HP lp3065 repair or part source.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP lp3065 repair or part source.

Voltage on the v_on pin is 0. as for pictures.. where specifically would you liek me to focus on. Un fortunetly my camera does not have a macro setting so thats about the closest ill be able to get. but I can certanily try different angles.
    Last edited by KhitSicker; 05-14-2011, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KhitSicker View Post
      Voltage on the v_on pin is 0. as for pictures.. where specifically would you liek me to focus on. Un fortunetly my camera does not have a macro setting so thats about the closest ill be able to get. but I can certanily try different angles.
      No need for additional pictures at this time. I may need some for the signal card.

Well, you have identified the proper pin. The 0 Volts doesn't sound good. Since I failed to give explicit instructions, let's make sure you are taking the proper steps before tearing into the signal card (AKA logic card).

Hook up all cables connecting the front panel switches, power supply, and signal card. Don't bother connecting the inverter and LCD panel at this time. Connect the - (black) probe to a mounting screw for the signal card. Hook up AC power, verify you have 5V at 5V_SB. Now place the + (red) probe on the V_ON pin and press the Power button st least three times, pausing for a second or two between each press. If V_ON does not twitch you have verified the problem is PROBABLY the signal card.

The next step is to check the voltages on the cable to the front panel. Hold the red probe on the first pin, press the power button. If the voltage doesn't change, move to the next pin and repeat. Continue for all pins. You should see the voltage change on at least one pin while the Power button is pressed down. If you do, it's time to investigate the signal card in detail.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Nothing on V_ON and nothing twitched on the front panel either. There were 2 pins with 5.5v and 1 with 3.3 however pin 1 was 0.0 and nothing moved on any of the pins when i tried the power button. when i was testing the front panel I left the black probe on the same screw i used to test the signal card.

Comment

Nothing on V_ON and nothing twitched on the front panel either. There were 2 pins with 5.5v and 1 with 3.3 however pin 1 was 0.0 and nothing moved on any of the pins when i tried the power button. when i was testing the front panel I left the black probe on the same screw i used to test the signal card.
          I'm going to suggest one more thing to check.
          No power applied, identify the front panel switch ground pin, this pin should show a very low ohm reading to a ground screw of the logic board.
          Next with the front panel switch disconnected from the logic board one ohmmeter lead on the pin you identified as ground, touch each of the other pins of the front panel switch with the other ohmmeter lead, one of those pins should show a very low ohm reading while the power switch is pushed.
          That should tell you what pin of the front panel switch is the off/on.
          That would be the pin where the voltage should toggle low as the power button is pushed.
          Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

I will try .. i dont think i have enough hands to do that you are suggesting though lol.

Comment

I will try .. i dont think i have enough hands to do that you are suggesting though lol.
              That's what friends are for - preferably young, attractive, and of a compatible gender.

PlainBill
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                That's what friends are for - preferably young, attractive, and of a compatible gender.

PlainBill
                hahaha mine looked at me funny when i told her i needed her to hold my probe for a minute.

I think I am doing this wrong though. I did not find a pin that had voltage then showed low when the button was pressed. I did however find a pin that had low but then gained voltage when I hit the power botton.

Comment

hahaha mine looked at me funny when i told her i needed her to hold my probe for a minute.

I think I am doing this wrong though. I did not find a pin that had voltage then showed low when the button was pressed. I did however find a pin that had low but then gained voltage when I hit the power botton.
                  In the last sentence of my suggestion I should have said, That will be the pin that changes states when the power button is pushed. It could go from high to low or low to a high voltage.
                  You could still verify it's the correct pin using the ohmmeter. Just remember no power when you use an ohmmeter.
                  Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

so then we've verified that the front panel works and the logic board is receiving the turn on signal but nothing happens from there.

Comment

so then we've verified that the front panel works and the logic board is receiving the turn on signal but nothing happens from there.
                      In a nutshell, yes. HOWEVER!!! We have another chance. The signal is found at the panel connector. The next step (should you choose to attempt it) is to see if the signal makes it's way to the processor. There is a slim chance that is not happening.

Let me guess, the connector for the front panel is P307 - the fine pitch connector? No luck finding a datasheet on the Novetek chip, either. There is one available on eBay, but it would have to be programmed.

PlainBill

Comment

well the connector isnt damaged any. I tested the pins on p307 and there is a voltage change when the button is pressed. Guess it is some other component on the logic board... I dont have the capacity or the equipment to replace the novatech chip. caps and diodes yes but the not chip. I wouldnt mind replaceing the entire logic board but like i said in the OP I cant find the official hp part number. Does anyone have a sourch for hp lcd logic boards?

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                          Well, other than possibly bad caps, I'm out of ideas. The picture of the logic board, to me, shows 3 *slightly* bulged caps. The 3 are surrounding the voltage regulator.

This could be a lighting or angle of the photo, but you have the best view and can run your fingers along to see if they are bulged or not.

The best test is to use an ESR meter and uF capacitance test to ensure they are within specs. If you have neither, you could take a chance and recap the 6 in that area in hopes of getting lucky?
                          Are there some capacitors that are domed on the logic board?
                          I don,t think there was ever an answer

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
                            Are there some capacitors that are domed on the logic board?
                            I don,t think there was ever an answer
                            Excellent point. C312 and C426 and maybe C424 don't look too good.

PlainBill

Comment

well the connector isnt damaged any. I tested the pins on p307 and there is a voltage change when the button is pressed. Guess it is some other component on the logic board... I dont have the capacity or the equipment to replace the novatech chip. caps and diodes yes but the not chip. I wouldnt mind replaceing the entire logic board but like i said in the OP I cant find the official hp part number. Does anyone have a sourch for hp lcd logic boards?
                              I'd Google every number you see on the board, in particular something on a gummed label.

PlainBill

Comment

I'll try replaceing those caps when I get home but they didn't look domed or bulged at all. It does appear that way in the picture but when you look at them from a shallower angle there doesn't appear to be any doming. Additionally I dont think the problem I am having would be explained by bad caps. Even if every cap on the board was bad I the power would still flicker on for half a second. I am not getting any life at all when I hit the button.

I have already googled, ebayed, and craigslisted every number I could find on my part. Led me to 2 places. The link i posted in the OP and to this forum. I was hoping someone here would have a super secret parts source .

Comment

I'll try replaceing those caps when I get home but they didn't look domed or bulged at all. It does appear that way in the picture but when you look at them from a shallower angle there doesn't appear to be any doming. Additionally I dont think the problem I am having would be explained by bad caps. Even if every cap on the board was bad I the power would still flicker on for half a second. I am not getting any life at all when I hit the button.

I have already googled, ebayed, and craigslisted every number I could find on my part. Led me to 2 places. The link i posted in the OP and to this forum. I was hoping someone here would have a super secret parts source .
                                  As long as the 'bulge' is a camera artifact, don't bother replacing them. It is very unlikely they would be the cause. There is anotherf point I would like you to check, however.

There are a number of 3 pin devices that have caused problems on other boards. Two of them are near P305. They are I323 and I306. Others are I320, I315, and I316. What are the part numbers of these? Don't worry about similar devices with identifiers that begin with Q and D.

PlainBill

Comment

well the connector isnt damaged any. I tested the pins on p307 and there is a voltage change when the button is pressed.
                                    How much did the voltage increase on the on/off pin when you pushed the power button?

Comment

How much did the voltage increase on the on/off pin when you pushed the power button?
                                      I dont remember what the numbers were off the top of my heat. But I do remember the numbers comming off the pins on the front panel board were the sames as comming off the p307 connector on the logic board.

Comment

I dont remember what the numbers were off the top of my heat. But I do remember the numbers comming off the pins on the front panel board were the sames as comming off the p307 connector on the logic board.
                                        The question was more out of curiosity; if you haven't totaly given up on it, or have time it would be interesting to know.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                                          As long as the 'bulge' is a camera artifact, don't bother replacing them. It is very unlikely they would be the cause. There is anotherf point I would like you to check, however.

There are a number of 3 pin devices that have caused problems on other boards. Two of them are near P305. They are I323 and I306. Others are I320, I315, and I316. What are the part numbers of these? Don't worry about similar devices with identifiers that begin with Q and D.

PlainBill
                                          I cant really see. There is writing but its too small and faint to make out. How should I test those to see if they are working?

The question was more out of curiosity; if you haven't totaly given up on it, or have time it would be interesting to know.
                                          With the ohm meter on 2k the voltage goes up to ~1.09 then falls to .000 within 2 seconds. This behavior is repeatable.

Comment

Working...
                                          X