Sony Bravia KDL-40W5810 fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Bravia KDL-40W5810 fault

Hi guys picked up this bravia lcd last night, powers on to solid green led for a few seconds (nothing displayed) then blinks 8 red leds, no sign of bloated caps, not many on this psu, any help would be apreciated, difficult to read voltages as only green for a few seconds

thanks Ronnie
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Re: Sony Bravia KDL-40W5810 fault

Ok managed to find service manual for W5800, 8 flashes is audio? just checked the main board and what I think is smd fuses, found one which is open, could this be the 12v audio supply? pic included
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Comment

anyone any advice?
      sigpic

Comment

Well, replace it. If it blows again, then there's a fault with the audio section - probably one of those SO8 MOSFETs / audio amps.
        Last edited by tom66; 02-12-2012, 10:11 AM.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
          Well, replace it. If it blows again, then there's a fault with the audio section - probably one of those SO8 MOSFETs.
          I did a temp fix with fine strand of copper wire! made no diffrence? still 8 red flashes
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by netdent View Post
            I did a temp fix with fine strand of copper wire! made no diffrence? still 8 red flashes
            Check where the 12V disappears. Might be another fuse that's blown.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks Tom, there does seem to be another open smd fuse on the otherside of the board, but the fuse for 13v audio in the manual is intact.

I may just need to source another board, I think the psu is ok, this smd stuff is tricky to work on

thanks Ronnie
              sigpic

Comment

Once you get used to it it's not so bad.

I build radio kits as a hobby, and prefer SMD over through hole components. There once was a day when I dreaded SMD stuff.

The major thing is make sure you have the correct tools for the job. With the wrong tools you will make it much more difficult than it needs to be. Fine solder and a fine tipped iron are a must as is a magnifier for the really small stuff. Hot air is a benefit too.

Comment

Originally posted by bbjunkie View Post
                  Once you get used to it it's not so bad.

I build radio kits as a hobby, and prefer SMD over through hole components. There once was a day when I dreaded SMD stuff.

The major thing is make sure you have the correct tools for the job. With the wrong tools you will make it much more difficult than it needs to be. Fine solder and a fine tipped iron are a must as is a magnifier for the really small stuff. Hot air is a benefit too.
                  Yes good point, I have all that stuff now, but still find it hard to place these tiny components, practiced on a scrap board with the hot air, ended up blowing loads of components away around the one i was removing, scary if it was a good board lol, I have replaced a few smd eproms but used an iron, just to be sure!!

Ronnie
                  sigpic

Comment

Indeed, airflow is critical! Tweezers is the way forward for placing components, and if you do enough hot air work solder paste makes things a little easier - but the shelf life makes it a bit expensive for occasional use.

Comment

hi can you post a much clearer shot in main board and the board at the bottom of it? and please confirm if you have 12v dc out from main smps so we can focusing trouble shooting in main board.

Comment

Originally posted by exsonyexpert View Post
                        hi can you post a much clearer shot in main board and the board at the bottom of it? and please confirm if you have 12v dc out from main smps so we can focusing trouble shooting in main board.
                        Hi thankyou for your response to this, I now have the tv working, I replaced the main av board which cured the fault, the replacement board did not have connector for the freesat board (small board below main av) as it was slightly diffrent model, I managed to buy all the boards from the set for £70 which is handy if you mis diognose the faulty board

Thanks Ronnie
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X