• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sourcing led backlight strips...

Possibly. Just hard to tell from a pic.
    ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

I found on some LED strips like you showed usually 4 chnnels each channel had 25 leds.
      They are a pain to remove becsause the back of the LED where its bonded to heatsink with a heatsink epoxy. without it they get too hot and fail prematurely.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltank View Post
        I found on some LED strips like you showed usually 4 chnnels each channel had 25 leds.
        They are a pain to remove becsause the back of the LED where its bonded to heatsink with a heatsink epoxy. without it they get too hot and fail prematurely.
        Where did you find these??? Sounds right cause these are like super stupid sticky glued to the metal...

:chug:

Comment

These ones have a ground plain on the back. Real pain to get off in one piece. I got about 10 off, but at the expense of ruining the strip. I sliced them off with a sharp razor and then removes the remains of the traces from them. I think you are going to have to just get them hot and break them in half, if you don't want to damage your strip. And these work at 3.2v, I'm blind now BTW.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
            These ones have a ground plain on the back. Real pain to get off in one piece. I got about 10 off, but at the expense of ruining the strip. I sliced them off with a sharp razor and then removes the remains of the traces from them. I think you are going to have to just get them hot and break them in half, if you don't want to damage your strip. And these work at 3.2v, I'm blind now BTW.
            LOL! I'm sorry your blind now. I guess I'm not following how your talking about putting them back on... Would getting them hot and breaking them in half, um, break them?

Comment

I mean, removing the bad ones from your board. I'm saying, trying to remove them in one piece will probably result in damaging the rest of your strip, which you need to save. If you just get them hot enough, they will break apart. Then you can desolder the individual pieces from the strip. I already got 10 off and they are in good shape.

Comment

I mean, removing the bad ones from your board. I'm saying, trying to remove them in one piece will probably result in damaging the rest of your strip, which you need to save. If you just get them hot enough, they will break apart. Then you can desolder the individual pieces from the strip. I already got 10 off and they are in good shape.
                oh. We've already removed what we believed was the bad one... with a pocket knife... :yikes:

Comment

Oh, OK. I just did the same with a razor and flooding it with solder. Melting didn't work so good.

Comment

I would test the rest of them. Use 2 AA batteries in series. 2 new ones will be about 3.2v. The end with the little dot is positive. Wear sunglasses.

Comment

Putting them on is going to be tricky. You have to be quick, or they melt. Once you get them in place, you have to somehow heat the bottom to reflow the solder on that ground plain, or they won't last long.

Comment

Putting them on is going to be tricky. You have to be quick, or they melt. Once you get them in place, you have to somehow heat the bottom to reflow the solder on that ground plain, or they won't last long.
                        Duuuude. Thank you so much, I'm just happy to have a direction to go...

sucks to have that nice tv and 1 stupid little part keeps it from working...

Comment

It's nothing. I'll get them in the mail on Monday. Just be certain to let us know how it goes. And pay it forward.

Comment

I think I'm going to see if I can use one of these for a bulb in my mini Mag lite. These things are super bright.

Comment

Working...
                            X