Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPS CyberPower CP1500AVRLCDa: Newfoundland Hydro company maintenance issue, voltage spike up to 180v!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPS CyberPower CP1500AVRLCDa: Newfoundland Hydro company maintenance issue, voltage spike up to 180v!

Hello to all,

Like to wish you all fruitful NEW YEAR, as I have never seen anything like what we have experienced in the last 5 years.

Again this is a first for me being 60 years old, first time I have ever saw a surge like this (I have seen lighting surge damage).
    My Cyber Power CP1500AVRLCDa was making noises like crazy and I could see the voltage spiking from 19v to 180v on 120v in my house. Fans and lights giving me quite the light and sound show (15 bulbs blew).
    I also lost my Venmar HRV EVO5 HEPA, Brother Printer HL-2270dw, Husky Central Vacuum, LIteSun Model: LA-5A-4, programmable decor light switch, Cooper LED POT light, 2 x Kiddie Smoke alarms 120v with battery 9v battery backup, and Honeywell portable heater (If you have any suggestions for these items, maybe you can shoot me a link or something).

I am attaching a few Photos, looking for some assistance in this case, but I have observed a couple things.

1) 2 amp fuse blown (i was going to replace with 4 amp I have available, what are your thoughts).
    2) I also can see one IC with roasted pin.

Addition:

The UPS does work, but the charging circuit appears to be damaged by the over voltage. The batteries are/were good at time of writing this hardly ever used batteries, they are old but still hold a charge.
    Another interesting point is that I have an older APC unit running my router, it functions as usual (12v car battery on that one).

Any assistance in this or any regards would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Bubbsy 2002; 12-30-2023, 08:14 AM.

NEVER increase fuse ratings.
    replace the i.c. and fuse - use a ceramic fuse.
    and remove all that glue - it turns conductive.

incidentally - isnt the power scumbags responsible for replacing all this gear?
    i'm surprised some of it failed though given some should have had unversal input psu's in it.

Comment

• Bubbsy 2002
      Bubbsy 2002 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Great Sage, Nope cheap bastards said it is our fault for not calling to complain about flickering. I asked for their maintenance schedule and NLPower said, "we do maintenance per provincial rules", need some big cash to get a lawyer I guess. My insurance is currently involved. I am surprised it couldn't handle the voltage and I even unplugged after I figured out what was going on, only reason didn't loze more appliances. One of my neighbours lost his fridge.
      Last edited by Bubbsy 2002; 12-30-2023, 08:16 AM. Reason: grammar

First off I have to repeat stj. Do NOT increase fuse ratings!!! Since you got tons on devices that do not work because of a power mains surge, you are dealing with lots of issues on the primary side of the PSU.
    TIP: Make yourself an incandecent dim bulb tester, aka light bulb trick. Get yourself a few old light bulbs like 60w, 100w, 150w etc. and wire it up in series, so the bulb acts as a current limiter.

I see the Viper22a IC blew. So you got to replace at least that, check the mosfet as it probably blew as well, check the MOV and the diodes. Should be a nice Sunday afternoon repair with a coffee and a pice of pie, if you have all the parts.
    As for the other broken stuff, you can take one by one apart and diagnose while waiting for parts!

Comment

• Bubbsy 2002
      Bubbsy 2002 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi CapLeaker, thanks for the quick response. I forgot to mention in my post, the UPS actually still works, but the charging circuit appears to be dead. I had an older APC model in my basement running my router and it has not failed up to this point still charges, so I charged the Cyber Power UPS batteries with that. So, would the mosfets be involved with charging circuit?
      Thanks,

Guys still need some help here I installed the Viper22A and a 2 amp fuse still no love.
    It appears this charging circuit failure is common with this particular model of Cyberpower UPS.
    Wondering what else is involved in this charging circuit any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

I would check nearby diods and trans, just in case capacitors too.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaZAC View Post
        I would check nearby diods and trans, just in case capacitors too.
        I have to ask you something about the power company that you are dealing with are they a corporation or privately owned company or are customer owned because it makes a difference on how you deal with them if they are a corporation that is controlled by a public service commission then you file a complaint with them and be very deceptive about your situation and see if they can help you or not

I once many years ago when I used to Miami Florida I had a issue with Florida Power and Light Company we had lived in house for over 30 years before my parents sold the property and house but when I was about 19 years we a similar situation where the power company had put the type of transformer meant for street lighting because when my parents had this house we did not have central air conditioning and heat so this was not a big deal because the hole area was very sparse populated but as the year went by the population grew by leaps and bonds with everyone and there air conditioning and swimming pools and everything else

It got to the point where you would see the lights dimming when the central air conditioning would turn on and when the central air conditioning would turn off the lights get brighter and then go back to normal but it got to point that when ever anyone else central air conditioning would turn on and off you would dim and get brighter

So the power company had come with a device that when power demand would be high your central air conditioner would be temporarily disconnected from the power grid for no more than 15 minutes this also would include the water heater as well but it would be disabled for no more than an hour at a time the only time that you really would notice it is in the hottest part of the summer this sometimes would be inconvenient at times but the power company would give you a different rate for kilowatt hours if you have the power on demand device installed in your house

Well what happened to the VCR and television set was it got hit by a severe voltage spikes for to many times that they let out the factory smoke and that was the end of those devices

So l had taken the two devices apart to see what happened to them and it was not pretty at all but this was back when I did not know as much as I know now

So I had contact the power company about the situation and was told that there was nothing they could do because they could not find anything wrong with there system and this was before the power on demand system were developed so I do not understand how they knew that they did not have any issues in our neighborhood so I demanded that they put a voltage recorder that would track the voltage spikes and sagging for several days and I got back with them when the recording device was removed and demanded that I was given the results well while I was fighting with them about this the next day or so what do I see is the power company putting a new bigger transformer on the power pole I was furious with them about this because I knew what was coming next that were going to deny that it was there issue because we had the wrong type of transformer but what was ironic about this my next door neighbor was working for FPL at the time and I knew them very well and he helped me unofficially told me that there policy was to deny every claim that came across there desk which I kind-a knew that this might be the case

Now I am going to give this company a bad case of do not tell me that there's nothing that you can do about this situation because this not the right answer to this situation

I filed a complaint with the public service commission and I got a letter from them that they were investigating was taking place and they would get back to me when they were done with there investigation well a week or so later I got a letter form then saying basically that they have a policy that they would not reimburse you for your loss but that this was going to in there file for the public to see

Well this was not going far enough so I contacted FPL again but this time I was forwarded to retention department this department is something else they basically gave me the runaround and I was not really getting any where with them either until I threatened them that I was going to take this to the media then a few days later I got a phone call from there legal department and one of there represents from that department came out to our house wanting to resolve this situation and what would it take to basically shut me up about this situation

I had gotten them a quote for how much a new VCR machine and a new television would be and we negotiated a reasonable amount for both of these devices considering that they were not new and were several years old and I got something that I could live with but I had to sign a release agreement that I would not go to the media about this situation and release them from any further liability for any other loss from this incident which I agreed to and the case was closed

When I get furious about something stay out of my way because I can get very seriously stupid about something that you are trying to deny that you are not responsible for something that I know better than that and I can make there life miserable at a minimum
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-06-2024, 07:18 AM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

what is the other 8 legged IC that looks similar like the viper?

Comment

Working...
          X