Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 42PG6010 No Sound - No Picture

Hi,

I have been attempting to repair an LG 42PG6000 series Plasma which so far has me a bit stumped as to what to try next.
    When applying power to the set the standby light blinks green 18 times before returning to a steady green. The screen appears to lighten up but no display only very fine sparkles when viewed up close and occasional pulses of brightness.
    I initially checked the voltages on the PSU which all appeared to be in order disconnecting Y-SUS Z-SUS boards and rechecking but did not appear to affect any readings.
    I replaced the main board with another similar matching board which made a difference to the startup behaviour and this time it would power on / power off 3 times before displaying the blinking green LED before steady green.
    I have also replaced the control board but this has not made any difference.
    My thoughts are now returning to the PSU board and wondering whether a component fault may be affecting the power output in some respect?
    There is one small capacitor that could be bulging ever so slightly but nothing else really that noticeable - all looks to be in order.
    I will run through the voltage checks again to double check but are there any other issues I should look out for on this model?
    Thanks in anticipation of any assistance.

Re: LG 42PG6010 No Sound - No Picture

Hi,

I have now completely overhauled the PSU to rule out any issues with power by replacing all caps and Q801 / Q802 / IC801 and related diodes and resistors.

TV will now power on and blink green 4 times and then shut off and repeats this cycle about 4 times before remaining off with red standby light.

Tomorrow I will attempt to check voltages once again on PSU with and without X / ZSUS boards connected to try and rule out sus boards / buffer board faults.

Think this one is going to be a bit of a long haul...

Comment

Well some good news to report after completing repairs to the PSU and replacing main board I now have a working TV.
      However I could only source a main board from a 32PG6000 model which is identical to the board fitted in my 42PG6010 (same part number but different EBR ref).
      I sourced what I thought was the correct firmware for the 42PG6010 and flashed it with TeraTerm via serial but when checking diagnostics on TV model shows as 32PG6000.
      There is also a approx 2" black area along the bottom of the screen which may indicate the board is set up for a 32 not a 42 inch display?
      Firmware text file in folder reads:

Model Model Option
      32PG6000 76000000
      32PG6010 76001004
      42PG6000 56000000
      42PG6010 56001004
      50PG4000 34000000
      50PG6000 36000000
      50PG6010 36001004
      50PG7000 37000001
      60PG7000 17000001

So assume I have the correct software but will now investigate if there is any way to change the model option in the service menu and hopefully utilise the entire screen.
      Any advice would be appreciated from anyone who has seen experienced this behaviour before.
      Many Thanks in anticipation of any help and for the great advice here in the forums that have allowed me to progress this far

Comment

seems to me like the board decides what screen size to run (the firmware is universal), and that board might be from a 32. check service menu, but i feel like an option to change model is unlikely. maybe try to find a non universal firmware and flash that?

Comment

Thanks ivoh,

Yes I had a feeling that might be the case however I have had a bit of luck resurrecting the main board that was removed from my 42PG6010 by using TeraTerm to serial flash the same firmware file.

I am assuming the power supply fault somehow corrupted the firmware preventing the TV from starting up once I had repaired the PSU.

My TV now works again and the diagnostics shows the set as a 42PG6010 and the 2 inch black area at the bottom of the screen is gone.

As I mentioned in my earlier thread I assumed the replacement main board I sourced from a 32PG6000 would work by flashing new firmware but as ivoh says there must be something else on the boards or further configuration needed for the board to function correctly in other models.

Taking a peek into the service menu did reveal a model option setting although this appears to be locked and cannot be changed?

Anyhow, Thanks to these forums I have successfully brought my TV back to life and everything appears to be working again as expected

Comment

Glad to hear you fixed your TV, for future users, could you share the firmware file or where you got it from?

32" LG plasma panels are 1024x720 (a bizarre combination of 4:3 and 16:9 resolution sizes) whereas 42" are 1024x768. This is probably why it did not work initially.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi Tom,

I have attached the firmware that I used to reprogram both the 32PG6000 and 42PG6010 main boards successfully.
              Option table and instructions from LG included in archive although my preference is to continue using TeraTerm and a serial connection to a PC.
              Thanks for the info regarding the screen resolutions as this is something I did not consider when I originally swapped the boards over. Fortunately I managed to recover the original main board so will now sell on the 32PG6000 part as surplus to my requirements.
              Thanks again.
              Attached Files

Comment

I have the 42pg6010 clicking power board due to bad caps , after replacing caps I was experiencing same issue with light flashing then staying green with no picture, I changed the eeprom on main board and tv came back to life but when tuning in kept freezing at 100% and had to be unplugged, using firmware link above updated and tv is fully working again, Thanks for posting it

Comment

I have 42pg6010 with av board at fault which is clicking power board in cycle when i connected same type of av board from 50pg6010 tv works fine the only problem is picture are slightly bigger I am looking to know is there anyway i can flash firmware in the faulty av board which belongs to its tv knowing that this board is not working..thx

Comment

I had a similar problem when using a 32PG board on my 48PG6010... In my case the picture was too small and flashing the board did not make any difference.
                    My only stroke of luck came when I successfully re-flashed the original 48PG board which restored the set to working order.

Comment

I have the same problem as the original poster, (42PG6010) one click from PSU (EAY43509401) on plugging power in, one click when unplugging power. Led on power button flashes 18 times no sound or picture.
                      No obvious signs of bulge or leaks from caps and on reading the above posts I'm guessing it can be a number of things that cause this.

1) Is it possible to flash via serial even though ive no picture or sound?
                      2) Would replacing the PSU resolve the problem
                      3) Are their any known issue's with that particular PSU that I could try.
                      4) Any advice to get this working would be great, its my sisters TV just over 2yrs old and a bad time of year for this to happen.

Thank you.

Comment

The click appears to come from the part with the barcode on it.
                        Can that part be replaced.

Thank you.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by smspop; 12-10-2014, 05:38 PM.

Comment

The issue that I had with the 18 blinks of LED power was almost certainly due to corrupted firmware on the mainboard although I did also take the opportunity to re-cap the power board at the same time.
                          Firmware was flashed with no picture or sound via serial connected PC which is sufficient to re-flash successfully.
                          As I obtained the set in a non-working condition I cannot say for sure whether the firmware corruption had been caused by a PSU fault or otherwise but it has now been working perfectly without issue for almost 7 months now.
                          Difficult part was getting the TV in a state to accept the flash from the PC.

Comment

Do you have a copy of the firmware you used, it would help others?
                            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi new to forum I have the same problem tv switches on no picture could you tell me how to flash firmware with teraterm got null modem cable etc

Comment

I too am new to the forum so hi all..
                                I arrived herenvia Google as I have the same model of TV which has been slowly deteriorating over a number of months. It has now finally given up the ghost, sound but no picture. After investigation there were several blown caps on the PSU board. Sourced a replacement and fitted it to no avail. Tried flashing firmware via USB which is difficult at best with no picture. Anyhow there is now nothing at all... No picture or sound. Any pointers as to what I should be looking at next would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ikilledbambi View Post
                                  Hi Tom,

I have attached the firmware that I used to reprogram both the 32PG6000 and 42PG6010 main boards successfully.
                                  Option table and instructions from LG included in archive although my preference is to continue using TeraTerm and a serial connection to a PC.
                                  Thanks for the info regarding the screen resolutions as this is something I did not consider when I originally swapped the boards over. Fortunately I managed to recover the original main board so will now sell on the 32PG6000 part as surplus to my requirements.
                                  Thanks again.
                                  Hi,
                                  Please for some info how can I flash my plasma LG 50PG4000 via serial port or Tera Term?

Rgds

Comment

Originally posted by ikilledbambi View Post
                                    Hi,

I have now completely overhauled the PSU to rule out any issues with power by replacing all caps and Q801 / Q802 / IC801 and related diodes and resistors.

TV will now power on and blink green 4 times and then shut off and repeats this cycle about 4 times before remaining off with red standby light.

Tomorrow I will attempt to check voltages once again on PSU with and without X / ZSUS boards connected to try and rule out sus boards / buffer board faults.

Think this one is going to be a bit of a long haul...
                                    Hi All Im absolutely new in this forum but i have a similar problem with my LG50PG6010.I changed all the capacitors , all the powers are present ( 5v,12v,16.5v,65v ) all ok.
                                    TV will now power on and blink green 4 times and then shut off and repeats this cycle about 4 times before the green flashes a .... times , and stay on , but no picture , no sound. I can see the screen is lighted up ,but no picture. When i switched on the tv first time , i can see some noises on the screen but after a sec is gone.just dark light.If anone can had a same problem , please help for me. (Thank you. (sorry about my bad english)

Comment

hi all !
                                      good news , now my tv is switching on first time , if i disconnect the av board from the psu.
                                      on the controllboard , i shorted out the self-test pins , and the test working fine.
                                      the picture very bright,and the colors all good.so,is possible the faulty av-board , or still psu issue ? thank you

Comment

Originally posted by dokymobil View Post
                                        hi all !
                                        good news , now my tv is switching on first time , if i disconnect the av board from the psu.
                                        on the controllboard , i shorted out the self-test pins , and the test working fine.
                                        the picture very bright,and the colors all good.so,is possible the faulty av-board , or still psu issue ? thank you
                                        a/v board (main) has failed, power supply is ok.

Comment

Working...
                                        X