Vizio D58u-D3 failing leds, seeking strips or leds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio D58u-D3 failing leds, seeking strips or leds

Thanks. I just ordered some .5mm Artic Thermal padding which is the product I saw used on various YouTube repairs. It is a workaround to finding someone with a bonding machine. It is a $15 fix, which if it works I will be thrilled. Though I haven't seen a good image of how exactly I place them on the various ribbons/connections. I am only going to do the side of the TV that is faulting. I am going with the "If it aint broke, dont fix it" approach on the good side.

I will post my results on Thursday. Padding should arrive tomorrow(Wed).

Thank you for the suggestion.

Other suggestions I have received were the layers of diffusion are messed up from reassembly or bad Tcon board.

Comment

I believe that the problem is with the tabs on the left side as seen when looking at the front of the TV. They were likely damaged during disassembly or reassembly. You can try shimming the tabs or remove them altogether. I would:
      1) Remove the back cover.
      2) Plug the TV into power and a video source.
      3) Lay the TV on its back with some pieces of 2-by-4 raising it up to keep the circuit boards from resting on the floor or able.
      4) Remove the front bezel. Do this carefully to avoid damaging any more tabs.
      5) Turn the TV on and gently massage the tabs to try to find the problem one(s). If a tab is cracked, shimming probably won't work. Press where the tabs are bonded to the edge of the panel.
      6) Place shims or remove tabs. Carefully reinstall the bezel.
      7) Test the TV.
      8) Flip TV back over and install the back cover.
      9) Test again.

Shimming will be trial-and-error. Also, you may think that you have it working and then when you pick up the TV to move it to another location or to install the legs or to mount the TV on the wall, things will shift and the shimming will come undone. Removing the tabs avoids this hassle.

Comment

The “tabs” you speak of...are those the short ribbon flaps that long the left vertical side of the panel? Or the ribbons that are connected to the narrow boards along the bottom(which connect to the Tcon board?

I have ordered some Thermal padding which I have read others used to shim/add pressure to tabs when bezel is reinstalled. Not quite sure how I use the padding exactly but it was a suggestion.

Comment

I am currently working on. Here is the picture of the side tabs...should I pull them out from behind the black plastic protectors?

I have tapped the address bar left side only and it's ribbons but nothing on the screen changed.

I'm a bit at a loss as to what's next...
          Attached Files

Comment

I have disconnected the left Tcon ribbon and it seems there is still a darkening fade occurring even past center.

I have also just notice some horizontal sections or lines in my image. I didn't notice those earlier.

So what might all that indicate?
            Attached Files

Comment

Strange, I also don't appear to have any sound either...

Comment

Originally posted by dragonsbb16 View Post
                Strange, I also don't appear to have any sound either...
                Ok I had a moment of confusion. I have sound. My painters tape was prevent speaker to move...

Comment

So the side of the screen that is shown in your Post #25 picture is the "good" side. The "lines" and the fading are all due to the un-powered (but still present) drivers on the other side loading down the good side. There are eight side tabs and each drives 1/8th of the screen, so the slight lines are the boundary between each 1/8th zone. When you fix the problem with the bad side (by shimming or removal of tabs), all should be well.

The black plastic protectors are supposed to keep the tabs tucked-in so they do not get damaged when installing/removing the bezel. Peel off the protectors on the bad side and do some more tickling to see if you can find bad connections.

Comment

Originally posted by Charleyd View Post
                    So the side of the screen that is shown in your Post #25 picture is the "good" side. The "lines" and the fading are all due to the un-powered (but still present) drivers on the other side loading down the good side. There are eight side tabs and each drives 1/8th of the screen, so the slight lines are the boundary between each 1/8th zone. When you fix the problem with the bad side (by shimming or removal of tabs), all should be well.

The black plastic protectors are supposed to keep the tabs tucked-in so they do not get damaged when installing/removing the bezel. Peel off the protectors on the bad side and do some more tickling to see if you can find bad connections.
                    Makes sense that the added load is causing stress on the good side which probably accounts for the horizontal lines.

I have pressed, jiggled, gently flicked all 8 of the "bad side" tabs. Nothing I did improved the image. I didn't apply any thermal padding, because I didn't see any response from me touching them so I thought id just return it and get my $28 bucks back.

Those "tab protectors" are installed on the panel frame. So when installing the panel you actually have to pry back the black tabs and slide the tabs into place. Are you suggesting i tear those black tabs off on the bad side?

I feel I am sort of at a loss and not sure what to try next, if anything.
                    Last edited by dragonsbb16; 01-10-2019, 10:37 AM.

Comment

The black protectors can be pealed off. This would make it easier and safer to play with the tabs. Have you tried examining the tabs for cracks with some magnification? You could also re-connect the T-Con ribbon and feel for any of the little ICs bonded in the middle of the side tabs to see if any are getting hot.

Comment

[Regarding your comment that there is still a darkening fade occurring even past center, it is not the case that the left half of the screen is only connected to the left side drivers and the right half is only connected to the right. In the vertical direction this is the case, but the connections in the panel that run horizontally between the drivers and the LCDs themselves go all the way across, tying the left and right sides together. That is how, as I said earlier, that, in your TV, the bad side is loading down the good side. The drivers on the opposing edges are supposed to be doing the same thing, and the redundancy is apparently to make sure that the signal reaches all parts of the panel in a timely fashion (reference the page labeled "Page 27" in the presentation here:
                        web.nchu.edu.tw/pweb/users/fansen_wang/lesson/7043.pdf ). However, discussions on this forum have indicated that operating LCD TVs with the drivers on one side removed does not noticeably affect the TV appearance, and I have removed the side tabs on several TVs now and can confirm this. So back to why the darkening does not show a clean cut-off when one of the T-Con ribbon cables is disconnected, while the good side is trying to drive the horizontal lines to the correct voltages from one end, the other side is trying to hold the lines to probably something like zero voltage from the other end. Hence, the voltage along the horizontal lines varies from "correct" at one end to "off" at the other end across the width of the screen, and the LCDs will start to fade wherever the voltage in the horizontal lines drops below some threshold. When you get rid of the dead load, either by re-enabling the bad side drivers or removing them altogether, all should be well.]

Comment

The black protectors can be pealed off. This would make it easier and safer to play with the tabs. Have you tried examining the tabs for cracks with some magnification? You could also re-connect the T-Con ribbon and feel for any of the little ICs bonded in the middle of the side tabs to see if any are getting hot.
                          I have visually inspected the side tabs on the bad side and did not see any cracks or "kinks" on the tabs. Honestly, I didn't look at the good side. I do not have any tool I can use to inspect them under magnification.

As for the TCon ribbons, I have taken them off and also inspected them. They look in great shape as well. I have also ensured those 2 ribbons are seated fully.

Comment

[Regarding your comment that there is still a darkening fade occurring even past center, it is not the case that the left half of the screen is only connected to the left side drivers and the right half is only connected to the right. In the vertical direction this is the case, but the connections in the panel that run horizontally between the drivers and the LCDs themselves go all the way across, tying the left and right sides together. That is how, as I said earlier, that, in your TV, the bad side is loading down the good side. The drivers on the opposing edges are supposed to be doing the same thing, and the redundancy is apparently to make sure that the signal reaches all parts of the panel in a timely fashion (reference the page labeled "Page 27" in the presentation here:
                            web.nchu.edu.tw/pweb/users/fansen_wang/lesson/7043.pdf ). However, discussions on this forum have indicated that operating LCD TVs with the drivers on one side removed does not noticeably affect the TV appearance, and I have removed the side tabs on several TVs now and can confirm this. So back to why the darkening does not show a clean cut-off when one of the T-Con ribbon cables is disconnected, while the good side is trying to drive the horizontal lines to the correct voltages from one end, the other side is trying to hold the lines to probably something like zero voltage from the other end. Hence, the voltage along the horizontal lines varies from "correct" at one end to "off" at the other end across the width of the screen, and the LCDs will start to fade wherever the voltage in the horizontal lines drops below some threshold. When you get rid of the dead load, either by re-enabling the bad side drivers or removing them altogether, all should be well.]

I will be honest, my knowledge of TVs and electrical configurations like what your PDF discusses just is not there. So forgive me if I ask what might appear to be stupid or redundant questions with inaccurate terminology.

So in your experience you have physically removed tabs on one side of a TV panel and it still worked? Or is that not what you meant?

So it is possible that it could be one of the tabs on the "good side" causing the issues on the far side? Because of voltages, not reaching the other end?

Comment

As discussed by posters in your thread, the issue is somewhere with the side associated with the dark side of the display. IF you were only seeing "darkness" on that "half" then your problem might be with the signalling / powering going from the bottom edge board(s) to the side edge boards. These are passed between the mentioned boards with small ribbon cables at the bottom corner of the panel... they interconnect the two boards. They are disconnectable much like the tcon to panel cables. You can try checking those to make sure they are seated properly since you took apart the panel to work the led, they may have gotten disturbed.

However, you mentioned that you are seeing horizontal lines. This is likely a problem with one of the tabs on the side somewhere in the area near said lines. You might feel the tab in the area to see if it is running hotter than others (gently touch the tab area).
                              It is unlikely that using a "pressure pad" will fix this problem.... of course, it cost little to try. Ultimately, the "save" operation is to remove all the tabs on the bad side. This allows the tabs on the other side to drive the panel "unimpeded" by any bad tabs from the other side. In general, the panel / display will look basically normal unless you have "golden eyes"... you may see some slight differences in uniformity across the panel especially on pictures of large area of same / color / brightness (eg. sky, water, scrolling banners, etc) but for general viewing, the set will perform well.

NOTE: the removal operation is a "one time event"... once they are removed, they CAN NOT be put back so be certain that this is your only option. Read up some of the many other thread on this type of "save". Many, many have used it successfully to keep a panel out of the dump and in your house.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                As discussed by posters in your thread, the issue is somewhere with the side associated with the dark side of the display. IF you were only seeing "darkness" on that "half" then your problem might be with the signalling / powering going from the bottom edge board(s) to the side edge boards. These are passed between the mentioned boards with small ribbon cables at the bottom corner of the panel... they interconnect the two boards. They are disconnectable much like the tcon to panel cables. You can try checking those to make sure they are seated properly since you took apart the panel to work the led, they may have gotten disturbed.

However, you mentioned that you are seeing horizontal lines. This is likely a problem with one of the tabs on the side somewhere in the area near said lines. You might feel the tab in the area to see if it is running hotter than others (gently touch the tab area).
                                It is unlikely that using a "pressure pad" will fix this problem.... of course, it cost little to try. Ultimately, the "save" operation is to remove all the tabs on the bad side. This allows the tabs on the other side to drive the panel "unimpeded" by any bad tabs from the other side. In general, the panel / display will look basically normal unless you have "golden eyes"... you may see some slight differences in uniformity across the panel especially on pictures of large area of same / color / brightness (eg. sky, water, scrolling banners, etc) but for general viewing, the set will perform well.

NOTE: the removal operation is a "one time event"... once they are removed, they CAN NOT be put back so be certain that this is your only option. Read up some of the many other thread on this type of "save". Many, many have used it successfully to keep a panel out of the dump and in your house.
                                Thank you for your insight.
                                I am going to attach some additional images of the screen and side tabs.
                                I couldn't inspect them under magnification, BUT i took pictures of each one with my good Nikon camera and zoomed in on the ribbons...I could not see any concerning marks or areas. I removed the black plastic tab covers from the bad side.

When I tap the exposed side tabs or press them, I get no change to the image.

I have also took a picture of the bad side address board...again no visible issues with the board or ribbons and their connections.

If I tap the panel with my fingertips, I do get a white flicker, but I think that happens even on new TV's.

Assuming I am mentally prepared to trash the TV if this goes bad....how do I remove the 8 side tabs on the panel?
                                Attached Files

Comment

In simple terms, just peel them off. You would like to get them completely off. For me, it seems that if I just peel from the top-down or bottom-up, the last little corner tears off and stays on the panel. This may or may not cause a problem. What I do is tear in one direction but only peeling up about half of the tab. Then I start at the other end and remove the tab completely.

budwich: This TV does not have side boards.
                                  Last edited by Charleyd; 01-10-2019, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Yes I (and others) have physically removed tabs on one side of a TV panel and the TV worked essentially good-as-new. I expect that you are about to save your TV. (And on the good side, make sure that the black protectors are in good shape and the tabs are tucked behind them. Be gentle with the tabs.)
                                    Last edited by Charleyd; 01-10-2019, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Yes I (and others) have physically removed tabs on one side of a TV panel and the TV worked essentially good-as-new. I expect that you are about to save your TV. (And on the good side, make sure that the black protectors are in good shape and the tabs are tucked behind them. Be gentle with the tabs.)
                                      On the good side, I haven't really done anything with the tabs or black protectors. I will confirm, but those should still be ready to go.

This is my last shot. If this doesn't work, the TV will be out at the curb next Wednesday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonsbb16 View Post
                                        On the good side, I haven't really done anything with the tabs or black protectors. I will confirm, but those should still be ready to go.

This is my last shot. If this doesn't work, the TV will be out at the curb next Wednesday morning.
                                        If I remove 1 Tab on the bad side could i test the image and see if that "horizontal band" is fixed? OR do I need to remove all 8 tabs before testing?

Comment

The side tabs work in a bucket-brigade fashion. The T-Con sends a Start signal to the first (top) one to start, and when it finishes driving its corresponding 1/8th of the screen, the IC in the first tab sends a trigger to the second one to start, and so-on. So they must all be good or all be removed.

Comment

Working...
                                          X