Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung QE82Q70RAT no backlight

Hi everyone!

Hope you're all having a great day, and thank you very much for stopping by and taking the time to read this post to help me with my parents' Samsung TV.

My issue: No backlight.

Model: QE82Q70RAT
    Type No: QE82Q70RAT

The TV was already serviced by Samsung once under warranty for the exact same issue, but six months after the fix, the backlight went out again. Now, Samsung is asking for nearly the same price as a brand new TV to fix this with the same 6-month guarantee.

So hopefully, I can fix this cheaper.

I figured out that unplugging the power board from the LED driver board occasionally made the backlight work again.

My initial thought was that the driver was bad, so I found a cheap replacement, but that didn't fix it.

Maybe the power board is bad, but I believe I've checked all the Vdry and A13V output, and they seem to be fine, so I'm kinda lost.

The PSU board is: BN44-00983B
    The LED driver board is: BN44-00991A
    The main board is: BN94-13999B

If someone can tell me what to look for or measure, I have all the tools needed for the job. I'm just clueless about what to check.

I've noticed a pin named BLU_ON/OFF on the LED driver board, and it's at 5V when the TV is on.

There is a FAULT pin coming from the PSU board, and it's at 5V. I don't know if it's an active low pin; also, I can't see any visual damages.

On the PSU board, I've tested some dual common cathode Schottky diodes in a TO-220F-3L package; they seem to be fine. STB/ON is at 12.8V instead of 12.35V, Vdry is at 84.7V instead of 84V, and Vamp is at 17.8V instead of 17.1V. I don't think those discrepancies are significant.

If you need something else (high-resolution pictures, measurements, scope traces), just tell me what to do.

Again, thanks to all for considering helping me.

I just fixed my 82qn70ra about a week ago, maybe it's American model vs Europe since is basically the same. I had to change backlights, so here's what you need to do.

Get a LED tester, unplug everything from led driver board (except light ribbons) put led tester ground somewhere in the middle of the 70 pin ribbon and then the positive on the first 3/4 pins on top and bottom of that same ribbon. Measure voltage on each one and they should all light up. If one led voltage like runs too high or too low compared to others it's probably LEDs.

Just have to test one by one the led strips from the LED driver

Also try unplugging the PSU to main, not the PSU to led driver to test lights
    Last edited by EazyBone; 05-22-2024, 07:25 AM.

Comment

I don't have a Backlight LED tester... I'll try to get one. This model seems to be really common on AliExpress:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2dda7cafc7a4d06869e8ae1592f5cb83.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	3275918
      Does it seem OK to you?

In the meantime, I do have a bench power supply, but it will only get up to 30V. Maybe I can get the LED to light up even if it's not full brightness?

Comment

iIt's good. I have one too.

Comment

One quick question:
          I don't have 70 pin ribbon but 68 ones. I also have a cryptic table next each of them, here is a random one (next to CN9001 on the BN44-00991A board)

I believe I have to read the 82' column since this applies to the 82 inches TV model right?
          Also, what are those numbers with a minus suffix (-) representing? I imagine + mean the Vdry voltage? (84V)

Here is a picture and a table easier to read.

Name:	Artboard.png
Views:	127
Size:	7.16 MB
ID:	3275934
          68 14- 13-
          67 17- 14-
          66 18- 15-
          65 21- 16-
          64 22- 19-
          63 25- 20-
          62 26- 21-
          61 NC 22-
          ~
          NC NC
          ~
          + +
          ~
          NC NC
          8 NC 10-
          7 13- 9-
          6 10- 8-
          5 9- 7-
          4 6- 4-
          3 5- 3-
          2 2- 2-
          1 1- 1-
          75' 82'

Comment

wrong way to start diagnose. check the socket on PSU which it goes to MB if there are BL_ON signal >3V

Comment

I'm not sure what's first, but this is a good solid way for me. Yes the 68 pins, I threw random number out because I didn't remember. And yes that led tester is great, I use it. Never let me down yet.

And yes the 9-60 can be one side of the probe and then measure each pin individually with the led tester the first 8 and the last 8 should all light up a row of LEDs.

I'd definitely start at what diah said since you don't have the tester and can do it before you get a tester.

Also not sure about the power supply, the led tester will tell you if for example (I think mine all tested at 88v per line or something ) each line is using 88volts or if one is using 82 volts or 98volts. So you want each line to read the same voltage.

I knew to check here though because I had a darkness in the front screen and the TV still worked though. This is why I started here. I also had a bad 75 which used the same board and the led driver is what failed, but you have two so figured look at lights/PSU first

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
                wrong way to start diagnose. check the socket on PSU which it goes to MB if there are BL_ON signal >3V

I don't have BL_ON (or perhaps I missed it). The closest thing I have is BLU_ON/OFF, which I measured at 5V when the TV is powered on, as mentioned in my initial post. Additionally, I measured the LED[+] test point on the driver board, and it read 84V.

Name:	Artboard 2.png
Views:	112
Size:	7.57 MB
ID:	3276029

This suggests a faulty LED strip. However, it's odd that I would expect at least some of the strips to work instead of all the LEDs being out.

30V does nothing, unfortunately. I'll wait for the tester to arrive.

Does anyone know what all the values on the table mentioned above are supposed to be? Are those voltage drops? I'm really puzzled...

Comment

post photo of the print chart on the PSU socket... not the LED driver boards..

Comment

post photo of the print chart on the PSU socket... not the LED driver boards..
                    I hope the picture is OK

Click image for larger version  Name:	Full view.png Views:	0 Size:	8.30 MB ID:	3276035

Also, here is a picture of the LED driver board. It might be useful.

Click image for larger version  Name:	led driver.png Views:	25 Size:	7.56 MB ID:	3276036

Comment

wait for yours tester arriving

Comment

Tester just arrived today, and the LEDs seems to be fine. I'm clueless now…

Comment

You tested all ribbons and all lights read what voltage?

You tested all 16 test lines on all 4 connectors right?

Comment

Originally posted by EazyBone View Post
                            You tested all ribbons and all lights read what voltage?

You tested all 16 test lines on all 4 connectors right?
                            Yes, I set up the tester to 84V and 1mA, put the positive lead in the center of the ribbon, and I got 76.8V on the 8 outermost connectors of the ribbons.

I also tested the voltage on the ribbon when the TV is turned on and found no voltage present. Even if the LED[+] test point show 84V.

BLU_ON/OFF measures approximately 3.2V.

Comment

1- post photo please on the whole back of tv.
                              2- did you hear sound?
                              3- did you see image on screen with torch light ?
                              4 please listed all voltage on the socket of PSU which it go to MB by name specially FB pin

Comment

Originally posted by sansanpartida View Post

Yes, I set up the tester to 84V and 1mA, put the positive lead in the center of the ribbon, and I got 76.8V on the 8 outermost connectors of the ribbons.

I also tested the voltage on the ribbon when the TV is turned on and found no voltage present. Even if the LED[+] test point show 84V.

BLU_ON/OFF measures approximately 3.2V.
                                Set the tester to max voltage/amps. It has a safety on it. Set it to 330v or max.

I have a thread here that diagnosed a 75 like this model in America version, but as you can see the led driver is for 75/82 version. The led driver was bad in that TV but it gives good reference to a specific chip you can check that is supposed to have 3 volts. Maybe it's a lead to two bad led driver boards you have.

Look at post 56 picture that shows 3v on the multimeter and test those 5 points voltages with everything plugged in as normal and the TV on. Look at the picture and there is 5 copper pads 1-5 what are those voltages?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...samsungs/page3

This may be the wrong direction but it'd take 30 seconds to check if it's potentially a same fault. There should be 3v, I originally had 1.4v before I got one that wasn't broken.

Interesting problem, I'd follow diahs instructions, and post answers here.

Comment

1- post photo please on the whole back of tv.

Name:	IMG_8539.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	3277479
                                  2- did you hear sound?
                                  I can hear sound ✅
                                  3- did you see image on screen with torch light ?
                                  I can see an image using a flashlight ✅
                                  4 please listed all voltage on the socket of PSU which it go to MB by name specially FB pin
                                  Here is a close-up of the connector to avoid ambiguity, since I don't have an FB pin between the PSU and the motherboard. The FB pin is between the PSU and the DRIVER board:

Name:	connectors.png
Views:	59
Size:	7.78 MB
ID:	3277480

Measurements of the 20-pin connector (on the left side of the PSU board)
                                  Pin Name Measured
                                  1 GND 0V
                                  2 GND 0V
                                  3 GND 0V
                                  4 GND 0V
                                  5 VAMP 18,09V
                                  6 GND 0V
                                  7 VAMP 18,09V
                                  8 N.C
                                  9 GND 0V
                                  10 N.C
                                  11 A13V 12,91V
                                  12 N.C
                                  13 A13V 12,91V
                                  14 N.C
                                  15 A13V 12,91V
                                  16 P_ON 3,318V
                                  17 A13V 12,91V
                                  18 GND 0V
                                  19 GND 0V
                                  20 GND 0V
                                  Measurement of the 18-pin connector (on the top of the PSU board)
                                  Pin Name Measured
                                  1 GND 0V
                                  2 GND 0V
                                  3 Vdrv 84,00V
                                  4 Vdrv 84,00V
                                  5 Vdrv 84,00V
                                  6 Vdrv 84,00V
                                  7 Vdrv 84,00V
                                  8 Vdrv 84,00V
                                  9 Vdrv 84,00V
                                  10 Vdrv 84,00V
                                  11 GND 0V
                                  12 GND 0V
                                  13 B13V 12,88V
                                  14 FAULT 0V
                                  15 FB 2,494V
                                  16 GND 0V
                                  17 GND 0V
                                  18 GND 0V

Comment

the socket between PSU and LED driver boards are rail supply
                                    we are interesting on the socket between LED driver boards and MB this is the key control of signal

Name:	led driver.png
Views:	70
Size:	496.0 KB
ID:	3277492

Comment

the socket between PSU and LED driver boards are rail supply
                                      we are interesting on the socket between LED driver boards and MB this is the key control of signal
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	led driver.png Views:	0 Size:	496.0 KB ID:	3277492
                                      Sorry about that. 'Socket of PSU' was too ambiguous for me 😓. I'll quickly do the measurements again.

Comment

Originally posted by EazyBone View Post

Set the tester to max voltage/amps. It has a safety on it. Set it to 330v or max.

I have a thread here that diagnosed a 75 like this model in America version, but as you can see the led driver is for 75/82 version. The led driver was bad in that TV but it gives good reference to a specific chip you can check that is supposed to have 3 volts. Maybe it's a lead to two bad led driver boards you have.

Look at post 56 picture that shows 3v on the multimeter and test those 5 points voltages with everything plugged in as normal and the TV on. Look at the picture and there is 5 copper pads 1-5 what are those voltages?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...samsungs/page3

This may be the wrong direction but it'd take 30 seconds to check if it's potentially a same fault. There should be 3v, I originally had 1.4v before I got one that wasn't broken.

Interesting problem, I'd follow diahs instructions, and post answers here.
                                        Ok I've quickly took the measurement..

Here is the picture again to make sure I took the measurement exactly where you told me to (I also took some test points that were just next to it for good measure):
                                        PIN1 1,367V
                                        PIN2 1,192V
                                        PIN3 1,127V
                                        PIN4 0V
                                        PIN5 0V
                                        And here are the test points
                                        TP1 1,252V
                                        TP2 1,417V
                                        TP3 1,481V
                                        TP4 1,531V

Name:	driver test points.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	3.35 MB
ID:	3277555
                                        Last edited by sansanpartida; 05-24-2024, 01:56 PM. Reason: reduced image sixze

Comment

Working...
                                        X