LG BlueRay Player BD561/572 Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG BlueRay Player BD561/572 Not Working

Hello All, I was given an LG blueray player that is completely dead. I am not an expert electronic technician, but I can defend myself. Preliminary reads I've checked for input voltage it is 122.3v and 167v after rectification. There is 2.4v at vcc pin5 and 169.7v at pin 7/8 of the pwm. This is as far as I've gotten ( I know not much). I have found no info on the transformer #EBJ607700103. I am posting some pics. I could really use some help on how to proceed. thankz

Attached Files

Re: LG BlueRay Player BD561/572 Not Working

Originally posted by powerflow View Post
    There is 2.4v at vcc pin5 and 169.7v at pin 7/8 of the pwm.
    What is the part number of the pwm? I can't quite make out the part number on my monitor with my vision.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The PWM part# is STR A6053M...Additional Markings sk902 20bp. Sorry about the pics I'll do better next time.

Comment

The PWM part# is STR A6053M.
        The datasheet is at

It is the possible that the startup capacitor for the SMPS is bad. I would suspect the Gluxon cap by ZD101. I am guessing it might be around 22uF 50V or 47uF 50V.

Measure the DC voltage across this cap and note if it is steady or not.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I dont know if there are capxon electrolytic caps on the secondary of this power supply, but if they are, change them to low ESR caps.
          The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Tested the voltage across startup Cap. a 47uf 50v gluxon it is steady at 2.4v...thankz for the link to the datasheet.
            Last edited by powerflow; 05-28-2011, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Tested the voltage across startup Cap. a 47uf 50v gluxon it is steady at 2.4v
              Changing the cap is the easiest and cheapest thing to do which might fix your problem.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

What are all of your voltages on the output connector? (green boxed area in pic below)

What brand are these caps? (boxed in red)
                Attached Files
                The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Tested the voltage across startup Cap. a 47uf 50v gluxon it is steady at 2.4v...thankz for the link to the datasheet.
                  That voltage seems very low. The above link to the datasheet is broken, and the datasheet at Sanken's site doesn't give voltage specs. Other, similar controllers have a Vcc in the 16 - 24 range. Most won't even start until they get 16 volts.

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

O.k. I measured voltages across con101, or tried to but all show 0.0v. Markings next to con101 show.

1= 5.3va
                    2= 5.3va
                    3= gnd
                    4= gnd
                    5= 13va
                    6= 13va
                    7= gnd
                    8= VKK (don't Know what this is)
                    9= FLI (-) (don't know what this is)
                    10= FLI (+) (don't know what this is)

another question....does anyone think it may be the transformer gone bad...if so what is the proper procedure for testing.

thankz everyone for the help.

Comment

If you dont have any voltages then that leads back to either the fuses or PWM as mentioned before.

Comment

O.k. I measured voltages across con101, or tried to but all show 0.0v. Markings next to con101 show.

1= 5.3va
                        2= 5.3va
                        3= gnd
                        4= gnd
                        5= 13va
                        6= 13va
                        7= gnd
                        8= VKK (don't Know what this is)
                        9= FLI (-) (don't know what this is)
                        10= FLI (+) (don't know what this is)

another question....does anyone think it may be the transformer gone bad...if so what is the proper procedure for testing.

thankz everyone for the help.
                        It's unlikely it's the transformer. Again, the voltage across the startup cap you reported in post 6 is much too low.

Suggestion - using pin 3 of the PWM as the Gnd, measure the voltage on pins 1-5. The pin 6 position is empty, DO NOT measure pins 7 and 8. Pins 2 and 5 are of primary interest.

PlainBill
                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

1st let me say that I really appreciate the help. I have measure the voltage at pin 1 and 5 from pin3 of the pwm. Both measure 0.23 fluctuating. FYI, I don't own an ESR meter to check the caps if it comes to that.

Comment

While you're waiting for some other suggestions, try re soldering all the through hole components in the area
                            Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                              The above link to the datasheet is broken, and the datasheet at Sanken's site doesn't give voltage specs.
                              It was working yesterday, but as you discovered, the datasheet doesn't give any voltage specs.

Datasheet uploaded for anyone else interested.
                              Attached Files
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

1st let me say that I really appreciate the help. I have measure the voltage at pin 1 and 5 from pin3 of the pwm. Both measure 0.23 fluctuating. FYI, I don't own an ESR meter to check the caps if it comes to that.
                                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

I was looking for the voltages on pins 1 through 5; the voltage on pins 2 and 5 are of particular interest.

The symptoms point to a bad STR-A6053M at this point. I would like to verify that.

PlainBill

Comment

Sorry pBill, it was my misunderstanding, I should have read it more carefully. The voltages are as follows;

1= 0.00
                                  2= 0.00
                                  3= gnd
                                  4= 0.00
                                  5= 2.45
                                  7 & 8 not measured.

Hope this is what you need.
                                  Thanks..

Comment

Sorry pBill, it was my misunderstanding, I should have read it more carefully. The voltages are as follows;

1= 0.00
                                    2= 0.00
                                    3= gnd
                                    4= 0.00
                                    5= 2.45
                                    7 & 8 not measured.

Hope this is what you need.
                                    Thanks..
                                    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. There are a few tests you can try. With power plugged in, measure the voltage from pin 8 to pin 3 (gnd) of the STR-A6053M. Set your DMM to the highest DC range. Also measure the voltage from pin 3 to the + lead of the large cap. If both of these read about 165 volts, it is very likely the STR-A6053M has died, and I don't find anyone who has them available. The only other possibility (and the first step) would be to replace the startup cap, but that is a long shot.

PlainBill

Comment

Well Mr. PBill I have taken the measurements and you are correct they both measure 167.5 and I have already replaced the startup cap.

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Well Mr. PBill I have taken the measurements and you are correct they both measure 167.5 and I have already replaced the startup cap.

Thanks for all the help!
                                        Bummer. A few things that could be done is to slap a new supply in there, or to breadboard a standard controller and power FET. The way prices on Blu-Ray players are dropping it's not worth the trouble.

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                                        X