Thinkpad T480 Thunderbolt problem not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinkpad T480 Thunderbolt problem not charging

Hi, I have a T480 not charging batteries, I try another charger but the problem is not charger but I think is the thunderbolt. I follow some tutorial to flash the correct firmware by a ch431a. First I erase the chip, than flash with a null.bin and finally flash with the TBT.bin padded, but the laptop continue to not charge the batteries. The problem is the two batteries are empty and I can't boot the laptop. My question is: is necessary, after flashing, to boot the laptop to complete the process? So can be this the reason why the thunderbolt not charge batteries also with the new unbugged firmware?

Re: Thinkpad T480 Thunderbolt problem not charging

try this dump for thunderbolt eprom
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for answer, I have a T480 the one you attach is for t480s, is also good for mine?
      If yes what I have to do? Erase the chip, then flash null.bin and after flash the one you attach? Thanks

Comment

I flash your attached bin but nothing the thunderbolt not charge batteries, the charging led not power on

Comment

Originally posted by gsoft View Post
          I flash your attached bin but nothing the thunderbolt not charge batteries, the charging led not power on
          Thunderbolt eprom dump for T480 added
          Try and post results.
          btw are you using an USB-C ampermeter ? Please post amper draw so we can make estimate.
          Attached Files

Comment

Ok but please can you say me what is the correct procedure? I must flash directly this dump or first I must erase, than flash null.bin and finally this dumb?

I not have a USB-C ampermeter?

Comment

I flash also the U15.bin and the problema persist. The thunderbolt not charge batteries, the charging led not going on. Could the problem be related to the fact that I can't boot on the laptop due to dead batteries?
              Or is the chip itself died? the fact that I can read and write on the chip with the ch431 means that it's still working or not?
              Last edited by gsoft; 07-14-2023, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Because nothing seems to work and laptop with a charged battery work, do you think there is a way to put 11,4V to the batteries pin on motherboard and use the laptop in this mode?

Comment

I read that when the problem is the Thunderbolt, it still charges in 15W.

Maybe your problem is elsewhere.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...highlight=t480
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...highlight=t480

Comment

Does this laptop boot normally if the adapter is connected? It should, even if the battery is connected but not fully charged.

Do you have the schematics for this unit?

Regardless, locate on the board the charger IC which will be near the battery connector. This IC will follow the thunderbolt controller and it will use the adapter voltage to charge the battery. Once we know the charger ic topside markings, we can debug this fault.

Post pics and more details of the charger IC.

No, do not recommend external hacks to charge the battery, etc. It should not be required.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                      Does this laptop boot normally if the adapter is connected? It should, even if the battery is connected but not fully charged.

Do you have the schematics for this unit?

Regardless, locate on the board the charger IC which will be near the battery connector. This IC will follow the thunderbolt controller and it will use the adapter voltage to charge the battery. Once we know the charger ic topside markings, we can debug this fault.

Post pics and more details of the charger IC.

No, do not recommend external hacks to charge the battery, etc. It should not be required.

Thank you for answer.
                      No the laptop not boot if adapter is connected, and yes if battery if not fully charged it boot. I attach the image of the two batteries connector so you can help me to identify the charger IC.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X