Magnavox Plasma TV 42MF231D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnavox Plasma TV 42MF231D

Doesn't work, got it for $30 figuring it would be a good gable and I could have some fun.

Whats the difference between Plasma and LCD screens?

When you plug the TV in, power light doesn't come on.
    Press power button, hear a "click" from the back.
    Seconds later hear a second "click" from same spot.

Anything I should know before ripping it open?

Re: Magnavox Plasma TV 42MF231D

Originally posted by epicelite View Post
    Doesn't work, got it for $30 figuring it would be a good gable and I could have some fun.
    Yep, you can do that alright!

Plasma repairs tend to be more difficult, most LCD problems are quite simple either PSU/Inverter repair or CCFL replacement.

Be very careful there are lethal voltages in there, dont touch ANYTHING unless you are sure it isn't live (including the chassis)
    Dont assume because the power is switched off (always remove the plug) that the tv can't bite - there are some very large banks of caps that can give you a lethal shock even after power off.

Open it up and get some decent resolution pics (max 2000x2000) of the boards with back off and one of the PSU board (usually cream or brown colour board) - top down and posted using the manage attachments function.

Do you have a Multimeter? If so, a pic of it too would help us tell you what goes where (unless you know how to operate it properly already)

Jim
    Last edited by bbjunkie; 01-27-2012, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Well I mean what makes a plasma screen different from a LCD screen? Is it still liquid crystal but a different type? I have no idea.

I'll try to get pics but some stuff is covered up and I'm not sure how good of a res I can get.

Comment

When you plug the TV in, power light doesn't come on.
        Press power button, hear a "click" from the back.
        Seconds later hear a second "click" from same spot.

Yes. These use the Samsung LJ92-01200A Y-sustain and LJ92-01202A / LJ92-01203A buffers. These are prone to shorting. A complete set is available on eBay for $239. You do the math; I believe it's not worth repairing.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

No less than 12 different threads here on this TV.
          Search: 42MF231*

Manual (45MB): http://www.mediafire.com/?qwtwzmmjy2f

Toast
          veritas odium parit

Comment

Well what parts are prone to shorting? I can replace them myself.

Comment

Well what parts are prone to shorting? I can replace them myself.
              How are your soldering skills? This job will require you to replace any number of failed components, both on the y-sustain and one or both of the buffer boards. The buffer ICs tend to short out, and take the y-sustain with them. You must find every single fault before you try again, or you will take down all your brand new parts, as these Samsung tvs will take out the buffers with a bad y-sustain and vice versa. You will need SMD (surface-mount) and through-hole desoldering and soldering skills. That's assuming that the components are even available and are not custom parts.

I fix these things as a hobby: I picked up a 42 inch Dell plasma with this trio of sustain and buffer boards. Lucky for me the lower buffer was shorting out, and the previous owner stopped using it before the fault blew up the y-sustain, so I was able to get by with a new buffer board. If everything was blown it would have been very expensive and I probably would have just junked it.

If I were you, and I had the soldering experience and didn't care if I blew the boards up again (and could do the soldering!), I would try to find and fix everything that shorted out. It could be a learning experience, or an exercise in frustration. Otherwise, try and sell the parts out of it. Who knows, maybe you can get a few $$$ for or something.

One last thing, if you are determined to follow through, here is a youtube video of a fellow who is replacing buffer ics, almost looks like the LJ92-1202A: http://youtu.be/5hVi5gd0aec

Comment

I'll give it a go! Got the Y-Justafyer taken out so now just go to find out what IC(s) went bad!

I have a multimeter that I think has a beep function on it, but no leads for it.
                "Kal 3000"
                Think I could get some generic meter leads at Lowes or someplace to fit it?

Comment

My hand-me-down multimeter had trashed leads, I got a new set at radiosnack for under $10.

Comment

Originally posted by rpgruss View Post
                    My hand-me-down multimeter had trashed leads, I got a new set at radiosnack for under $10.

eBay for $2

Comment

Originally posted by bbjunkie View Post

eBay for $2
                      Delivery:
                      Estimated between Tue. Feb. 14 and Tue. Feb. 28

I'm impatient, and I paid a ($6) premium to have them now.

Comment

Originally posted by bbjunkie View Post

eBay for $2
                        Having first hand experience with 99 cent multimeters on ebay and the probes that come with it, I would say buyer beware. The probes literally fell apart after using it 4 times.
                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I dunno if its the Y-Whatever, I get no power light when its plugged in.

Comment

Attached is the back of a 'typical' plasma tv. Yours no doubt looks similar; every plasma TV I've encountered has this style of layout. What you will want to do, is remove the back of the TV. Make sure it has been powered off for at least 10 minutes to discharge the capacitors, otherwise you will get quite a spark in the next step. Unplugthe connector labeled Vs conn from either the y-sustain side or the power supply side. Once it is unplugged, plug the power in the tv and try to turn it on. You will not have a picture on the screen, but the power light should come on.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Unplug the "Y-Whatever" (Y-sustain) and try again. Then repeat with the Z-sustain. If it still doesn't power up; check the power supply.
                              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Tried it with bot unplugged, and just Y-Sus.

No power light, still hear click.

Going to work now though so I will be back later tonight.

Comment

I'm back, where did everyone go?

Comment

So you still just hear two clicks when plugging in, even with both sustain boards disconnected? If that is the case, some pictures may help. The overall back of the tv, probably a close up on the power supply.

Comment

I'll see what I can do, there are no obviously damaged components and its never been worked on before. Fuses check out too.\

EDIT: Can't find my camera.
                                      Last edited by epicelite; 01-27-2012, 10:05 PM.

Comment

So I think we can narrow our search for a problem down to somewhere between the power input and the power LED.

You know I think the guy I got this from had a second one that has the same Samsung parts inside. Maybe we can swap the parts. :P
                                        Last edited by epicelite; 01-28-2012, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X