820-2915-A Wont power on with battery connected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

820-2915-A Wont power on with battery connected

Ok so this doing my head in and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to assist.

I've got a MacBook Pro 820-2915-A it will power on without the battery connected, but when the battery is connected it will do a 2,3-second fan spin when pressing the power button and then nothing.

After measuring and probing around I found that R7051 was bad, reading high instead of 2.2Ω so I replaced it. Still the same issue, I have the green light on the charger but it won't power on or charge the battery.

So to cut the long story short I've replaced U7000, R7051, Q7035, Q7030, and finally U4900 (SMC). Now when I connect the battery and adapter, the battery is charging with an orange light, in fact after waiting for 2 odd hours the BIL is indicating fully charged and the adapter changed to green once fully charged. But still, the same issue persists, when I try powering it on I get a slight fan spin and nothing, remove the battery and it powers on fine.

I've tried by-passing the SMC but it will not power on with the battery, by-pass works without the battery connected as I can see the FANS run at full speed.

I'm not sure what it is now, could it be the battery is bad? I've tried turning on the board with just the battery and the same thing, slight spin, and stop. So I checked Q7055 and it has 12.57v on all pins when the battery is not connected, with it is connected pin 4 is 12.54v. Also checked R6950 which is measuring fine.

I've ordered a new battery which is on the way as I need one for myself for testing, measuring the current battery reads 12.37v.

Any help or pointers are greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by beogeek; 02-26-2022, 01:51 AM.

Re: 820-2915-A Wont power on with battery connected

Post the voltage readings of the i2C (smbus) esd diodes at D6950 with the battery connected.

Comment

Hi mon2 appreciate the help.

With only the bat connected
      D6950
      pin 1: 1.196
      pin 2: 1.197
      pin 3: 0

with dc adapter connected & bat connected
      D6950
      pin 1: 2.7-3.4 fluctuating
      pin 2: 2.7-3.4 fluctuating
      pin 3: 0

Comment

Post the voltage readings of D6990.

First with only the power adapter ( no battery ).

Then remove the adapter, use only the battery.

Post the readings.

The PP3V42_G3H is not correct with only the battery.

Comment

D6990
          with charger only
          pin 2: 16.70
          pin 3: 16.41

with bat only
          pin 2: 0.010
          pin 3: 2.952

Comment

D6990 is with 3 pins.

Please also post the voltage of pin #1 of D6990 for each case.

Is the battery charged? What is the voltage on the battery being tested ?

Comment

sorry my bad

with dc
              pin 1: 12.57

bat only
              pin 1: 12.38

bat voltage 12.38

Comment

prior to charging the battery it was indicating about 3 leds on the BIL, charger was amber, once charging was completed the BIL indicates full battery and the charger changed from amber to green.

Board runs fine without the battery connected, boots the OS etc. Only when the bat is connected it wont boot, I connect the charger, the fans quarter spin and that's all it does.

Comment

What is the voltage on both sides of R6990 ? Measure with the battery connected.

Post the voltage of PP3V42_G3H with only the battery.

Comment

R6990
                    Bat only
                    0.010 both sides

bat & dc
                    16.62 left side pin 2
                    16.79 right side pin 1

Comment

Remove all power.

Multimeter in DIODE mode.

Check & post the readings of:

Red meter probe on pin # 1 & black meter probe on pin # 3.
                      Red meter probe on pin # 2 & black meter probe on pin # 3.

Red meter probe on pin # 3 & black meter probe on pin # 1.
                      Red meter probe on pin # 3 & black meter probe on pin # 2.

We want to confirm that D6990 is not damaged.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Red meter probe on pin # 1 & black meter probe on pin # 3. 1.094
                        Red meter probe on pin # 2 & black meter probe on pin # 3. 0.253

Red meter probe on pin # 3 & black meter probe on pin # 1. OL
                        Red meter probe on pin # 3 & black meter probe on pin # 2. OL

Comment

Remove D6990 off the logic board.

Then measure again the voltage on both sides of R6990 with the battery only.

Post the readings.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by mon2; 02-26-2022, 06:46 AM.

Comment

R6690 0.001v on both sides with bat only

Comment

Post the voltage readings on Q7055 mosfet with only the battery.

Voltage readings of:

pins 1-2-3 (Source)
                              pin 4 (gate)
                              pins 5-6-7-8 (Drain)

Please confirm that you are measuring the voltage of resistor R6990 (I had a typo in the earlier post - now corrected).
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by mon2; 02-26-2022, 06:47 AM.

Comment

F6905 0.0 both sides

Comment

1) Post the voltage readings on Q7055 mosfet (with only the battery).

2) Then, remove all power. Meter in resistance mode (2k scale).

Measure & post the readings of the same Q7055 battery mosfet for:

source (1-2-3) & drain (5-6-7-8)
                                  source (1-2-3) & gate (4)
                                  gate (4) & drain (5-6-7-8)

Checking for any low resistance readings which will likely be due to the mosfet being defective.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Q7055
                                    source (1-2-3) & drain (5-6-7-8) 0.4Ω red probe on source, black on drain
                                    source (1-2-3) & gate (4) 171.3Ω red probe on source, black on gate
                                    gate (4) & drain (5-6-7-8) 165.7Ω red probe on gate, black on drain

Comment

Q7055 is defective and needs to be replaced.

You can remove off the logic board and check the resistance again to confirm the readings. The resistance is too low for this mosfet.

If possible, replace with the same part but many parts can work as a replacement, if needed. Maybe you have a donor board ?

Comment

I'll remove it now and report back in a jiff

Comment

Working...
                                        X