putting out 42vdc or whatever one should expect on those pins so I'm not sure that's a definitive test of the backlights being the issue. Like I say it *looks* like rather than a "short" 3 of the strips failed "open".
            Attached Files

Comment

The backlight voltage should be 172vdc, this is a boosted voltage by Q9801C, Check what the raw DC voltage is on JP810 (likely around 80~100vdc). Post some good quality pictures of the trace side of the board especially the cold side around TM801S and Q9801C
              Last edited by R_J; 03-13-2021, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X