LG 50LA6970 backlight turns off after 2-4 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 50LA6970 backlight turns off after 2-4 minutes

So I have a lot of experience with LED's going bad. Most of the time they either wont turn on at all or they come on for a split second and then go out (and you can still see the picture doing the flashlight test. The LED's on this set go off after about 3 minutes. I can even play some XBOX or cable on it for these 3 minutes - then they go out and I can still see the picture with the flashlight. My question is: Is this looking more like a LED Driver board problem because of the amount of time it takes for the LED's to go out? From my experience they usually turn off/go out fast if one or a couple LED's are bad on a strip/strips. Also, why would it take long for the backlight to go out if an LED were going bad. When I get home I am going to see if when they go out, I can turn the TV on again and see if they stay out or come back on again for another 2-4 minutes. I have LED strip tester as well that I can use on the LED's but havent taken it apart yet. Thanks for the help or comments (I'd like to know what you guys think from what i've told you). I will get pics of boards, etc later today.

Re: LG 50LA6970 backlight turns off after 2-4 minutes

My guess is it's the LED backlights and not the Driver. If one LED on a strip is bad it will take longer to shut down. Maybe not every strip is bad in this case, hence the reason for the longer time to shutdown.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah, I guess that is true, it could just be 1 led on 1 strip. Ill take the LED strips out and test to see who the culprit is... Ill also look for bad grounds/solder joints. Someone else was having issues with those on another one of these but their symptoms were the backlights were flashing on/off like flickering

Comment

Flashing on/off could be the same issue as with yours. Be careful handling that big screen, they crack easy.

Comment

Going to check this over the weekend, havent had time yet. Oh yeah, have to be careful. I have now successfully fixed 2 75" Samsungs that had bad LED strips so I know how it is with large panels... its freakin scary LOL

42-60" seem like nothing to remove now haha

Comment

Working...
          X