PS4 pro power supply coil whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS4 pro power supply coil whine

I have a PlayStation Pro that has a buzzing and ticking sound from the back on the side of the power supply. I searched for a solutions , i tried to make reflow for some of the components but it did not work. In addition, I used silicone on parts on board without any changement. I discovered that if I make a short on the IC in the left corner, the noise stops. Is that dangerous?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture d’écran 2024-03-26 192805.png
Views:	465
Size:	529.2 KB
ID:	3242708

Hi,
    I have repaired numerous PSU's and I have seen this problem several times.
    The problem is not any of the components you have tried to reflow. Problem is that this is a Chicony PSU. I have yet to see this problem from a Delta PSU.
    The smd capacitors used on these boards, specifically for the PS4 Pro seems to have a spec problem. The problem is that the PSU might work, but it turns off under load above 4-5 Amps. Or it might not turn off, but make a "coil wine".
    99% of these cases are out of spec SMD capacitor(s), or physically cracked parts. Problem is they still might "work" and check out OK during prodding, aka. Not being short. But as soon as there is any load the sounds start. Sometimes it might take a few minutes before it starts, sometimes not.
    The sound normally comes from the main filter cap, just after the Bridge Rectifier. This Cap is though very unlikely the problem.

The shorting of the chip you are referring to is NOT a cure, but might mask the problem for a little bit when PSU is without load. Using Silicone is the same thing. It might mask the problem, but is no cure.

The normal disclaimer!! PSU's might KILL you if you do not handle them properly and you start prodding around. Remember the main cap holds up to 400V.
    ALWAYS completely discharge the main Capacitor, eighter with a special drainage tool or resistor before you work on them. If you are unfamiliar with this procedure, do NOT work on them.

I do not know your experience with PSU's, but I would suggest sending it to a professional. If you are a professional, I might guide you in the right direction..

Comment

Working...
    X