any help would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance Graham
    Attached Files

Re: Sony kdl-37s5500

Hi does anybody know whats causing this problem
    thanks Graham

Comment

Seems like the gamma problem with the failed AS15 chip on the Tcon board.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Post a picture of the T-con board and we can help you test it if you have a multimeter of some kind.
          I had a KDL-37U4000 with a similar issue, I believe it to be of a similar series. And it was an AS15 gamma IC fault.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi, picture of T-con board
            regards Graham
            Attached Files

Comment

Top right corner of board.
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1404632754

There are points marked VG1,VG2,VG3...VG22. (Some may be missing.)

With your multimeter on the 20V range (or autoranging DC volts if available) test the voltage on each point. Red probe on the test pad, black on the chassis. Report each reading in order.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi have the same problem, customer took it to Authorised Sony service and they say it's the LCD and quote about $600 for repair. I am an apprentice trained TV eng and though a bit rusty on LCD I am no t stupid What do you think? It did Once flash up ok.

Comment

You can do the same test as detailed above and post your results. If you have decent surface mount soldering skills, repair will be easy and cost only a few £.
                  Last edited by tom66; 08-17-2014, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Does it matter about the rest of the letters and numbers after as15 on the as15 chip?

Comment

No, you can use AS15-F to replace AS15-U for example.

Comment

Yes it does. AS-15G must be replaced with AS-15G same with the F suffix and any others.....
                        TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                        http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                        PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                          No, you can use AS15-F to replace AS15-U for example.
                          Really Tom...?

I was lead to believe that you had to use the same suffix....
                          TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                          http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                          PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

From what I've heard, no T-con relies on the difference
                            (AS15-U = Unleaded, but not RoHS compliant due to bromide content; AS15-F = Lead Free RoHS, AS15-G = Lead Free RoHS with Thermal Pad.)

Comment

Thanks for that, both of you, so it really relies on how well the solder will take and how good you are, ia m pretty good and have soldered much bigger devices (apprentice trained City and Guilds Electronics Engineer).
                              Did any body have any thoughts about my reply, above, about the KDL 37s5500.
                              Sony authorised say its is the LCD and will cost £400. Don,t believe them as raster is present and vague, washed out image is there. Set brought to me after Sony. All PSU voltages correct

Comment

I think it is a gamma reference problem. However if you want to be sure, you can check the VGAMA, if they are poor it will prove the problem.

Comment

can you explain that to me. although qualified it was a long time ago and my lcd knowledge could be better.

Comment

See post 7
                                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...21&postcount=7

Comment

I have quite a few sony tv with the same issue. Where is a good place to get the AS-15G chips, Are the chips from china worth a crap ?
                                      Last edited by ijchan223; 08-17-2014, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Type the number into Ebay available for pounds.

Comment

Working...
                                        X