Samsung LE37A556P1F Flashing red light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung LE37A556P1F Flashing red light

How did you find the service manual I have spent a while looking for it with no success.

So if the remote seems to be working the TV are we thinking that the software is corrupt stopping it from loading up?

This is why there is no sound and no picture because its not loading up properly?

What about programming the TV using the service port? or would that also fail if the tv wont load up?

Do you have a link for the service manual?

Sorry that this tv has now become frustrating for you also
    Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
    Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

I have had the service manual for some time now. My nephew had a similar model. His is either a LE40A556 or an LE40A559 I cant remember which, but all his required was replacing a few caps on the power supply. What is annoying is that it was repaired not a year previous by a 'reputable' repair company and you could clearly see the sub par soldering work where they had replaced 2 caps with some 'craps' (I can't remember the brand) they looked like they had been pulled from an old PC motherboard. The fee for their work? If I recall correctly it was around £120 for 2 caps + labour!!

I will see if I can find you a link to the service manual.

For me if the T.V is stuck in standby and clicking and your power supply is good. Given the info on a very closely related model that was released the same year (the LE40A557). My first stop after testing the power would be the eeprom considering it is the Achilles heel if you like, too far to many Samsung LCD and Plasma T.Vs.

I am not sure about the service port. Would need to hope someone else has experience with that, I haven't tried. I would guess it would work if you had a copy of the firmware.

Originally posted by Jasgriff View Post
      Sorry that this tv has now become frustrating for you also
      Sadly (to some...) no, I find it all intriguing and informative, I am a masochist, once I get going the frustration is part of the pleasure, lol.
      Last edited by py3m4n; 03-04-2012, 12:58 PM.

Comment

The standby light is doing all the right things like flashing 4 times when turning on then solid red when turned off.

Its very strange!

Comment

How many clicks are you hearing? Are you hearing a faint click then a louder one?

For arguments sake let's say the 100 ohm smd resistor by the eeprom applies to your model and you are connected to the correct data pins. That said, try disconnecting the wires right on/after the first click you hear. Then follow the rest of the procedure laid out in post 77 by Scenic.
          Last edited by py3m4n; 03-04-2012, 01:12 PM.

Comment

No clicks really. Just tried it again a few times.

Comment

So your not hearing any clicks from the power supply?

Comment

Nope. I am definitely getting power to the mainboard though.

Comment

Sounds like replacing the main board is going to be the only way to fix it. That now says to me that the eeprom is unlikely to be the problem and you can't be sure you haven't corrupted it trying to reset it, if you do indeed have the right chip and pins connected. I don't have the relevant skill set (yet!) to walk you through fault finding the mainboard to see what else could be stopping it powering up. Maybe Budm or someone else who was guiding you through this earlier can help. That's if your up for some component level repair that is.

Comment

I've uploaded the service manual to Mediafire, here's the link.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1fb8rk...- LE52A556.rar

Comment

I am up for some component level stuff if I knew what it was that was causing the problem. I think trying to get hold of another board is probably the easiest thing to do.

I did have a second similar board which I took the eeprom off as a bit of a practice but I don't want to take the other one apart without being confident that its going to do something.

I will keep looking for a new board

Comment

Ahhh ta. I will have a look through that too! lol

Comment

Getting a hold of another can be easy and pricey! Particularly on Fleabay. The temptation is to go for the cheapest price you can get. Problem being, that a lot of the geezers selling them are just pulling them straight out of damaged screen T.Vs with no testing whatsoever. I just had cracker of an experience with this the other week. I bought a power supply for a Bush LCD that he claimed was 'tested fully working'. On receiving it you could clearly see it had, had extensive repair attempts made on it (seriously bad soldering, trace repair attempts all over the place) so I stuck it in and crossed my fingers! and nothing, zilch, nada. The bridge rectifier tested good but there was nothing at the main filter cap. Lesson learned, AGAIN, lol. Back in the post it went, I wasn't interested in trying to repair it and the T.V can just sit in the corner till I can be bothered with it again (it's quite old). You live and learn...

Comment

I know I had the same when buying a refurbished power supply for this tv which was actually in worse condition than the one that was already in it!

Looking at that service Manual I can get away with using the mainboard of other sizes?

Comment

Originally posted by Jasgriff View Post
                              Looking at that service Manual I can get away with using the mainboard of other sizes?
                              Where do you see that? personally I would only be looking to use the BN41-0094A to save myself any grief.

Comment

Yeah the same board but it looks like I can use a 32" 40" board it doesnt just have to be a 37" tv that it comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by py3m4n View Post
                                  we can rule out the ATMLH816 (also know as AT24C32CN) as it only has 32K of memory, not enough to store the operating system, it requires a minimum of 256K.
                                  First of all, the 256KBit EEPROM doesn't store any "operating system". It's solely for the user settings (brightness, contrast, settings/options, channels, ...) which can get corrupted, preventing the TV from starting up (probably doesn't like the brightness (for example) being set to 255 out of 100 and similar mess-ups).

The Firmware ("OS") of the TV is stored in a 16MBit or so Flash-EEPROM, which can be seen in the attached pic (with the bright yellow sticker on it). Resetting/erasing that would be equal to cracking the board in half in terms of fixing it.
                                  Originally posted by py3m4n View Post
                                  The remaining 3 ATMLH820 (also known as AT24C02) are essentially the same as the previously mentioned AT24C256B
                                  Totally wrong. You're saying a 2KBit EEPROM (24C02) is the same as a 256KBit EEPROM (24C256).

although it has been done on the LE40A557 (mainboard BN44-00199A) and it is located at IC5107.
                                  BN44-00199A is a Powersupply/Inverter board.

@ Jasgriff: Look for 8leg IC's on the backside of the board, close to the CI card slot (the one that looks like Cardbus/PCMCIA on older laptops) that says either "24C256" (or some variation like AT24C256B) OR "2EB 1" in the 2nd line.

If the first line starts with "ATMLxxxx", that just tells you it's made by Atmel and a cryptic datecode. Doesn't help identifying the IC at all.

I've been "out of service" for a week or so because of a lumbar disk herniation. REALLY sucked. Couldn't stand, let alone walk. That combined with a cold makes for a REALLY fucked up week of not being able to move and every cough feeling like someone's punching your back/spine with needles..
                                  I'll try to read through this thread again from the ground up, trying to ignore all the damn off-topic posts of different boards.

If the attached pic (BN41-00974B mainboard) is the one Jasgriff has, I'd need a pic of the back of the board, preferably labelled which of the 8pin IC's is which somehow.
                                  The slot in the top right is the CI card slot I was talking about earlier.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Scenic; 03-12-2012, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                                    First of all, the 256KBit EEPROM doesn't store any "operating system". It's solely for the user settings (brightness, contrast, settings/options, channels, ...) which can get corrupted, preventing the TV from starting up (probably doesn't like the brightness (for example) being set to 255 out of 100 and similar mess-ups).
                                    I stand corrected. I new calling it the OS wasn't a good choice of words at the time, need to really swot up on my terminology.

The Firmware ("OS") of the TV is stored in a 16MBit or so Flash-EEPROM, which can be seen in the attached pic (with the bright yellow sticker on it). Resetting/erasing that would be equal to cracking the board in half in terms of fixing it.
                                    I was wanting to know where this was, as I know this is where the back-up of the user settings is stored that get's flashed to the EEPROM (24C256) when you replace it.

Totally wrong. You're saying a 2KBit EEPROM (24C02) is the same as a 256KBit EEPROM (24C256).
                                    I was purely attempting to state they were also EEPROM I.Cs and that they were unlikely to be where the user settings are located. (I know, I know, I called it the OS)

BN44-00199A is a Power supply/Inverter board.
                                    I stand corrected again. Why I thought it was the mainboard I don't know, all the confusion with different T.V parts being discussed I suppose.

Looking up BN44-00199A it's only the power supply not the power supply/inverter. Why do you say it's both? I know on later models Samsung incorporate the SMPS and inverter but on this model the inverter is separate isn't it? part no. VIT71037.50.

Bear in mind I am always learning (self taught) and I am genuinely interested as to why you say it's both.

All that out the way. What's your thinking on this now? after you weed out TechAMPs posts do you still reckon Jasgriffs problem is a corrupted EEPROM?

Hope your back issues get better soon!

Comment

Just read your response on the other thread I also found it funny. I will get back on this tv tomorrow as I now have my proper camera back I can take some decent pictures.

my fluke 175 will hopefully arrive to play about with too!

Scenic sorry to hear about your health but glad you are still finding time to help people out.

Comment

Right I have taken these new pictures of the set and I have highlighted all of the EEPROMS.

Hope this helps us identify which one may be causing the issue.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Right I still need to get this up and running.

I have seen another motherboard on eBay but its for the 32 inch version of the set. All the connection look to be right. The model number is BN41-00974B do we think its worth a try?

Comment

Working...
                                          X