Samsung QN82Q60R - locks up / Crashing / Unresponsive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung QN82Q60R - locks up / Crashing / Unresponsive

Picked this one up a few days ago. QN82Q60R. Screen works perfectly and sound works but after booting, the unit randomly becomes unresponsive to input (though whatever is on the screen will continue to play).

Tried standard reset - no improvement.
    Tried service mode reset - No improvement

Service menu is difficult to navigate as the unit regularly crashes / locks up which means i have to restart the set.

Something i have also not seen before is that sometimes (not always) when i enter the service menu, i get an error "ERR by empty version Data. Please contact factory service team". Sometimes this error goes away after a few minutes, sometimes not. When the error comes up, i am unable to navigate the service menu at all.

My suspicion is some kind of software corruption on the main board or possibly bad memory / ram?

I do have a replacement main board (from a QN55Q60R) but that also turns out to be bad- Image is solarized and "pulses" so not sure that is any better. But it does not lock up so i have two different boards with two different issues.

Would appreciate any and all help.

Giant TV, ity bity main board.

You can't use the 55 main board for the 82, they aren't interchangeable like some Sony TVs. So probably should still suspect the main board needs replacing with the correct board. This would be my thoughts

Comment

I had one of these before and it was the mainboard that was bad. I came to the conclusion the processor was bad. It would get pretty hot even when the tv wasn't on.

as EazyBone mentioned the 55” board won't work. I tried as well since I had one from a broken screen. Even swapping out the eeproms did not work until I purchased a new mainboard specific for the 82”.

Comment

Thanks for the replies all.

strangely enough I did notice the cpu was getting hot when the tv was off.

i remember Samsungs used to be interchangeable between sizes and you just had to set the correct TV size in the service menu. But perhaps that no longer applies?

Comment

The motherboard also has positional (optional) resistors for different panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Storyteller12 View Post
            I had one of these before and it was the mainboard that was bad. I came to the conclusion the processor was bad. It would get pretty hot even when the tv wasn't on.

as EazyBone mentioned the 55” board won't work. I tried as well since I had one from a broken screen. Even swapping out the eeproms did not work until I purchased a new mainboard specific for the 82”.

When you tried the 55" MB, what symptoms did you get?

Comment

It's been a while since I had that tv. If I'm not mistaken the tv would turn on with backlights but no picture. Even after swapping the eeprom I had the same problem

Comment

Thanks all,
                So i actually have been able to get the 55" main board to work (sort of) i had to resolder a bunch of resistors / capacitors to match the original and now am able to turn the TV on and all functions seem to work well with the 55" main board and the unit no longer crashes. The only problem is that there is a purple tint to the screen.
                I have updated the panel model in the service menu but still no change.

I suspect this is something in the service menu that needs to change. Alternatively im wondering if i can transfer the BIOS chip from the original MB to the replacement? (I assume this is where all of the screen settings are stored?)

Comment

Originally posted by DemonBG View Post
                  Alternatively im wondering if i can transfer the BIOS chip from the original MB to the replacement? (I assume this is where all of the screen settings are stored?)
                  Yes, all panel settings are in the t-con area, in the spi flash 25Q80, transplant it from the original board.

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post

transplant it from the original board.
                    Lotas: you were meant to be a surgeon, not a repair tech. lol

In all honesty your awesome. Thanks for all your help on here.

Comment

Yes, all panel settings are in the t-con area, in the spi flash 25Q80, transplant it from the original board.
                      TV is back up and working! So long story short I had to extensively solder the 55” main board to match the same configuration as the 82” main board. Lots of resistor / diode banks that need to be reconfigured to match. Probably 20 components in all.
                      Once that was done, 1 of the 2 BIOS chip had to be transferred too which resolved the color issue. Strangely enough when I tried to transfer both of the bios chips I would get no power at all.

the only issue remaining is that the serial
                      number and screen info in the menu are still for the 55” model so I assume this info is stored somewhere else.

Comment

Well done. You have before and after pics?

Comment

Originally posted by DemonBG View Post

the only issue remaining is that the serial
                          number and screen info in the menu are still for the 55” model so I assume this info is stored somewhere else.
                          Information about the panel is in the eeprom 24C512 settings - you don't need to change it! To change it, just change the panel in service mode.

Comment

Information about the panel is in the eeprom 24C512 settings - you don't need to change it! To change it, just change the panel in service mode.
                            I tried that to begin with. Verified all the settings in the service menu were identical but still wouldn't work properly (purple tint). Maybe I missed a setting but I know 100% the panel was set correctly. Maybe there is additional panel settings deeper in the service menu but I couldn't find it.

I do have before & afters pics. I'll post later and highlight all the areas I had to modify.

Comment

Working...
                            X