Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR4 Problem

Hi all!
    First off I want to thank anyone in advance for any advice you may able to provide me. I have taken up the challenge of fixing an issue I am having with my Sony Bravia and have read numerous forum responses on similar issues for other users. The Model number is KDL-46XBR4 and was manufactured in 2007.
    I will start with the symptoms I am having:
    -TV starts up sometimes and everything seems perfectly fine. It does not shut off or do anything out of the ordinary. But other times when you try to turn the tv on the green light turns on but there is no screen, sounds, or back light. I also get the standby light that flashes 5 times. The more the TV has been turned on and warmed up the harder it becomes to start the tv up.
    -I have found two badly damaged SMD capacitors on the Main Board (AU board part# A-1362-637-A) I will attach these images including the location of these capacitors on the board.
    I really have two questions:
    - I know I have read many and many forums about the T-Con board being the cause of this 5 blink signal by the diagnostic system, but can a damaged main board cause any malfunction that would fail to send a proper signal to the UB-1 & T-Con board? I will obviously have to fix this issue on the main board, but want to make sure I am not trial and error fixing on this thing.

- Also, based on the pictures I have provide can this board be repaired? The capacitors have leaks all over the area and my plan was to remove these capacitors and clean up the area with a cotton swab and iso-alcohol. After this is completed I was going to replace to two SMD capacitors (47uf 16v & 10uf 16v) with the same rated capacitor, but with leads on it and just bend the feet to fit on the surface mounted circuit board. I was hoping to try this method instead of purchasing a used board off ebay (which is only about $25) so I can learn how to repair such items and to save as much money as possible.

I have read about the issues of trying to replace a T-Con on this unit and am trying to make sure that I am being realistic with my expectations of this TV. I greatly appreciate any assistance any of you very helpful individuals on this site and I look forward to any knowledge you may be able to provide me!
    Tony
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bigtony5858; 01-07-2014, 09:03 AM.

Re: Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR4 Problem

Here is the Service manual for the unit as well :-)
    Attached Files

Comment

That looks more like water damage than capacior leakage. Using a small brush (old toothbrush) and maybe some alcohol, clean that white corrosion off and see if that fixes it,
      Last edited by R_J; 01-07-2014, 11:46 AM.

Comment

R_J,

Thank you so much for your reply! After inspecting the picture a little more (since im at work ) it kind of looks like there is a small amount of corrosion on the screw near the bottom of the picture, which would make me believe it had gotten wet somehow. It would be very strange that only that section of this board could get water on it , but it appears as though that it is a total possibility. Do you think the board is irreversibly damaged if it is water damage? Also, does exterior corrosion have an effect on the solder/capacitors themselves?

Thanks for anyone that can help!

Comment

All you can do is check out the rest of the set for water damage when you get back to it.
          Clean up the parts already mentioned as RJ says then let us have another look. Collateral damage will depend on whether the components have failed shorted or are just no longer connected themselves, or have failed open.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Wonderful! I will get that cleaned up and get a picture on here in about 3 hours when I get home. Does anyone know if a main board failure could cause these mentioned symptoms? Thank you all for sharing your knowledge

Comment

i would also remove all the mounting screws and clean back to good metal as well as maybe making poor earth points.

Comment

vinceroger69,

Great point! I will do this also and post pictures.

Comment

Ok. So I cleaned off the area and took some pictures. Please see attached :-)
                  Attached Files

Comment

I put everything back together and at first it turned on the first two times (albiet a little slower than last), but then it did the same thing. I asked a local tv person and this was his response:

"Hello,
                    To answer your first question, yes it is possible that the damage to the AU board could affect the reliability of the diagnostic information and or interfere with normal operation. Furthermore, a 5 blink error code can be caused by several components, not just a faulty T-Con.
                    It is difficult to say for certain, but it does look like water damage around those two capacitors. We would first need a closer look at the damaged AU board to determine if it is repairable.
                    Our diagnostic fee for that set (carry in) is just $25. "

I am leaning towards just buying a replace AU board since this appears to have the obvious issues in the area with water damage. Is there anyone that can provide any other input to better diagnose the issue?? Thanks again everyone for your time!

Comment

It looks like the VIAs are damaged by the corrosion also, lots of blackened traces also.
                      Never stop learning
                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                        It looks like the VIAs are damaged by the corrosion also, lots of blackened traces also.
                        Yea that's what has worried me about the board after I cleaned it. Do you have any knowledge if a damaged main board can have an effect that would cause the above symptoms? Just trying to make sure I am not fixing one issue that may not be causing the rest :-)

Thank you for your help!

Comment

It should be possible to mend vias soldering wires through - time consuming job.
                          I dont think there is any way to say that replacing this board will correct the problem.
                          You say it gets worse when the set is warmer so that could be a bad solder joint on any board or a component on any board that is shutting down when it gets warm.
                          Perhaps the way to go would be to get a replacement board - sometimes sellers will agree to a return if it doesn't work so you only loose out the postage.
                          Alternative is assume this board is good enough and try and troubleshoot the rest.
                          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

HELP!

I think I may have found something on the power supply, but I cannot tell what it is/ if it supposed to look like this????? It was on the bottom and labeled C6305. I am assuming this means this is a capacitor, but I cannot tell if it is supposed to look like this with all this red die around it?????

Thank you again everyone!

Tony
                            Attached Files

Comment

too be honest the price of a board on shop jimmy is cheap enough imo if its the same boars as yours ie part numbers plugs sockets etc.
                              https://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-a-136...gnal-board.htm

Comment

This is the information on that small piece, but I just can't tell if it blown or not?

C6305 1-162-964-11 CERAMIC CHIP 0.001μF 10% 50V

Also I actually just ordered that exact board from shop jimmy :-) it was to cheap to pass up.

Comment

a very good price imo did it all match up with your board ok? and yes that capacitor does look weird like red dye on it never saw that before although the corrosion on the other side by the caps you cleaned maybe the board has come into contact with fluid at some time in its life.was this your own tv or one you brought to repair.
                                  Last edited by vinceroger69; 01-08-2014, 06:09 PM.

Comment

A post from another forum that I thought might help figure out what that is???

Originally posted by KrisBlueNZ View Post
                                    Originally Posted by View Post
                                    It looks fine to me. I don't know what the purple colouring is, but I doubt it's a problem. The component looks undamaged and properly soldered.

Are you sure that marking relates to the component beside it? It looks like a glass component. Maybe that's just the photograph. If it's made of glass, it won't be a capacitor; more likely a diode. But in either case it looks fine to me.

I think you may be wasting your time looking over the board trying to find something that doesn't look right. I'm not even sure that those electrolytics are faulty. It could just be a splash of water on the board.

While you're working on it, make notes of any changes you made, any measurements you take, and all tests and their results. It's easy to forget details, and to lose track of which order you did things in.
                                    If you look in that picture there is an identical component list as C6307 and you can see a small red dot below it. The reason I thought it could be damaged is because i researched how these ceramic chip capacitors fail and it is through cracks and the only real way to tell is through a tiny microscope or dye penetrate testing. what do you think?

I also agree with you that the corrosion in that area the more I look at it the more I am leaning towards it being water corrosion, but ordered a new board for $25 bucks just in case it damaged and of the vias or diodes in that small area.

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                                    a very good price imo did it all match up with your board ok? and yes that capacitor does look weird like red dye on it never saw that before although the corrosion on the other side by the caps you cleaned maybe the board has come into contact with fluid at some time in its life.was this your own tv or one you brought to repair.
                                    I am unsure just yet since I ordered the board a couple hours ago :-) This is a TV that I bought to repair and it would appear that this area could have been splashed though the rear vents possibly, but it has obviously been cleaned up very well on the exterior and only a minimal amount of fluid appeared to have hit the interior components.
                                    Last edited by bigtony5858; 01-08-2014, 06:15 PM.

Comment

looking at the shop jimmy picture and comparing it to your board is what i meant hahaha but does look like liquid damage at least with shop jimmy they have a good returns policy etc.

Comment

The MLCC (Multi Layer Ceramic Cap) when it failed, it failed as short circuit. I doubt that it is bad. I worry more about the corrosion on those Vias which for electrical path between the copper layers of the board.
                                        Never stop learning
                                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                                        X