Sony KDL46z4100 red hazy picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony KDL46z4100 red hazy picture

Hi all! It seems from other posts that this is quite the popular problem to have right now! It also seems that TCONs are basically impossible to find without paying ~$200!

I did find an advertisement on ebay for a guy that does circuitboard (specifically said he does TCONs) repair for ~$50. Does anyone have any experience with repaired boards? In light of the fact that we can't find a simple modular replacement, would this be a decent way to go?

Thanks!

Comment

If he is repairing the t-cons, he's probably replacing this IC. You can test it, if you have a digital multimeter.
      Attached Files
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Ah, ok. I will borrow one from my neighbor. What sort of signals am I looking for?

OK and one more problem... sorry I am being overly needy today!! When messing with the tcon, I managed to tweak the little 1" x 1.5" ribbon cable that attaches the TCON to the screen. Probably need to get a new one, but can't find a part number. Anyone have any idea what this part number is, and / or a good online shop that might have a replacement?

Thanks!!

Comment

Take a close picture of that area and I or someone else will highlight the area.

OK and one more problem... sorry I am being overly needy today!! When messing with the tcon, I managed to tweak the little 1" x 1.5" ribbon cable that attaches the TCON to the screen. Probably need to get a new one, but can't find a part number. Anyone have any idea what this part number is, and / or a good online shop that might have a replacement?
          You will need to ask someone who has broken apart this TV to see if they kept those cables, they are rarely stocked.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

It seems that my trend of not making my life any easier continues! OK, I'll continue to search around for those cables...

Attached are the close ups of the IC circuit from front (and back if needed)!
            Attached Files

Comment

Above that chip, do you see the points marked VGMA1 VGMA2...VGMA12?

Comment

Got it... think those are the solid points opposite the "hollow" points opposite CG16-CG27, with the "grey" square circuits in between?

Comment

Yeah... those gold points are called test points. The voltage on there, with the board installed and the TV powered up, can be tested. Red probe on each, black probe on the chassis of the set. From VGMA1 to VGMA12 the voltage should either increase or decrease monotonically. i.e. there should be no dips or spikes in between. Also it should range from around 0V to around 15V.

Comment

OK sounds good. As I have it pulled off right now, any way to test without reinstalling; or it needs power going through it to work?

Thanks!

Comment

It needs power unfortunately.

Comment

OK, I'll hook it back up and see what I can find! Thanks!!

Comment

Are there similar test points on this board?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Possibly, any chance you can take a higher resolution photo, or perhaps four smaller ones of each corner?

Comment

Here you go; the front of the T-Con board. I didn't take the thermal pads off because they seem quite fragile. But if I need to, let me know and I will. If you need to see the back of the board, let me know.

Thanks!

Chuck
                              Attached Files

Comment

Got a package from China...... was really worried what is inside.
                                The board was just like mine ! Started to put it back in, with shaking hands...
                                Eventually got it all back together, no screws left over.
                                Slowly powered it up, and........
                                It works !!!!!!!
                                The T-Con board was bad !

So guys , a BIG thank you to all !
                                You gave me the idea, what to do, and pointed me to the right direction.
                                Alone, I would have NEVER had the courage to open the cover. Let alone take a board out from inside of the unit !

I am a happy man now ! Less than 100$ , and our old Sony is back in operation ! I think I paid less than a shop charges for giving an estimate !

Keep up the good work !

Comment

Great news, I hope you put all the thermal pads back in place.
                                  Never stop learning
                                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Congrats! Wish I could find a reasonably priced T-Con for my set that might get it going again. Where did you order from? Perhaps I can see if they have one for my TV.

Thanks,

Chuck

Comment

I ordered it fom the company, whose site was linked here. Somewhere earlier in thi thread, or was it another thread? Anyway, on that message, the picture of the problem was identical as my problem picture was, as was the T-Con board. I couldn't find that board anywhere else.

http://www.wisiny.com/

I was a bit worried, when I saw where my payment went...

But everything turned out OK!

Thanks to them as well !

I hope it works now for another 5 years, being from 2008. A surprisingly short lifespan for a Sony TV, I have to say.
                                      My previous Bravia lasted 21 years, and was still working, when it was replaced by a flat one.
                                      Last edited by eki912; 08-27-2013, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Oh, and it came all pads etc fitted, just like in my original one.

The biggest issue was getting those flat ribbons back in their holders, the 2 on top of board.
                                        Taking the long metal piece with holes in it out helped a lot.

Comment

Still happy !

Watched it last night, and all works OK.
                                          Sadly TWC no longer shows anything without a box, which I have never had. And will not get.
                                          Was feeling miserable for a while.... but after a short think, installed a 6 feet long wire to antenna plug, atteched it to venetian blind
                                          and chose "antenna input" from menu and pressed "autotune" and....
                                          after about 10 mins more than 50 channels ! Over the air ones. Local news etc and some in HD !
                                          Enough for me, as I use Netflix and other internet sources anyway.

Should I throw the broken T-Con away? Or is there a place who might wan't to fix it ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X