Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Baird x37DTV - No Power

Originally posted by DJ4D View Post
    When I set the DMM to that setting it displays a 1 on the screen. When I probe the fuse the screen on the DMM stays at 1.
    Lesson 2 :

1 means Infinity... Look at a DMM the same way as decimals... 1 being a whole and anything under it as points of a whole.

So... for example if testing a resistor - Lets say infinity is 1000ohms which will show as 1 - you test the resistor and it shows 474ohm on the DMM screen, the resistor is only letting 526ohms of that 1000ohms back through to the DMM... The DMM figures it has sent 1000 and lost 526 in circuit so 1000 - 526 = 474. If you were to test and it showed 0 it would be letting 1000ohms through as it isn't restricting anything which is a short circuit S/C. If it were to read 1 then its letting 0 of those ohms through and therefore open circuit O/C.

Hope that makes sense.

Also Open and closed (short)... Imagine it is a gate in a garden... when closed power can run through the hinge and across the gate and through the latch on the other side. When open the power hits the latch but has no where to go.
    Last edited by newtothis; 11-23-2013, 11:45 AM.

Comment

my tip is to look whats in the repair kit and check each item they list in case faulty heres yours
      http://www.ohmsupplies.co.uk/KiT14-R...ER-XT37-AD301M

Comment

I would teach you how to test them but do not have the time at the moment I am afraid, will pop back later

Comment

Originally posted by newtothis View Post
          I would teach you how to test them but do not have the time at the moment I am afraid, will pop back later
          i would as well but i am still a novice at this electronics game i find good guides on testing devices via google and you tube videos. if i then are still unsure i ask a question on here on how to test the part some one will always help us out its a great site in my opinion.

Comment

Many thanks to both of you for your help and advice, it's been really interesting so far

I'll take a look at that kit and then see if I can identify where those components are on the board. I may need to come back to you to ask how to test them but there really is no rush. Chances are I won't have an opportunity to look at it again for a couple of days as my Mrs will have other plans for what I do with my spare time this weekend

Comment

No problem.

As the fuse had blown and Tom had stated its a common failure you will probably find that his previous post on which ones to test are bang on.... Tom66 is a true Badcaps Veteran and certainly knows his stuff!

Comment

Working...
              X