X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Bravia KDL-40V3000 LCD TV vertical bar problem

Hello,

Sorry the following is so long.

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40V3000 LCD TV that is not working properly when first powered up or when running for an hour or more. I am hoping someone will be able to advise what the problem might be and what PCB to change out. I am also hoping hard that the problem is not with the LCD panel itself.

As you can see from the pictures, (link is here: http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/Sc...roblems?page=1 ) there is a vertical band or bar effect going on that is a little less than 3.5” wide. This seems to indicate that one of the 10 (there should be 10 along the top as the display is about 34 7/8” wide) driver sections is not operating properly.

I applied signal through S-video input 1 and component video input 1 and both inputs had the same problem. I did not check the other inputs with signal, but I did cycle through the remaining inputs (with no video signal), and the vertical band was obvious on all inputs. Audio is fine on the inputs I applied video to. Audio was not checked on the other inputs.

The picture quality within this vertical band seems fine, but seems to be out of time or sync with the rest of the picture and thus produces two images. Not a ghost image as it is generally known, but two distinct, sharp, and clear images to describe it as best as I can. There is also a fine horizontal line at the extreme top right of the display that goes from the right edge of this vertical band to the outer edge of the display, but this is not nearly as annoying as the vertical band, and if I have to live with this, I will.

I changed out the T-Con board, but there was no difference to the problem and the band location remained at the same position on the display. I also removed the LCD panel peripheral metal bezel to check for TAB (Tape Automated Binding) failures by gently pushing on the TAB associated with this cell (if “cell” is the correct word) while the set was running, but that made no difference to the display. I also gently pushed on the remaining TABs, and that made no difference either.

The two ribbon cables from the T-Con board output were inspected and were found to be seated properly with no signs of overheating or other issues. The T-Con's LVDS input cable was also inspected and found to be seated correctly. I tap-tested all the boards and cables to check for bad solder joints and sub-standard cable connections, but that made no difference as well. Finally, I performed a power reset by turning on the set, holding down the remote's up arrow button, and then momentarily pressing the power button on the TV. That did not help either.

It seems to me that because the picture within this approximately 3.5” wide vertical band region is fine, that there should not be a problem with the LCD panel itself, but some sort of timing issue with the drive to this cell. Maybe bad capacitors in the driver???

Please inform me if my post here would be better served on another thread instead of this one.

Thank you and I hope to get this resolved as painlessly as possible....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Professor Bizzt; 03-20-2013, 08:55 PM.

Re: Sony Bravia KDL-40V3000 LCD TV vertical bar problem

What about the OSD menu, how does that look when you open it?

Comment

My suggestion would be a main board issue. It's failing to address the image properly. It's almost certainly not an LCD panel or t-con issue. If it's intermittent, you may be dealing with a bad solder joint on one of the processors -- it may be possible to reflow it but it's suggested that the entire board be replaced.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by Glitcher View Post
        What about the OSD menu, how does that look when you open it?
        Thank you for your response. Here is what the OSD menu looks like:
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
          My suggestion would be a main board issue. It's failing to address the image properly. It's almost certainly not an LCD panel or t-con issue. If it's intermittent, you may be dealing with a bad solder joint on one of the processors -- it may be possible to reflow it but it's suggested that the entire board be replaced.
          Thank you for your response. The problem is constant and not intermittent. I'll probably just try to find a used main board. By "main board", I assume you mean the main logic board that drives the T-Con board. Am I correct?

Thank you...

Comment

Are there any menu functions that cross the glitch boundary, e.g. the volume control or channel information?
            The main board is the one which has the video inputs on it, and it connects to the T-con board.

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40V3000 LCD TV that is not working properly when first powered up or when running for an hour or more. I am hoping someone will be able to advise what the problem might be and what PCB to change out. I am also hoping hard that the problem is not with the LCD panel itself.
            Does it appear after some time, or go away after some time? I would still class that as intermittent, even if it only happens once.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Are there any menu functions that cross the glitch boundary, e.g. the volume control or channel information?
              The main board is the one which has the video inputs on it, and it connects to the T-con board.

Does it appear after some time, or go away after some time? I would still class that as intermittent, even if it only happens once.
              Thank you Tom66. I found a few menu function displays that cross the glitch boundary and have attached photos of them. The problem manifests as soon as the set is turned on and never goes away. It always behaves this way and no amount of On/Off cycles or On time makes any difference; it is always there. Twisting the set slightly or tapping on it also makes no difference. The IEC power plug was also wiggled, and there was no difference. I tried filtering the AC power at the receptacle and there was no difference.

If I can remove the RFI shield from the main logic board, I might consider applying a responsible amount of heat via a distant small heat gun to the caps on the board to see if I can pinpoint possible bad caps and then diagnose down further with an ESR meter on the suspected bad caps. What do you think of that approach?

Thanks....
              Attached Files

Comment

OK, then it looks like main or T-con, but I would be suspecting main over T-con for a number of reasons. The main one being that the main board is the only board that might split the picture in such a way for processing reasons.

I would doubt bad capacitors personally, as with AC line noise (your line filter/shielded cable is going to do nothing for the 100's of km cable outside!); instead, I'd be thinking of a processor problem -- possibly a bad joint.

Comment

A small update and a few more questions please.

I removed the metal shield on what I assume is called the "FB3" board. This is the board immediately prior to the T-Con board and has the LVDS cable connected to it. It also has the two HDMI and one RGB PC jacks, but no other video connections. I have included a picture in this post.

I removed all the cable connections from the FB3 board and reseated them with no improvement to the condition originally described. I tap-tested this board for bad connections and solder joints. No improvement.

There is a small surface mount LED on the FB3 board that regularly blinks amber (or orange maybe). I guess this LED is known as a "heartbeat indicator" and indicates normal operation of the FB3 board. I have circled and pointed to it in one of the pictures in this post.

The questions:
                  Is this board known as the FB3 board and is this board the one recommended to be replaced?

How should a properly functioning LCD TV's FB3 board heartbeat indicator blink?

There is an analog input board connected to the FB3 board. Is the board you recommend replacing instead of the FB3 board, or should both of these boards be replaced, or just the FB3 board?

I hope to not bother you guys with questions past this point and thank you very much for your answers so far.
                  Attached Files

Comment

It looks like Sony have split the analog (simple) processing and digital processing into two boards; may have been a cost decision or perhaps easily allowing them to make a European version with SCART.

My guess would be any problem is on there.

I would also guess that the board doesn't "know" it is faulty. Error detection logic may not pick up strange faults like this. So the heartbeat may not indicate anything. As a side note, the heartbeat on the products I work on at the company I work at during the summer do two short flashes then a pause once a second, i.e. like a real heartbeat but I doubt Sony would put an obscure easter egg like that into their products.

Comment

It looks like Sony have split the analog (simple) processing and digital processing into two boards; may have been a cost decision or perhaps easily allowing them to make a European version with SCART.

My guess would be any problem is on there.

I would also guess that the board doesn't "know" it is faulty. Error detection logic may not pick up strange faults like this. So the heartbeat may not indicate anything. As a side note, the heartbeat on the products I work on at the company I work at during the summer do two short flashes then a pause once a second, i.e. like a real heartbeat but I doubt Sony would put an obscure easter egg like that into their products.
                      Hello Tom66,

I should have included the heartbeat flash rate in my last post. Measured with a stopwatch, it is On for 1 second and Off for one second, then repeats.

Just for my own education, why do they call it an FB3 board?

I'll post the results when I get another FB3 board. Till then I'll hopefully stay quiet.

Thanks...

Comment

I just went and checked to see the flash pattern on a Sony KDL-40V3000 I just repaired and it is one second on and one second off.
                        There is also a UB2 board that connects to the bottom of the T-Con. The signal from the main board goes to this before it gets to the T-Con.

Might be something else to check.

Comment

Yes if there is a UB2 on your TV that may be a frame interpolator or similar can could cause this problem too.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm sorry, but I don't know LCD TV terminology very well yet. What is this UB2 board you are referring to as I don't think I have one on this set.

My T-Con board is pictured here. The FPC left and right output connectors are at the top and the LVDS input cable connection is at the bottom. The LVDS cable goes straight from the T-Con board to the FB3 board without any intervening circuitry, and I don't see any chips marked UB2 anywhere on the T-Con board.

Thanks....
                            Attached Files

Comment

In which case that does not apply to your TV. Would only apply to TV with 100Hz etc.

Comment

Yep as Tom66 stated, It doesn't have a UB2 board. Sorry about that. Looking at your picture it appeared to have the same metal cover as a 46" I had where the UB2 was. But that is just the T-Con cover.

Comment

OK guys,

I just replaced the FB3 board with a used one from ebay and there is no difference to the problem.

The LVDS cable must be the problem, don't you think? That cable has a whole lot of conductors shoehorned into very small connectors. Seems to me that could be something that gives trouble once in awhile.

Wouldn't that exhibit the problem described in this thread?

Also, I want to use the correct terminology on all this. What would this display problem be known as, terminology wise? An overlay maybe?

Thanks....

Comment

Try ohming out the LVDS cable, but most likely the panel is the problem.

Comment

I don't think it's the panel. I'd be very surprised if it was.

Comment

OK, I'll try to ohm out the LVDS cable, but again, doesn't anyone think that this problem could be due to driver electronics between the T-Con's output and the TAB on that particular cell giving trouble? I'm not saying the TAB or the actual panel itself, but the drive electronics before the TAB. I thought the panel's drivers have surface mount micro fuses on them. Something to look at?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                        X