A1297 macbook 2011 Won't charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A1297 macbook 2011 Won't charge

Got a 17" macbook pro which I suspect has been damaged by a charger with an iffy magsafe connector (3rd party).

The battery reports correctly in macos and windows, shows manufacture details etc, condition normal, health status good but always says not charging.

Magsafe led is always green, never orange.

Without battery connected I get a voltage at the battery power pins, with it I only see the battery's voltage. I assume this means the SMC is preventing charging?

Not sure where to start. The bad power adapter was disposed of, the wire near the magsafe would audibly short and I'm certain this things got no protection built into it.

Testing using a known good official charger.

Re: A1297 macbook 2011 Won't charge

I should add the machine does run off the power supply and did also run off the battery until it depleted (now on about 7%).

Did all the usual pram and smc reset stuff

Comment

Remove all power. Meter in resistance mode. Check the resistance of the current sense loop for the battery charger leg. Measure at the charger IC pins. Confirm the path resistance agrees with the schematic values.

Comment

as mon2 said check R7051 and R7052, usually the second one is failing, also SMBUS_SMC_BSA_SCL & SMBUS_SMC_BSA_SDA lines should be at 3,3V with battery connected

Comment

They all seem fine and without the battery connected I'm seeing the correct charging voltage.

I've checked coconut battery and though the battery hasn't locked itself, the capacity is less than 4% so I'm just thinking it's a crap battery. Oh well.
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes, could be crap battery. As noted by @Piernov in numerous articles, 99% of the time, it is the battery to blame.

Order one to test with Amazon from a reputable vendor and return it if it is not required.

Since you can extract the vitals - fake or real, the SMbus lines are working.

Test each linked to battery mosfets to be sure they are not leaking.

Comment

Working...
            X