DVD player stuck in 'startup'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD player stuck in 'startup'?

DVD player from power up stays in 'startup' mode, green led lights up but nothing else happens. Sometimes the DVD tray will eject on power up but no other response from remote or front panel. The VFD panel does not light up either.

Please can someone help!
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by notallbad; 02-12-2018, 06:43 PM.

Re: DVD player stuck in 'startup'?

No make, No model, No pictures = No help
    Last edited by R_J; 02-12-2018, 06:24 PM.

Comment

yeah, having trouble uploading at the moment.
      bear with me.

Comment

Are those connections poorly soldered on ic105 in the power supply section? resolder them and that should fix it.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by R_J; 02-12-2018, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Re-flowed the solder joints but sadly no change.

Comment

The connections looked to be bad, were they? What is that ic? looks like it is the 9 volt line. maybe the bad connections caused it to fail, also if they were that bad there may be other similar parts with bad connections.
            On P9501 pin 15 looks like it is unsoldered? or is the pin just missing? same goes for P6401 pin 17
            Can you check fuse F103 (near secondary of transformer)
            Last edited by R_J; 02-12-2018, 07:41 PM.

Comment

IC105 - KA78R08 low dropout volt reg, they were ok I think but reflowed anyway.

P9501 & P6401 pins are both present and have been reflowed anyway but no change.

Fusible link F103 tests ok.

Comment

Are all the voltages present from the power supply? You should also be able to measure the filament votage on the display, it is the outer pins marked F, on each side of the display, there should be about 3-5 volts a/c across them
                Last edited by R_J; 02-12-2018, 08:08 PM.

Comment

P6401
                  pin 5 - 12VA reads 10.8v
                  pin 20 - 5v A reads 4.97v
                  pin 21 - 5v A reads 4.97v
                  pin 25 - 12v reads 10.92v (voltage only present with controller board connected)
                  pin 27 - 4.2v reads 4.97v

P9501
                  pin 5 - 5VD reads 4.97v
                  pin 6 - 5VD reads 4.97v
                  pin 11 - 3.3VM reads 3.12v
                  pin 12 - 3.3VM reads 3.12v
                  pin 13 - 3V reads 3.14v
                  pin 15 - 2.5V reads 2.75v
                  pin 17 - 8V reads 7.6v
                  pin 18 - 8V reads 7.6v
                  pin 23 - PWR CTL reads 4.64v
                  pin 28 - M RESET reads 4.76v
                  pin 29 - MODE SW reads 4.72v

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                    Are all the voltages present from the power supply? You should also be able to measure the filament votage on the display, it is the outer pins marked F, on each side of the display, there should be about 3-5 volts a/c across them
                    What points to I measure across to get that reading, should there also be a D.C volt on there too?

directly across F+ and F- reads 7.2v ac
                    gnd to F+ gives 20.3v dc
                    gnd to F- gives 23.9v dc

Comment

Those voltages seem to be ok on the display, it gets driven by the microprocessor.
                      I could not find a schematic on this dvd, If you can look up the microprocessor number, make sure it has the correct voltage to it, check the power on button and check the line back to the micro to make sure the comand is getting to it. there is a small ic near the micro. labled ic902, whats the number on it, It could be the micro's reset ic.
                      Last edited by R_J; 02-12-2018, 09:00 PM.

Comment

IC902 - KIA70420AP Volt detector

The nearest SM I could find is attached, not exact but very close.

The power on button removed checks out ok. Also reads 4.8v between pins 1 & 2 of P9902, drops to 0v when power button pressed.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by notallbad; 02-12-2018, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Check the voltage on that reset ic in case it is holding the micro in reset.
                          the voltages seem to be all there which seems to mean the power control line is turned on, I would think if the unit was in standby that line should be low coming from the micro

Comment

There are no markings on IC901, P9902 Pin 2- PowerKey goes to P9904 Pin 1 - KeyIn1 and to Pin 23 on IC901.

IC902 reads Pin 1 - 4.85v and Pin 3 - 4.84v.

Comment

On those regulator ic's ic105, ic106 & ic107, Pin 1 is used to turn them on and off, It would seem they are turned on, that control comes from the microprocessor, so something does'nt seem right with it.
                              If you monitor the pin 3 of ic902, with power pluged in, then unplug for 1/2 sec and plug back in does that voltage go to 0 then back to 4,8 ?

Comment

IC902 Pin 1 goes to IC901 Pins 24 & 25
                                IC902 Pin 3 goes to IC901 Pin 6

Comment

Needs to be switched off for 1-2 secs before Pin 3 drops out to 0v and then recover to 4.8v.

Power off for 0-1sec the voltage remains steady at 4.8v.

Comment

ic 902 is the reset ic for the microprocessor. it needs to see a reset pulse after the unit is pluged in. that tells the microprocessor to start its code from the begining.
                                    I guess the reset pulse is most likely ok.
                                    Last edited by R_J; 02-12-2018, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                      On those regulator ic's ic105, ic106 & ic107, Pin 1 is used to turn them on and off, It would seem they are turned on, that control comes from the microprocessor, so something does'nt seem right with it.
                                      If you monitor the pin 3 of ic902, with power pluged in, then unplug for 1/2 sec and plug back in does that voltage go to 0 then back to 4,8 ?
                                      Needs to be switched off for 1-2 secs before Pin 3 drops out to 0v and then recover to 4.8v.

Power off for 0-1sec the voltage remains steady at 4.8v.

This was done with the Controller board and dvd tray disconnected!

With the Controller board and dvd tray connected IC902 Pin 3 drops out when power removed for 0-1secs.

Comment

On closer inspection I.C901 uController is a PD780232.

RESET pin is 'notted' (active low) so see the point to I.C902 KIA0742P.

Would I be correct in assuming that if IC901 is 'dead', or corrupted ROM this unit has effectively had it? It would seem the ROM is programmed at factory so who knows what the address code/operations would be.

Though not quite given up yet! It has occurred to me that the crystal could be at fault, is that possible considering the unit could well have been moved about alot with undue care. How could I check that?

What else could cause the ucontroller to behave unresponsive, all voltages appear correct coming from the power supply and around the boards.

I would expect at the very least that the VFD would come on if the problem was with the Main Controller board or the DVD Tray laser etc...

Comment

Working...
                                        X