Problems with Vizio M470NV LED TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Vizio M470NV LED TV

Hi all. I have a 47 inch vizio LED LCD TV model # m470nv. I've already replaced the power supply, which was bad when I got the TV. Replacing this gave the TV power, but nothing else. Next I replaced the main board. The vizio logo in the front now goes from amber to white, and can be controlled by the remote control now. If i shine a light onto the screen, I can faintly see the image that should be on the screen.

The only other board left to replace is the T-CON board. What exactly would this board do? Could it be the problem? I'm kinda new to all this, just wondering if anyone may be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to reply

Re: Problems with Vizio M470NV LED TV

If you can see image with the flash light, the T-CON is working but the LED backlights are not on. Do you see any white light through the back side of the panel? Any pictures of the board?
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

here are some pics of everything on the inside of this TV

also, I had the TV hooked up to my PC last night via HDMI to test for sound, and it works. I think the TV is fully functional except for the backlight... (big deal eh

I don't see any white light when I look through the back of the TV when it's supposed to be on.

also, was wondering where the wires that run from the top of the power board towards the top of the TV go to. On the board, they are labeled "VLED" and they seem to run behind the chassis of the TV. Do these hook up to the LEDs by any chance?

thanks for everyone's help!
      Last edited by angrydingo; 04-01-2012, 12:33 PM.

Comment

bump for help? ;-(

Comment

I think your inline pics have thrown off a lot of people, including me, who deal with slow internet connections. Please attach them using "Manage Attachments" in future.

Have you checked PSU output voltages?
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I have the same TV,and mine would turn on,show the Vizio logo on the screen,and then go dark after a few seconds.If you shined a light on the screen,you could see the picture.
            The wires do go to the LEDs.There are two strips on the top,and two on the bottom.If you end up taking yours apart,you want to be very careful with the connectors at the end of the LEDs.I ended up pulling one off the LED strip.Good thing it was on a bad LED strip.
            It turned out to be the LED backlights,as well as the power supply.I had tried another power supply at first,but it didn't make any difference.Then I tried a set of backlights I had bought from a TV with a broken panel,and the TV would stay lit.This was using the new power supply,with the new LEDs outside the TV.In the process of putting the TV back together,I installed the old power supply thinking there was nothing wrong with it,and the TV was back to turning on,and going dark after a few seconds.Even with the new power supply.You could still see a picture if you shined a light on the screen.
            After hunting all over for just the backlights,I ended up buying a complete TV with a broken screen,and this time,I used the backlights,as well as the power supply,and the TV has been working ever since.The funny thing is the backlights have part numbers on them,but I couldn't find anyone that had them.I hope this helps. Please let me know.Thank You very much!

Tyler

Comment

Foirst as tom said its great having pictures but by not using the image attachments button you have to load all the pics before you can really read what's going on. This is a disaster if you are trying to read your issue on a tablet etc :-)

It sounds very strange that the majority of your board have needed swapping.

What you need to do is look at the cables that connect the power supply to the main board and read the labels for each cable there should be a cable that gives the power supply a signs to turn on the back light.

Let us know that the labels are and your readings.

You also have some excellent first had experience from the judge. It would definately be worth checking those led power connectors.
              Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
              Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

If you remove the LED strips, you can check them with a multimeter on diode test, as long as the output voltage is 3V on your meter. It does work on my meter. You need to check each LED and replace the faulty one.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Think he has already been helped out on another thread. I think he has opted to buy the replacement LED strips.
                  Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
                  Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

My vizio 47 shuts off, the vizio sign blinks yellow for a few minutes then the power comes back. my board was replaced twice under warranty but it never stopped this problem. one repairman said the part i needed was not available anymore. does anyone know what causes this and what would have to be replaced?
                    thank you

Comment

I have the same tv but my problem is a lil bit different.
                      For one I don't have the remote that goes to it
                      2 when I first plug it in I see the amber stand by light flashes then steady
                      then I press the power button tv turns on led's the amber light goes white
                      then the leds dim down some and then I try some functions through the multi power button switch and then tv goes back to off no amber then if I wait I can turn it back on and the same thing happens again.

During all of this there is no picture at all.
                      but tv does seem to be doing what it is supposed to do upon turning on..
                      i have had the back off of the tv but can not find anything wrong with anything by looking at it. any ideas as to what it may be..
                      thank you very much and have a great day. Jaymz

I'am not saying to do this but if all the problem was with mine was the led's I would just go to autozone and pic up white led's strips and hook a ext. 12v power supply to them and place them inside where the other ones would be and turn it on from a separate switch.
                      Last edited by Jaymzway; 02-08-2014, 11:36 PM.

Comment

However one thing I just took notice to this might not mean much but?
                        and how can I tell if these caps are bad or not?
                        thank you.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Jaymzway; 02-09-2014, 01:44 AM.

Comment

I fixxed mine woo hoo...Problems with Vizio M470NV LED TV

nevermind I fixxed mine

Comment

Re: I fixxed mine woo hoo...Problems with Vizio M470NV LED TV

Originally posted by Jaymzway View Post
                            nevermind I fixxed mine
                            what did you find ?
                            I have one similar issue
                            Backlight is good, no video or display.
                            t-con has its 5 and 12 volts.
                            after left on like this the power light starts blinking and backlight goes out

Comment

Re: I fixxed mine woo hoo...Problems with Vizio M470NV LED TV

Originally posted by kramer123 View Post
                              what did you find ?
                              I have one similar issue
                              Backlight is good, no video or display.
                              t-con has its 5 and 12 volts.
                              after left on like this the power light starts blinking and backlight goes out
                              once after my light stops blinking Iam able to turn it on
                              its almost like its doing a diagnostic scan before it starts up.
                              have you tried turning it on by the tv itself maybe your remote is not connected to the tv mind you that remote connects by bluetooth

Comment

Just so everyone knows but 99% of the time this model has the following symptoms, its going to be due to a bad main board

HDMI ports don't work but TV turns on fine
                                LED on frame blinks as soon as the TV is plugged in, but never stops blinking.
                                LED on frame blinks and settles, but once the power button is pressed the TV never turns on.
                                LED on frame blinks and settles, and pressing the power button a second time only makes it blink again.
                                LED on frame stays orange/amber and pressing the power button has no affect.
                                Tv turns on but gets stuck on Vizio logo

Comment

Working...
                                X