Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanyo DP58D33 Picture goes out, Sound OK

Hi,

First, thank-you in advance for your help.

My mother has a Sanyo DP58D33 that is exhibiting this behavior:

When powered On, the screen will eventually go black suddenly, but the sound remains as normal. If seems like the longer the TV has been turned Off, the longer the time it takes for the screen to go black once it's turned on again. If left unplugged overnite, it works OK for a couple of hours. If powered Off for only 30 minutes, it seems like the screen quits displaying after just a few minutes. To a novice like me, this seems to point to a possible thermal issue....somewhere. After doing some reading in this forum, I verified that you can barely see the video display by getting close to the screen and shining an LED flashlight. And the screen won't start working correctly until the TV is powered Off and allowed to remain Off for longer than just a few minutes.

We bought her a new TV to replace this Sanyo, but she doesn't like it. If I can determine what the problem might be, it will help me decide it it's worth repairing, or trying to find a replacement she likes.

Thank you for any ideas.

Jon

Re: Sanyo DP58D33 Picture goes out, Sound OK

I didn't mention in my post that we did remove the back of the TV, and visually inspected the components for anything that looked suspicious, but everything looked OK. We also checked for loose plug-in connections and everything looked good, and didn't see loose connectors soldered on the boards, either.

I repaired an LG TV a couple of years ago, but it had obvious bad caps on the power supply board, so I have had some experience. I'm just not sure where to begin with this Sanyo TV since nothing is screaming out. I was hoping that the symptoms I described might help an experienced tech say, "Oh yeah, that's got to be.....". But it's probably not quite that simple.

Thanks again for any help.

Jon

Comment

Re: Sanyo DP58D33 Picture goes out, Sound OK

When it goes black blow air on to the tcon board. Make sure the air reaches the board not just the metal case. If the picture comes back you need to add venting to the board. I would remove the tape and drill holes in the metal casing. Drill the holes when you remove the metal casing from the tcon board. I was not sure in your post if the backlights are off.

Comment

Working...
      X