Toshiba A205-S5825 regular shut down at start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba A205-S5825 regular shut down at start up

Hi! An urgent help is needed for Toshiba A205-S5825 regular shut down issue.
    Platform : ISKAA LA-3481P Rev : 2A

Steps already taken :

1-cleaned fan system (was a little dusty but not clogged), removed dried paste and applied new one to CPU and GPU.

2-Tried naked mobo with a working ram, CPU, KB and Lcd display, enter bios screen, lap always shut down after about 1'50s.

3- Scanned mobo with an infra-red thermometer, Max temperature registred 42° at SB, so no heat issue.

4- Checked Thermal Sensor ADM1032ARM :
    VDD : 3Vs
    D+ 2.38V
    D- 0v
    EC_SMB_CK2 and _DA2 : 5.6V each
    pin 4 "Therm#" and 6 "Alert#" not connected.

Please note that CPU of A205-S5825 series doesn't use big "Nec-Tokin cap" but 330uf small caps.

Also Tried with Mobo +ram +fan but without CPU it also shut down at about same time.

Has any one dealt with the same issue, or any clue as where to dig further

Thank you

Re: Toshiba A205-S5825 regular shut down at start up

Probably problem with GPU. Try a reflow.

Comment

Originally posted by atsio View Post
      Probably problem with GPU. Try a reflow.
      Forgot to mention, that I did GPU reflow with no avail.

Comment

If you had a reflow and didn't resolved it then do a reball.

Comment

try to work without adapter only on battery. if it work, it is TOKIN capacitor

Comment

already mentioned there's no nec tokin cap

Comment

Flash bios chip.

Comment

Originally posted by helderfb View Post
                Flash bios chip.
                The idea of flashing bios came to my mind, but time before lap shuts down seems to be short and risky for bios flashing : only 1min50s! Do you agree ?

Comment

Originally posted by helderfb View Post
                  Flash bios chip.
                  It has got nothing to do with bios...
                  Why everybody think that BIOS is some magic box which can fix everything???
                  Yes, it will even cure a cancer,lol...
                  Laptop clearly posts...
                  I would start with gpu reball...

Comment

Loser18 is right. It's not the BIOS or it wouldn't get as far as it does.

I also don't understand why people think firing up a board without the CPU is going to show them anything useful. Am I missing something about that?

Comment

Don't need to use CPU when checking other voltages (and therefore states where the mobo is) On the other hand, how would you measure CPU voltages if it's in socket???

Comment

Why can you not measure CPU voltages when the CPU is in the socket?

Comment

I didn't mean voltages of cpu regulator...I was talking about signals such a cpu reset or power good etc...I don't know about any other way than check socket pins themselfs...pretty sure there's no other way,lol...

Comment

Of course that makes sense but that's not what I meant. I meant as a general troubleshooting technique people seem to think that firing up the MB without the CPU to see what it does is going to tell them anything useful and that's what I read people doing. No mention of checking socket pin voltages.

BTW, I don't mean that in any insulting way, I just don't understand it.
                            Last edited by SteveNielsen; 05-26-2014, 07:08 PM.

Comment

99% of people on this forum has absolutely no clue how the laptop mobo works...I'm not saying that I know either...In some cases I've fixed several (2 or 3)mobos by taken out the CPU and start up without it...Still don't understand what was going on though...

Comment

More likely it was re-seating the processor that fixed the problems. The MB is basically a collection of parts without the CPU. It may blink or yell at you without a CPU but not much else.

I've got decades of computer tech experience but I'm retired now and have been out of the loop for the last 4 years so I don't know what new-fangled crap they've come up with nowadays

Comment

Originally posted by loser18 View Post
                                  I didn't mean voltages of cpu regulator...I was talking about signals such a cpu reset or power good etc...I don't know about any other way than check socket pins themselfs...pretty sure there's no other way,lol...
                                  there is something like this
                                  i dont know if there is for notebook
                                  Attached Files
                                  Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
                                    More likely it was re-seating the processor that fixed the problems. The MB is basically a collection of parts without the CPU. It may blink or yell at you without a CPU but not much else.

I've got decades of computer tech experience but I'm retired now and have been out of the loop for the last 4 years so I don't know what new-fangled crap they've come up with nowadays
                                    It wasn't that simple case...The mobo had "blink" code which indicated CPU fault...so replaced with my spare one for testing (100% working) but the same fault appeared...So took another 100% working board, but again the same fault with booth CPU's...I didn't understand what was going on, so googling & found solution to start the bad mobo without cpu, but with mems in...then remove mems & seat cpu...after that got 3 "blink" codes (mem failure obviously)...seat mems & started up...I've had to do the same procedure with 2nd CPU to get it working again...Think that the bad mobo got both CPU's in some weird state,which prevent the CPU to start up...Even in another board...I've sold the mobo to friend of mine & as far as I know it's still OK...As far as I remember those were DV5's with AMD CPU...Still can't understand what was going on & yes I've reseated mem's before but never think to start without CPU but mems...

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                                    there is something like this
                                    i dont know if there is for notebook
                                    Yeah...I've seen those...You got tons of gadgets in China...
                                    They even selling kits for nearly all CPU's and mem's (also for laptops)

Anyway...I think we hijacked this thread & the guy needs to fix his laptop,lol...

Comment

Yeah, that is a very different situation there and quite interesting. I think you're probably right. Something happened to put the CPUs in that state and it was cleared after discharge and power cycles. I've seen some strange things similar with no solid explanation. Some things we can only guess about but it is entertaining and educational.

The hijack was unintentional. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                      X