Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macbook Pro 2015 A1502 SSD apparently died

Hello,

My macbook pro froze, and now I get the folder with question mark symbol. In the recovery mode the SSD can't be found in the disk utils. I then used a Linux USB stick to try to mount the SSD and it wasn't present in `lsblk` . Which led me to the conclusion that the SSD itself is broken. I then gave it to apple support and they say that the SSD is dead and wanted to replace it for around 400€. I declined this "repair".

Then I bought a new SSD from amazon for 70€, however also this one doesn't work and can't be found in disk utils in the recovery mode. Therefore I suspect that something on the motherboard is broken rather than the SSD itself. Some specs:

Macbook Pro 2015 model A1502
    Original SSD: 512GB MZ-JPV512S/0A4
    Replacement SSD: 512GB Timetec AS05 ( https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B099CG92Y3/ )

In the meantime I ordered this device: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B017QXT8IS/ , a "CY PCI Express PCI-E 4xM.2 NGFF" with which I can plug in the original SSD to an M.2 slot on another computer. However the device hasn't arrived yet.

I visually inspected the both sides of the motherboard and can't find anything broken/charred. I don't have a microscope. Any idea how I can troubleshoot this?

Thanks

Re: Macbook Pro 2015 A1502 SSD apparently died

Hi. What is the history of this unit ?

Any liquid damage ?

Are you using the original and suitable power adapter ?

Just powered up one day and the SSD is not working ?

Comment

Hello,

No liquid damage, only work that got done was replacement of a swollen battery by an apple reseller 2 years ago (new battery is already swollen again...) . Until today I never opened the macbook and no other work got done on it. I am using an original macbook air power supply (45W A1436) when I'm away and the original macbook pro power supply at home.

I used and transported the laptop extensively during the past 5 years. It fell a few times but had never any damage besides cosmetics. I don't remember the "latest fall", it must have been over a year ago.

As I said before, I used the laptop and then it suddenly froze. After rebooting, the laptop was dead and showed the question mark folder logo.

The rescue mode (i.e. sound, screen, keyboard, wifi, usb ports) works.

Comment

Are you meeting the MacOS requirement for this box ?

See attached.
        Attached Files

Comment

Yes, I had at least 10.13 installed. I checked this before ordering the ssd.

Comment

Do you have a multimeter ? You can try to clean the edge gold contacts with a q-tip of the SSD with alcohol (pharmacy grade is good) - we use the stuff from Costco. Then seat it back and test again.

Aside from this suggestion, perhaps some voltage rail is gone with the age of the unit. It is known to happen. The bulging battery does not help and that may have caused some warping of the PCB or cracked a mated component leading to this fault.

If you feel comfortable, consider to disconnect the trackpad / keyboard connector off the logic board and power up again. Be sure to watch some youtube videos on this macbook to review the location of the connectors. Also, disconnect the battery as a test. Handle with care to prevent further damage.

Being that the issue is with the SSD, as long as there was no liquid damage, focus on the connector solder joints and surrounding parts.

Do you have a soldering tools ? Cannot recall but may need to short 2 pads on the A1502 logic board to mimic the on / off button.

The SSD is a PCI Express design. Respectively, each of the tiny surface mount capacitors must be present for the SSD to be detected.

Apple is pure evil with these designs and rub it in on the repairs. Repaired an ipad PRO 12.9 last week where the client killed the charging port with a Dollarama USB lightning cable. Yes, took us some time and charged for only a fraction of the time but Apple said it was not worth fixing. Really? The ipad is > $1k in the local market. The charge cable is $5 + some quality time to perform the repair.
            Attached Files

Comment

I have a multimeter and a soldering iron. However I've never soldered so small SMD components. I already disconnected the battery and tired a powerup without the battery. It's the same issue. Why do I have to disconnect the trackpad/keyboard?

I'll try to locate all these caps. Is it correct that some of them are located on the bottom side of the logic board?

How can I verify that the capacitors are working without desoldering?

/edit:
              I uploaded a picture of the caps. They are all there
              Attached Files
              Last edited by backes; 01-10-2022, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Check the voltage on each side of L3700.

Meter in 20V DC scale. Red meter probe to the end point of the inductor.

Black meter probe to a metal shield ground. To so with care.

This is the power rail to the SSD PCB. What is the voltage reading ?
                Attached Files

Comment

I only plugged in power, I did not short anything to simulate the "power on" button. It reads 3.3V, I think that is correct

Comment

That is the expected and proper voltage to power the SSD.

See if this helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47--98JReaU
                    Last edited by mon2; 01-10-2022, 12:02 PM.

Comment

This does not help, it doesn't show up in the list (I only tried the new SSD). I think that at this point I'll just wait for the SSD converter and plug both into a PC just to confirm whether at least one of them even works. I don't have another macbook to try them.

Thank you
                      Attached Files

Comment

If you haven't been updating MAC OS, it's possible you have an old EFI firmware version. Anything pre High Sierra won't pick up any 3rd party NVMe drives.

Comment

I had osx 10.14 installed. I double checked this with the time machine backup

Comment

Working...
                          X