Sharp LC-60LE633U 2-5 flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp LC-60LE633U 2-5 flash

I bought this set to play with, and if I can fix it, replace my other ailing one.

The symptom when initially received was 2 long blink, 5 quick ones.
    SVC manual says its the error is PANEL_POW.
    So I check that, sure its 0v. STBY power is good

I reset the TV and jump started it( hold volume/channel while pluggin in).
    TV icon lights up and stays solid.
    I probe around the board, 12V,3.3,sdby and 74vdc at the led power pins.
    There are 4 pairs, and each pair shows~74vdc solid.
    Tcon has 12V. Checked a few FBs on tcon, none are open.

Next, I disconnected the t-con ribbons and repeated the procedure.
    The icon comes on, but I dont see any backlight.

Next, with all parts connected and without jumpstarting the tv, I plugged it in and can see 12V come up for quite a few seconds, then it shuts down- with the flashing.It behaves as if its expecting some feedback but not receiving, then shutting down.

With tcon ribbons disconnected, without jumpstarting, I see the same behavior, and no back light.

Is my next step now to check the actual LEDs? Is is expected to throw 2-5 error with bad back light?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by calimark; 11-29-2015, 08:45 AM.

Re: Sharp LC-60LE633U 2-5 flash

When connected to a HDMI source, I get audio after trying all the inputs to find the one it's tuned to.
    Why would all leds be out if there are 4 sets of voltages

Comment

only disconnect one tcon cable. See what happens, swap and try other. Anything different?

Comment

Hopefully it's not the panel, as luck would have it the 60 inch panels don't use sideboards.

Sharp managed to incorporate the horizontal driving technology into the vertical gate drivers on the 60's and lower onch panels. The only ones that I found that use horizontal gate drivers with their attached boards are 70 inch and up. Even my 80 inch has attached side driver boards
        Last edited by freakaftr8; 11-29-2015, 11:57 AM.
        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
          only disconnect one tcon cable. See what happens, swap and try other. Anything different?
          This set really has demons. I read a thread on here where you worked on a very strange set.
          One tconn off is the same as 2 off. No difference in symptoms- I have tried them individually.

I had left the TV alone since my opening post. I left it turned off, but plugged in (after the jump start testing sequence).
          Just now, I turned the set on, and I heard sound as usual.
          Then about 30seconds after sound the backlight came on. I looked from behind and it seemed that all were lit, but still no picture.

I turned it off then on, backlight has not come back up.

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
            Hopefully it's not the panel, as luck would have it the 60 inch panels don't use sideboards.
            I found a document about shorts to the metal at the bottom for these models.
            I checked down there, nothing seems to be touching.

The erratic behavior has be second guessing what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by calimark View Post
              This set really has demons. I read a thread on here where you worked on a very strange set.
              One tconn off is the same as 2 off. No difference in symptoms- I have tried them individually.

I had left the TV alone since my opening post. I left it turned off, but plugged in (after the jump start testing sequence).
              Just now, I turned the set on, and I heard sound as usual.
              Then about 30seconds after sound the backlight came on. I looked from behind and it seemed that all were lit, but still no picture.

I turned it off then on, backlight has not come back up.
              If you get back in the situation again... try hitting the menu button to see what comes up, if anything on the screen. My Sharp had similar "startup fun" before I was able to get things to show up. Its too bad that the 60 design basically utilizes only the bottom edge boards.

Comment

My guess is you could have a faulty tcon board. You have to or for ribbon cables outputting to the panel? You could try the only one connected at a time and try the power up sequence

Comment

Do you know if there is a relationship btwn tcon and backlight?
                  I'd like to suspect tcon but the backlight being non functional really is a monkey wrench.
                  It could have 2 issues

Comment

another idea on trying to isolate the potential condition.... not about the lower edge boards but on my sharp there were four... two on "each half side". They were connected together via "unclippable flex cables" (look like little "U"'s). You might try disconnecting those while leaving the tcon cabling connected and see if that changes anything. That's how I eventually got to the "realization" of disconnecting the similar "corner cabling" on the 70 in sets. It might isolate a faulty driver enough IF that is happening... maybe.... just a thought though.

Comment

I took the panel off to check leds.
                      I made the mistake of disconnecting 2 of 4 strips before powering up.
                      Upon power up 2 strips lit up perfectly.Powered down and reconnected the other 2. All 4 work.
                      So now I'm unable to reproduce dead led strip....

Next, reassemble the panel including tcon ribbons etc....
                      Turn it on, still have sound. No picture, but backlight is good.

Next play with ribbons:
                      Unclipped two of the 'U' ribbon on the left side from behind the set (did not fully remove as its near impossible!).
                      You can see about 1/4 of the right side screen was grey in the photo.
                      Clipped em back in screen black.

Removed tcon from rear left, keeping the right one on:
                      Scren left side black, screen right side grey as shown in photo.

I reversed which cable was connected, and tried again. Entire screen black.
                      I tried this reverse scenario a few times and once I was able to see the left side of screen grey, while right side black.

So as of now jumpstarting- I can get audio, consistent backlight.
                      I can get split grey/black screen by playing with with tcon cable is connected.
                      Attached Files

Comment

are you having / seeing any input signal / display? Menu / display?

Comment

Negative. I can switch inputs blindly, that's about it.

Comment

so you don't see any portions of a menu display... note you will only see it on the "black side" not the grey side... if at all.

Anyways, based on pictures in the visio 70 "thread" from someone who was looking at a visio 60, my guess is that you may have a tcon issue... they were able to get partial displays with a working tcon but their panel had issues :-(

Comment

Since you're getting a grey screen when you connect up the tcon to the panel that means your panel is getting voltage and the tcon is performing its duty properly. This would lead me to believe that it's actually not getting a fed video signal from the main board. Without an oscilloscope reading the measurements from the LVDS cable I might be advised to say that you have a main board fault.

Too bad there is not a jumper setting to feed a test signal to the panel on these boards.
                              Last edited by freakaftr8; 11-30-2015, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                                Since you're getting a grey screen when you connect up the tcon to the panel that means your panel is getting voltage and the tcon is performing its duty properly. This would lead me to believe that it's actually not getting a fed video signal from the main board. Without an oscilloscope reading the measurements from the LVDS cable I might be advised to say that you have a main board fault.

Too bad there is not a jumper setting to feed a test signal to the panel on these boards.
                                The gray side is the 'disconnected side'. Front right = rear left.

Comment

From both freakaftr8 and budwich's reponse, I gather you're not leaning towards the panel?

If so I can probe around the tconn some more. Obviously 12V has to be broken down even further on that board, so at the least I can probe out some smaller voltages.

Comment

"The gray side is the 'disconnected side'. Front right = rear left."
                                    I think that is in agreement with the "reference" that I stated earlier.
                                    Anyways, since you are not seeing any menu stuff, it could be possible that the main controller isn't communicating to the tcon. I think since it appears that the controller has some "brains" enough to flash codes, that it must be somewhat functional... imlo. I think if it was a panel issue, you would be seeing "stranger" things on the display once it comes up.
                                    Last edited by budwich; 11-30-2015, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                      so you don't see any portions of a menu display... note you will only see it on the "black side" not the grey side... if at all.
                                      Correct, and that's where I looked

Comment

12 volts gets broken down into three or four different voltages. Something like 3.3 volts 2.0 volts 1.1 volts in somewhere around 18 to 25 volts. Look for these voltages outputting from each individual inductors on the tcon board.
                                        If you're getting those voltages at least you know that the tcon is trying to output voltages to the panel

Comment

Working...
                                        X