Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17PW15-8 blows fuses after lightning

Hello,
    I picked this PSU 17PW15-8 from a friend's TV with a burnt fuse, after some days of rain and lightning strikes. The TV was on standby when it happened.
    With new fuses it burns them as well. I checked bridge rectifier, all the TO220 components, diodes and basic caps, replaced IC806 SMPS, and FETS driving the big transformer. I also isolated the secondary circuit by cutting the rails of the FETs to the primary coils. I don't know even know if that makes sense, but I did in hopes to isolate the problem.
    Any ideas what to look for?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sraros; 12-04-2023, 01:41 AM.

You can try removing the bridge rectifier to see if the problem is before or after it. If it blows a fuse with it out, then you know the problem is before bridge rectifier.
    If it turns out to be before the bridge rectifier, I suggest checking R801 and the class X and Y caps in the filter section.
    Do you have the schematic?
    Last edited by SdlewisSr; 12-04-2023, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Hi, The IC806 IC is driving the standby supply, you should also check IC807 driving the other supplies MOSFET Q313 and Q314 that may be shorting

Comment

Schematic is at

Comment

I have never found IC806 to be a failure and don't know why you replaced that? Anyway look at the circled components and check they haven't shorted as these mosfets can fail on this psu.
          Attached Files

Comment

Sorry guys, I rushed a little bit too fast. It was the bridge rectifier afterall... I missed checking between + and 2nd leg. So problem solved.
            Still thanks for the answers

Comment

Working...
            X