X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bush PDP42TV006 Problem No Picture

So here is the background

Hi Tom

Seems like a brilliant forum. Concise and (relatively) easy information to follow.

A quick question if I may as I appreciate I might (hopefully) need to start a new thread for this. I have a 42" Bush TV. I don't know the model no. I'm afraid as it's mounted on the wall at the moment and I've yet to dismount it.

This TV is approx. 10 years old and served me very well in that time. When watching the other night it appeared to suddenly go into standby mode. The screen went black and the LED power light flashed red then green 7 times. Then nothing, then the repeating flashing. I tried powering down and waiting 5 mins and then powering on but now when I turn it on it seems about to start normally but after 1-2 seconds with the green led lit, just as I expect the picture to appear, I hear a click and I get the 7 flashing red/ green LEDs. Then nothing for short while, then the 7 flashing LEDs again. No picture throughout this process.

My question is does this sound like a fixable problem? As I said this TV is about 10 years old so I'm not expecting miracles but a new TV just before Christmas isn't really something I'd like to consider.

Many thanks

Fritz

I've now taken the back off and can see I have at least 1 capacitor that looks blown, could be 5 but the remaining 4 are so big I'm not sure what they are, they look like capacitors but bigger than anything I
    I've seen before.

Attached are the pics (these are all on the board that's connected directly to the mains connection in).

Can someone confirm whether these are all capacitors; if they are blown; and if I replace them I have a reasonable chance of the set working?

Many thanks

Fritz
    Attached Files

Re: Bush PDP42TV006 Problem No Picture

The first 4 are OK if and only if you can press down the plastic disc completely flat.
    The 5th is definitely bad.
    Do you have a digital multimeter to make some tests?

I think this TV is newer than you think. If it uses an LG Electronics PDP42V7#### panel it is a 2005~2007 production year TV.

Working model sold for £56.00:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUSH-PDP42...p2047675.l2557
    Last edited by tom66; 11-13-2013, 02:51 PM.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Ok three of the first 4 press down fine. The fourth made a cracking sound that was the plastic disk cracking at one edge. I've attached a photo below. Is this now U/S?

Yes I have a multi meter somewhere, just need to dig it out.

You're right about the date. The back of the PDP Module has a manufacturing date on it of 22/8/2005.

Do you think this might be a fixable problem?

Many thanks

Fritz
      Attached Files
      Last edited by FritzCT; 11-13-2013, 03:20 PM. Reason: upload photo

Comment

You would need to remove that plastic disc to confirm, it is done carefully using a flat head screwdriver.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Any chance I could still get a shock off it? It's been powered down for about 6 hours.

Fritz

Comment

Not from the top, and after 6 hours you should be fine.

Comment

Ok I popped the top off and it looks good, no bulging. I hope I don't have to get the cap back on though as I don't think that would be as simple.

fritz

Comment

The cap may stay off.
                Can you dig that multimeter out and get a picture of it so we can see if it's suitable.

Comment

I can but not until tomorrow as it's at work somewhere. It's pretty basic, much like the attached image. could even be the same one.

Fritz
                  Attached Files

Comment

If it's like that, then that will be suitable.

Comment

Cool, I'll garb it tomorrow thenif that's ok?

Comment

Yep, don't forget the probes.

Comment

Hi Tom

I found the multimeter (pic attached).

I assume you are going to need me to test certain areas? Am I going to need to remove any boards to do this? Just thinking I can get them out ahead of time if necessary.

many thanks

Cliff
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks good.
                            Set meter to volt DC. (Turn selector switch to VOLT / V and confirm either DC/vDC or solid line and dashed line appear on screen.)
                            Take a fresh AA battery, and measure across it. Do you see approx 1.5V DC?

If that tests OK, then the meter is usable.
                            Take a picture of the whole power supply. I will highlight areas to test.

Comment

Ok multi meter's good. Brand new Duracell came back at 1.505 V.

Picture of power supply unit attached (well the board that the power switch wire connects directly to).

Many thanks

Fritz
                              Attached Files

Comment

Along the top left of the power board there is a connector with pins marked Vs, Va, etc. Can you see these labels?
                                Does this TV use a Samsung or LG plasma display module?

Comment

Hi Tom

I can see a few areas marked with Vs or similar but theonly connectors I can see are two. One is marked Va and also seems to be marked Buffer the other is a slightly larger connector and marked VS. I've attached photos of what I can see.

The panel is made by Samsung model no. S42SD-YD05.

Fritz
                                  Attached Files

Comment

OK, what do you see (measure) on the pin marked VS?
                                    To measure:
                                    - red probe on VS pin
                                    - black probe on the metal chassis... back frame of plasma screen works well
                                    - multimeter on volt DC
                                    - set turned on

You should get around 170 to 200V. The exact rating will be printed on the plasma display panel.

Comment

Sorry Tom

Can you refer me to a one of the photos as I'm not sure what pin you mean and I don't really want to be poking about with a probe with the set powered up.

Many thanks

Fritz

Comment

This one
                                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1384465969

left: there will be a little exposed metal around where the wire meets the pin.

Comment

Working...
                                        X