Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung LE37A556P1F Flashing red light

Hi All,

Can anyone help me work our what I need to do next.....

I bought this tv and it was turning itself off after a minute or two. I took it apart and noticed that the were a few bad capacitors on the board. I changed all of these capacitors with ones of the same value and then hoping that I had fixed the problem I put it all back together.

Unfortunately the problem was still there. I then decided to disconnect the touch panel on the tv incase that was faulty and causing the TV to turn off but This still didnt help.

When the TV did turn on the screen came on as it should with the No Signal message before it turned itself off.

Now the TV wont turn on at all. The red light just flashes 4 times and then goes to solid red.

I have attached a pic of the board and the board model number.

I am sure with your help I can finally get this up and running
    Attached Files
    Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
    Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Re: Samsung LE37A556P1F Flashing red light

Hello people. My Samsung LE37M86BD TV has got black screen. The power supply provides all the voltages needed to, but it will not turn on, even though the "Power Button" you can see that it is on! There comes a glimpse of the backlight for a few milliseconds and then disappears.
    Is there anyone who knows about this?

Thank you in advance.

Comment

Re: Samsung LE37M86BD wont turn the screen!

Hello people. My Samsung LE37M86BD TV has got black screen. The power supply provides all the voltages needed to, but it will not turn on, even though the "Power Button" you can see that it is on! There comes a glimpse of the backlight for a few milliseconds and then disappears.

Thank you in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasgriff View Post
        I bought this tv and it was turning itself off after a minute or two. I took it apart and noticed that the were a few bad capacitors on the board. I changed all of these capacitors with ones of the same value and then hoping that I had fixed the problem I put it all back together.
        1) Did you replace all the capacitors or just the obviously bad ones?

2) What brand and series did you use for replacements? For example, Panasonic is the brand and FM is the series.

3) See my standard answer regarding replacing capacitors at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...84&postcount=3

4) Do you have a multimeter and are you familiar with measuring DC voltages?

5) If you have a multimeter, please post a picture of it.

6) We will need clear focused pictures to suggest test points. The ones you posted are way too grainy to make out any detail. We will also need a picture of the main board.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by TechAMP View Post
          We need clear top down focused pictures of both sides of all your boards uploaded to this forum in order to suggest test points. Follow the instructions in my sig file below exactly.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for the response! Her is som stuff to look at:

Comment

1) Did you replace all the capacitors or just the obviously bad ones?

All of the capacitors were replaced except for the massive one.

2) What brand and series did you use for replacements? For example, Panasonic is the brand and FM is the series.

5 x 35v 1000uf 105c (SD CD263)
              1 x 10v 3300uf 105c (KY)
              1 x 10v 2200uf 105c (FR 1390F)
              2 x 25v 1000uf 105c (SD CD263)

I have to hold my hands up they are the first I could get my hands on so I can imagine they might not be favoured brands.

3) See my standard answer regarding replacing capacitors at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...84&postcount=3

I will have a read up on this now.

4) Do you have a multimeter and are you familiar with measuring DC voltages?

Yes, i have some knowlege measuring DC Voltages.

5) If you have a multimeter, please post a picture of it.

Yes I recently purchased a UNI-T 132A. I have attached a picture of it below.

6) We will need clear focused pictures to suggest test points. The ones you posted are way too grainy to make out any detail. We will also need a picture of the main board.

Sorry for the poor picture I didnt have my camera to hand. I have attached a picture of the exact same board that I found on on the net which also has the capacitors values written on them. I will have to attach the bottom on a second post as this wont attach in this one.

Thanks again for your help...
              Attached Files

Comment

Here is a picture of the underside of the board.

The mainboard is an MT8226_EMMA BN41-00974B I will work on trying to get an image of this for you.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                  We need clear top down focused pictures of both sides of all your boards uploaded to this forum in order to suggest test points. Follow the instructions in my sig file below exactly.
                  Thanks for the response! Her is som stuff to look at:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Right I have had another play with this TV to try and give you as much info as possible.

If you look at connector 1 on the attached Pic The pins are labelled and tested as follows.

NC - N/A
                    ADIM? - Untested
                    BL - Untested
                    NC - N/A
                    GND - Tested OK
                    GND - Tested OK
                    GND - Tested OK
                    GND - Tested OK
                    GND - Tested OK
                    24V - Tested OK
                    24V - Tested OK
                    24V - Tested OK
                    24V - Tested OK
                    24V - Tested OK

Connector 2 Left to right

BLU - Untested
                    Adim - Untested
                    PWM - Untested
                    GND - Tested OK
                    +5v - Tested OK

I also tried.....

Connector 1 Connected
                    Connector 2 connected
                    connector 3 connected

Screen remains blank and the red standby light flashes a few times then goes off. when I press buttons on the remote the stanbylight flases as I would imagine it would during normal operation. If I press the poer button on the remote control the standby light changes to solid red again as I would imagine it does during normal operation.

Connector 1 Connected
                    Connector 2 Disconnected
                    Connector 3 Connected

The backlight come on and the TV behaves exactly as mentioned in the scenario above.

Connector 1 Connected
                    Connector 2 Connected
                    Connector 3 Disconnected

Nothing at all.

Not really sure where to go next?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ok just tried something else.

I am guessing that PWM on connector 2 on the power supply need a must be the a trigger that the mainboard sends to the PSU to tell it to turn everything on.

I tested this by connecting up connector 1 and connector 2 the on the mainboard I found the pin that would supply the power supply with a logic signal and tested it with a multimeter. It seems to be giving out +3.1v.

Should this voltage be higher to tell the power supply to turn on?

Comment

Do you have sound when the TV is turned on?

Have you got all the inverter power cables properly secured; including the cable that is sometimes present going from T-con to power supply?
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                          Do you have sound when the TV is turned on?

Have you got all the inverter power cables properly secured; including the cable that is sometimes present going from T-con to power supply?
                          No sound through any combination of cables that I have tried.

Just tried taking the connectors off and reconnecting them nice and secure but there is still no sound.

Comment

My response is to Jasgriff. Why has TechAMP ambushed Jasgriffs thread, lol.

Sounds like you might have a corrupted eeprom on the mainboard. Was it caps on the power supply that you replaced? I know with the LE40R88BD series that this is quite common (seen it myself) where after replacing the capacitors on the power supply the eeprom is corrupted on the mainboard the first time you boot the T.V. All that said, I am not sure if this will apply to your model but it can't do any harm to look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by TechAMP View Post
                              There comes a glimpse of the backlight for a few milliseconds and then disappears.
                              1) Hookup a DVD source playing a movie. Plug it into the TV. In dark room, can you see the DVD playing without the backlight on? Try shining a flashlight on it. Is there sound?

2) Circled in red are some ICs. What is the part number?

3) The pics are good, but resolution is a bit small on the inverter board. I circled what I think are SMD fuses. A fuse should be marked as something like F100 on the pcb.

A single blown fuse could be causing the backlight not to come on. Check them with your multimeter. A good fuse should measure less than 1.0 ohms.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-29-2012, 12:34 AM. Reason: forgot to attach pic!
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Jasgriff View Post
                                24V - Tested OK
                                24V - Tested OK
                                24V - Tested OK
                                24V - Tested OK
                                24V - Tested OK
                                We prefer the actual readings. I have no idea of your background and/or level of knowledge so "OK" means nothing.

If you wrote instead

24V - measured 24.01V

then, I would agree the voltage is OK.

PS. We want pictures of your board, not some stock photo. A stock photo does not show hot spots, glue turned conductive, burnt resistors, etc.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Connector 1 these signals go to the Inverter board
                                  The ADIM, BL signals are passed through from Connector 2 which connected to the main board.
                                  NC - N/A
                                  ADIM? - Untested: Backlights dimming voltage (0=min, 5v = max brightness)
                                  BL - Untested: Backlights on
                                  NC - N/A
                                  GND - Tested OK
                                  GND - Tested OK
                                  GND - Tested OK
                                  GND - Tested OK
                                  GND - Tested OK
                                  24V - Tested OK
                                  24V - Tested OK
                                  24V - Tested OK
                                  24V - Tested OK
                                  24V - Tested OK

BLU - Untested: Backlights ON signal from the main board (3.3~5v = ON)
                                  Adim - Untested: This pin gets the 0~5vdc Dimming control signal from Main board
                                  PWM - Untested: This pin is not used, it is the Pulse Width Modulation signal (another method of Dimming the backlights) from the main board for Dimming control, is not used on this set.
                                  GND - Tested OK
                                  +5v - Tested OK: 5Vdc to the main board

So you need to have the BL 3.3~5VDC on this pin for the Inverter to come on, you already have the 24vdc, you just do not have the ON signal per your post.
                                  Last edited by budm; 02-29-2012, 12:11 AM.
                                  Never stop learning
                                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by py3m4n View Post
                                    My response is to Jasgriff. Why has TechAMP ambushed Jasgriffs thread, lol.

Sounds like you might have a corrupted eeprom on the mainboard. Was it caps on the power supply that you replaced? I know with the LE40R88BD series that this is quite common (seen it myself) where after replacing the capacitors on the power supply the eeprom is corrupted on the mainboard the first time you boot the T.V. All that said, I am not sure if this will apply to your model but it can't do any harm to look into it.
                                    Hi Py3m4n,

I changed all of the capacitors on the cold side of the board and it came on a couple of times for a few seconds then straight off sometimes you could hear a high pitched noise or scream coming from the mainboard by the sound of it.

When I get back from work I will start to check the mainboard I will also take some good pics of it so that you can point me in the right direction of what to check.

Ta for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                      We prefer the actual readings. I have no idea of your background and/or level of knowledge so "OK" means nothing.

If you wrote instead

24V - measured 24.01V

then, I would agree the voltage is OK.

PS. We want pictures of your board, not some stock photo. A stock photo does not show hot spots, glue turned conductive, burnt resistors, etc.
                                      Sorry,

24V - 24.3v
                                      24V - 24.3v
                                      24V - 24.3v
                                      24V - 24.3v
                                      24V - 24.3v

I will sort out some better pictures when I return home from work. I used those stock photos just to see if there was anything thing that could be tested whilst I had the day off twiddling my thumbs

Cheers for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                        Connector 1 these signals go to the Inverter board
                                        The ADIM, BL signals are passed through from Connector 2 which connected to the main board.
                                        NC - N/A
                                        ADIM? - Untested: Backlights dimming voltage (0=min, 5v = max brightness)
                                        BL - Untested: Backlights on
                                        NC - N/A
                                        GND - Tested OK
                                        GND - Tested OK
                                        GND - Tested OK
                                        GND - Tested OK
                                        GND - Tested OK
                                        24V - Tested OK
                                        24V - Tested OK
                                        24V - Tested OK
                                        24V - Tested OK
                                        24V - Tested OK

BLU - Untested: Backlights ON signal from the main board (3.3~5v = ON)
                                        Adim - Untested: This pin gets the 0~5vdc Dimming control signal from Main board
                                        PWM - Untested: This pin is not used, it is the Pulse Width Modulation signal (another method of Dimming the backlights) from the main board for Dimming control, is not used on this set.
                                        GND - Tested OK
                                        +5v - Tested OK: 5Vdc to the main board

So you need to have the BL 3.3~5VDC on this pin for the Inverter to come on, you already have the 24vdc, you just do not have the ON signal per your post.
                                        While testing connector 1 with connector 2 and 3 plugged into the mainboard I get the following...

Adim = 0v
                                        BL = 0.1v

This is in the on state where if connector 1 was hooked up it would give me a completely blank picture.

With connector 1 and 3 connected I tested connector 2 on the mainboard.

BLU = 0.1v
                                        Admin = 0v
                                        PWM = 3.2v

Ta for the help with the pins this will help when I am do a little more testing tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                        X