Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panasonic TH-42PZ8BA: candidate for worst bodge attempt ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic TH-42PZ8BA: candidate for worst bodge attempt ever?

10 blinks fault. MC201 has had a little, uh, "repair work" done on it. Previous owner claims that it was taken to a TV repair shop, but that it could not be fixed by them and it needed a new power board (allegedly priced at £1,200... original TV RRP was only £600...)

I'm not even sure what to say. I just don't... I don't understand how anyone ever thought this could possibly work?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tom66; 11-17-2013, 01:50 PM.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Re: Panasonic TH-42PZ8BA: candidate for worst bodge attempt ever?

Such a bad job at removing, resoldering or both should be considered criminal
    its things like this that give us a bad reputation. So called tech should be able to prove that he or she can remove/replace psrts. They can use old board to show the employer. If they wer reputable then this should not have happened.

Comment

LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Wow
        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Ummm... did someone urinate on that board after digging it out of a snowbank then let warm to room temperature ?

Comment

I think soldering irons should be licensed

That is a bad example Tom I have seen similar usually with no print left.

Andy

Comment

Saga continues. Amazingly, the 10 blinks error has now been fixed. Pictures will follow. However, set now presents with 2 blinks error. I suspect this was the original fault (before the idiot got hold of it) and this is caused by the D board failing. I do have a TH-42PZ80B I can borrow the D board from. Time for some more checks.

2 blinks does have the same "YouTube diagnosis" as 10 blinks...
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

gah! yuck!
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Almost looks like he used acid core solder!

Comment

D board swap didn't do anything. Going to try swapping the power boards over.

Comment

Swapped the P board in and it worked. So I still have a P board fault. Will have to try and see if it is a TEA1611T chip problem instead of normal cap issue.

Comment

as freakaftr8 said, wow

Comment

So, it turns out he did some more damage. Two FETs, 16N55G's blown. Plus a fuse. These are for the VSUS, which is not coming up.
                          Panasonic indicates these as non replaceable parts, but that isn't going to stop us trying...

Comment

Non-replaceable, eh... I beg to differ.
                            (Originals were glued to heat plate...)
                            Attached Files

Comment

Good stuff Tom, As an electronics technician by trade I have international certs on soldering standards. This joker and probably the company have obviously skipped corners on getting their standards up to spec. No company should be allowing electrical repairs without first passing them. Individuals doing repairs that's up to them.

Comment

Wow.....just wow. Im a poor solderer but even I could have done a better job.
                                Tom, your knowledge and skills impress me.

Comment

Non-replaceable by techs with soldering skills shown above.

Comment

And I thought my soldering looked bad...
                                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

The saga of this now very complicated repair continues.

Trying to solder the FETs to the board is, well, umm... best described as "fun". Because they are to be soldered while upside-down...

I did it by soldering the relatively exposed drain leg first, then doing the rest from the top.

Unfortunately the metal plate that the FETs rest on would not be seated properly (supposed to be attached to the back metal plate of the PSU, which is the heatsink), it's at the wrong height (I'm guessing Panasonic had a jig at the factory for this.) So I added (glued) some thermal pads to the board to help with that. This also serves as my signature.

Now to replace the TEA1611T chip, which I'm not sure is OK or not given the blown FETs. I am replacing it as a precaution.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by tom66; 11-29-2013, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Speechless. That "repair shop" should be ashamed to call themselves techs.

Comment

Working...
                                        X