LG 60PB6650 - Black Vertical Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 60PB6650 - Black Vertical Bar

I was watching TV and suddenly the a thick vertical black bar appeared near the center of the screen.

After some research, I found out it could be caused by one of the ribbon cables connected to a buffer board or a blown component on the board itself. I opened the TV and looked around for some burned out components on any of the boards but didn't find anything.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the ribbon cables marked with a red arrow did not fix the issue. When I leave the ribbon cables under the red arrows disconnected there is no change in the picture. When I disconnect the ribbon cable under the green arrow, there is a new thinner black bar next to the existing black bar, but it is not as black as the original one. This is leading me to believe it may be the panel itself that is the problem.

Would replacing the buffer board that the ribbon cables are connected to have any effect? Or am I out of luck?

Any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: LG 60PB6650 - Black Vertical Bar

"DO NOT RUN SET WITHOUT THAT METAL STRIP SCREWED DOWN"
    could be lower buffer but more then likely panel fault
    re-seat all ribbon cables

Comment

Address buffer failure, not fixable as they are bonded to the panel. Have fun smashing it I know I would
      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Just occasionally the supply SMD resistor to the COF chip fails giving a black bar--but in your case, it would be the supply to Two adjacent chips due to the bar width...
        TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
        http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
        PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair E View Post
          Just occasionally the supply SMD resistor to the COF chip fails giving a black bar--but in your case, it would be the supply to Two adjacent chips due to the bar width...
          Which board would that be on? Would you happen to have a schematic available to help me determine if this is the case?

Comment

I have the same vertical line but different than yours, see this thread https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41450
            When I connect 1 flex wire it make the whole section of middle X Center buffer become black.
            I am also hopeless, But Before I give up the panel to recycling I order X Center buffer just to try. I will let you know next week.

Comment

Originally posted by sukaht View Post
              I have the same vertical line but different than yours, see this thread https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41450
              When I connect 1 flex wire it make the whole section of middle X Center buffer become black.
              I am also hopeless, But Before I give up the panel to recycling I order X Center buffer just to try. I will let you know next week.
              I know it's a long shot but I ordered a new XC buffer as well. It was only $15 on eBay so it's worth a try I guess.

Comment

As Alastair E and Reecy stated, not repairable.
                Last edited by rccrasher65; 08-25-2016, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
                  Address buffer failure, not fixable as they are bonded to the panel. Have fun smashing it I know I would
                  Originally posted by Alastair E View Post
                  Originally posted by rccrasher65 View Post
                  As Alastair E and Reecy stated, not repairable.
                  Damn.

Are any of you guys certified LG service repair providers?

In order to file my extended warranty claim I need an "Itemized repair estimate from a factory-authorized service provider or a statement indicating that the item cannot be repaired".

If someone could provide something attesting to this on their company letterhead I would very much appreciate it. That way I won't have to pay to have someone come and tell me the TV can't be fixed. Thanks

Comment

Afraid not, check google for some near you matey.
                    Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 08-25-2016, 05:55 PM.
                    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Sal,

Please post what your updates are with fixing your set. The other day, I just got the exact same vertical black bar in the same location on my 60pb6650.

Unfortunately, 4 months ago I just went through replacing the YSUS and buffer boards to fix their failure when it was 1 year and 1 month old. Seems these sets are filled with chintzy boards/components.

Comment

Originally posted by uncaged View Post
                        Sal,

Please post what your updates are with fixing your set. The other day, I just got the exact same vertical black bar in the same location on my 60pb6650.

Unfortunately, 4 months ago I just went through replacing the YSUS and buffer boards to fix their failure when it was 1 year and 1 month old. Seems these sets are filled with chintzy boards/components.
                        I'm getting a new XC buffer in the mail tomorrow but I doubt it will make any difference according to what the experts here are saying. Will let you know what happens.

Comment

Even experts can sometimes get it wrong so it would be worth knowing how you get on with the replacement.
                          Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Just tried new XC - same thing. Thanks for the quality product LG.

Comment

Originally posted by salfasano View Post
                              Just tried new XC - same thing. Thanks for the quality product LG.
                              Its a shame as this has probably confirmed its a unrepairable panel probelm which seems to happen too a lot of lg plasmas, but as you know all the boards are good you maybe able too sell them all and get some good money for them, people will even probably buy the stand and even the remote control.

Comment

Just as a follow up and warning to others:

I took my set apart to sell the boards, and inspected everything. Here's what I found:
                                The PDP X ribbons have an embedded chip in them. The metal plate that is over the X buffer boards across the bottom has heat sink pads on it that mate against the chips to cool them. My plate must have had a bow to it, because I could see in the heat sink pads where they were smooshed on the outer edges and gradually got less impressed toward the center to the point where the one that failed barely had any impression at all. There was no residual heat sink material on the chip that failed, and there was material on every other one.

So be warned! If you are taking the back of the set off for something else, I would say it's well worth the effort to check this heatsink engagement with the ribbon chips, and apply heatsink compound as necessary to prevent this failure. They may not have put it together correctly at the factory!

Comment

Working...
                                X