Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olevia 265FHD problems!

Hi guys!
    I was just surfing around craigslist and picked up a 65 inch LCD the other day. I knew it was bad before getting it, but need some help with this one. Unlike every other TV I ever worked on, it has two power boards. When you try flipping the TV on the "Olevia" screen pops up and then the screen cuts off. However, the LEDs on the board with all the inputs remain lit. You can turn the TV "off" after this happens as well and when you turn it back on the process starts all over again. I examined both PSU's and I don't see any obvious bad caps. However, one of the power supply boards makes a weird winding winning sound before the TV cuts off unlike the identical board right next to it. Does anyone have any idea what this problem sounds like? As usual, any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

Re: Olevia 265FHD problems!

Please up load the good clear pictures of the boards and how they are connected, that will be the starter. Make sure to use 'GO ADVANCED' to up load the pictures.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Alright here's what I've got so far. I need to take out a lot more screws in order to get pictures of the inverter boards.. which may be the problem because my symptoms are identical to this guys.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ghlight=olevia

However, check these pictures out and see if there's anything I should start off with. Thanks!
      Attached Files

Comment

Do you have a multimeter?

Can you start taking voltages and let us know them.

Also can you take some nice clear close ups of the connectors so we can see the pinouts.
        Do NOT touch heatsinks when testing for voltages as they may be LIVE!

Comment

I do have a multimeter, but don't know where I should be taking voltages from. I'll take pictures of the connectors and put them up in a few. Thanks!

Comment

You should see a legend by the connector for the voltage on each corresponding pin. Put the red probe in the connecter (get it to touch the wire) and the black probe on the chassis (ground). The meter should be set to DC.

...hmm those caps look like rubycons, wonder if it has been recapped - never known Olevia to have quality components - but also didn't know they made 65" TVs either

Comment

Here are the pictures! I will take voltages tonight, but in what state should I take the voltages? Also I was reading and I think that the caps are original based on what others have said online as well as the person I got it from.
              Attached Files

Comment

Those caps look original. They are Rubycon and United Chemicon, very good caps. Not typical RadioShack replacements, so they are most likely original.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Wow, well that is a very good thing.

Take the voltages while the set is on.

The TV sounds like a 2sec to black thing - can you see a pic with an external source of light?

There is an inverter board on this TV - can you include a pic of that as well? (Is that what you are referring to as your second power board?)

If it is causing whining then it more than likely sounds like a bad inverter transformer or even CCFL.

But first verify voltages.
                  Last edited by drpj23; 12-14-2012, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Yeah that's what it seems like. I didn't get time to take the voltages yet, but will do that tomorrow along with take picture of the inverter boards (there are more than one I think!). What do you mean by a picture with an external light source? Thanks!

Comment

means the sun or a lamp not useing the flash on the camera. edit i think he means shine a flashlight at the screen and see if you can see a picture.
                      Last edited by Phaihn; 12-14-2012, 10:30 PM.
                      My Computer.
                      AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                      Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                      Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                      500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                      1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                      2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Alright I will do that in the morning. Thanks!

Comment

Although the backlights are off, the main is probably still processing the picture on the screen. You can prob see a menu with a flashlight or some light source.

Generally, I use a overhead fluorescent and lay the TV back while adjust my viewing angle and turning on and off the menu.

If you can manage to see an image somehow then it just verifies there is a problem with the backlight section of the TV.

Comment

Alright, well I will probably try starting off with a flashlight. The TV is heavy (5 year old off brand 65 inch LCDs are NOT light!) so moving it around would't work too well.

Comment

Okay well I didn't get around to checking voltages STILL but I did try using my little harbor freight LED flashlight to see if I could get a picture... with no luck. Is it possible that I need something more powerful or am I hitting it with the wrong angle? Please let me know. Thanks!

Comment

I have to say I've only seen the flashlight trick work on some LCDs. It doesn't work on all of them.
                                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Akk944 I want to thank you for you pictures. Specially of the Main Board LED's. I have a 265fhd-t11 that the the audio has gone out on. It only get clicking noise from internal speaker. and if I connect external speakers I get the same clicking noise. I have the exact same lights as in your picture except I have a red LED next to the D2Audio chip. I"v been looking for a main board with no luck. I think I have found a D2audio chip and will have a friend of mine that dose board repair replace it for me. crossing fingers and hoping that works. This has been a great TV for 4 years, and still has a great picture. I hope you were able to get your TV working. Thanks again for the pictures. It confirms for me that the led should be green and not red.
                                  Last edited by LBN; 05-26-2013, 09:55 PM.

Comment

LBN, since your Olevia is working could you possibly measure voltages relative to the chassis on White, Blue and Yellow wires in the CN2 connector on the Main PCB when the TV is running? It should be between 3 and 12v DC. Thanks!
                                    Last edited by HAHOMETP; 05-26-2013, 10:10 PM.

Comment

messured White, Blue and Yellow wires on CN2. while tv was on and running. got no reading on White, Blue and Yellow wires. Messured orange wire and got 11.88 volts DC.

Comment

LBN, thank you very much for the information!

FYI I have attached a portion of my Main PCB with *presumably* working sound. The LED D204 is green. It turns on after a very slight delay and when it does the 4.2v appear on the brown wire in J60. So if your D204 is red, it might indeed be indicative of a malfunction.

Incidentally, in my Main PCB the D1 and D2 are red. The D1 is a STANDBY indicator, so probably red is normal. Could you possibly tell me what color is the D2 in yours? Also, if this is not too much trouble, could you measure the voltage at TP9?
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by HAHOMETP; 05-30-2013, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X