Asus X99-s USB overcurrent detected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus X99-s USB overcurrent detected

Hello! so i have an Asus X99 S and a X99 Deluxe, both have been working for some time, but after swapping the cooler on the X99 S it started to come up with the USB overcurrent detected. I have tried all the bios versions on the asus site, have looked if anything is shorted and all of the usb ports show almost the same resistance on the pins.
    Tried different ram, cpus, psu, also all the pins are nice, and no usb port is bent.
    Only way to make it boot 1 time only was flashing a new bios on the chip (ch341a or bios flashback) and then getting into the bios, but only the usb 2 ports would work. The usb3 ports only had power going to them but no communication.
    I have looked for schematics but the closest i could find is the x99 deluxe which is almost the same but has more usb ports.
    Any help would be nice

MOD Edit: Boardview moved to "Bios and Schematics" Requests sub forum -> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=121934
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 08-04-2023, 07:52 AM.

Re: Asus X99-s USB overcurrent detected

what does it do with the cooler unplugged?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      what does it do with the cooler unplugged?
      tried with cooler on and off since and the same stuff, different coolers too

Comment

start looking near the cpu for damaged smd parts then

Comment

USB overcurrent schuldn't have anything to do with cooler. I'd guess some smd device was ripped off during swapping of the coolers. Looking for ripped off smd components is a good idea, but I would extend the search for the whole board if you have taken out the board for the cooler exchange. Have you checked if all USB port have the 5V power ?

Comment

Originally posted by DynaxSC View Post
            USB overcurrent schuldn't have anything to do with cooler. I'd guess some smd device was ripped off during swapping of the coolers. Looking for ripped off smd components is a good idea, but I would extend the search for the whole board if you have taken out the board for the cooler exchange. Have you checked if all USB port have the 5V power ?
            I have checked and all usb ports do have 5v, even the case ones

Comment

I have found that the asm1187e gets very hot when powering the board on, on the schematic it is y1u1. I dont really know how to check what it does or if it has anything to do with the usb overcurrent, but my guess is that it shouldnt get this hot.

Comment

This will be the issue, there is not much info about this chip, but it is generally a PCI to USB bridge. If it is very hot (over 50 C) then you need to replace it. It most probably leads to a power supply overload, and thats why you get the error. I observed that these AS Media chips are quite sensitive and get often demaged due to electrostatic discharges on the USB ports. To replace this smd device you will need a hotair station preferably with a preheater and some captan tape to protect the plastics on the board from the hot air (use several layers dependent on distance to the plastics). You can buy the chip on Aliexpr..... You schould also check, if any of the USB data lines behind the AS Media chip do not have shorts. All USB ports are protected by such very small 6 pin spike protector devices located very close to the ports, they should protect the USB controllers behind but not always this works. So it might be that beside the AS Media chip also one/some of these spike protectors are shorted. Best is to check them after taking the AS Media chip from the board, because the AS Media chip may also have a short on the data lines.
                Last edited by DynaxSC; 08-04-2023, 02:43 AM.

Comment

This will be the issue, there is not much info about this chip, but it is generally a PCI to USB bridge. If it is very hot (over 50 C) then you need to replace it. It most probably leads to a power supply overload, and thats why you get the error. I observed that these AS Media chips are quite sensitive and get often demaged due to electrostatic discharges on the USB ports. To replace this smd device you will need a hotair station preferably with a preheater and some captan tape to protect the plastics on the board from the hot air (use several layers dependent on distance to the plastics). You can buy the chip on Aliexpr.....
                  I quickly checked on a working x99 deluxe and it also gets hot, cant tell the reading cuz no thermal camera and also covered by the gpu. As for replacing it i got a gordak 952 hot air station and was planning on buying a preheater also, i may try to replace it in the future, tho it may not be the problem

Also from looking more at the schematic only the wifi card slot and the lan are connected to this chip and the rest of the usbs are connected to 2 other asmedia controllers but those arent getting hot at all
                  Last edited by brusli009; 08-04-2023, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Yeah, these chips get quite hot, but the question is how much, till ca 50 C it is still somewhat normal, 60 C and above is most probably damaged. Try to measure the temperature, and check the USB data lines. Usually if your finger tip gets burned, then it means chip is dead, but this is not an exact method. A cheap laser distance thermometer or the temperature probe of a multimeter with some liquid should do the job. You can also measure the resistance of the VCC supply of the chip in power off state, if it's somewhere in low ohms range (10 ohms and lower), this is also an indicator, that the chip is dead. Compare also to the working board.
                    Last edited by DynaxSC; 08-04-2023, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Yeah, these chips get quite hot, but the question is how much, till ca 50 C it is still somewhat normal, 60 C and above is most probably damaged. Try to measure the temperature, and check the USB data lines. Usually if your finger tip gets burned, then it means chip is dead, but this is not an exact method. A cheap laser distance thermometer or the temperature probe of a multimeter with some liquid should do the job. You can also measure the resistance of the VCC supply of the chip in power off state, if it's somewhere in low ohms range (10 ohms and lower), this is also an indicator, that the chip is dead. Compare also to the working board.
                      Forgot abt the multimeter probe, with it dosent go above 41C and the chipset with no heatsink is around 42C also. Also the suply in the power off state is @50 ohms, and tested the same on the working board

Comment

logically, check the wifi card slot (caps related to it) and the lan for shorts

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          logically, check the wifi card slot (caps related to it) and the lan for shorts
                          Did that and nothing looks abnormal, every ground is where it should be and the other pins have resistances on the wifi slot. on the lan port everything is good and resistances are the same on all pins of data

Comment

Ive heard asus stores some data on the bios file and if you flash it via a programmer that data is deleted, i have flashed it via a programmer so maybe thats the problem? if so is there somebody that can share a x99-S bios dump?

Comment

Originally posted by brusli009 View Post
                              Ive heard asus stores some data on the bios file and if you flash it via a programmer that data is deleted, i have flashed it via a programmer so maybe thats the problem? if so is there somebody that can share a x99-S bios dump?
                              Bios and Schematics Requests sub forum -> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15
                              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

there is small chip near usb ports when gets damaged, it will trip that error

Comment

you mean the usb power switches?

Comment

on this board check all U_USBOC nets. they r connected to chipset so it can be even bad solder joint
                                    Last edited by ktmmotocross; 08-06-2023, 04:06 PM.

Comment

After being gone for a week ive come back and the board is stuck at 00 and shortly stops after. Checked 12v and its still getting it and all the other mosfets for the cpu are getting the voltage needed

Comment

Originally posted by brusli009 View Post
                                        After being gone for a week ive come back and the board is stuck at 00 and shortly stops after. Checked 12v and its still getting it and all the other mosfets for the cpu are getting the voltage needed
                                        00 usually means a big issue with your cpu. What BIOS version are you running?

Have you tried reseating your CPU?

Comment

Working...
                                        X