DHC-EX77MD problem with display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DHC-EX77MD problem with display

Hello! Got used hifi system which work great except few things. Display vfd on minidisc is blank, not working, other then that, MD work. Also display on cd work partially ~75% (lower brightness, especially lower bottom). So far i opened md to see any visual damage and check ribbon cable etc, which done nothing as resoult. On MD mainboard i see some burn mark under set of resistors which tells me something bad happend before and probably fixed. Is it posible that cause of problem is in amp (TA-EX77) which controls other elements via system control cable? Its strange that 2 components have fail with display (1 partially), only tuner display is working perfect. Anyone experienced in subject? Where to start, how to troubleshot? I have feeling that display is working and btw, visual inspection on MD display after i disassemble unit, looks fine, good. Im electronic hobbyist, not pro but i'm willing to understand Thanx in advance guys!

Re: DHC-EX77MD problem with display

To add more details, cd display heaters are visible, here is pic. Overvoltage?
    Attached Files

Comment

Update monologue On MD (MDS-EX77) i check voltage on ribbon that connect main board and front board (display), pin 18,19 (ACF1,ACF2) show ~30v and pin 13 - 3.3v. So i assume main board is good and the problem is in front board/display as it is getting enough power. Hm.

Comment

Upload the service manual/schematic, Listing pin numbers and voltages etc. without referece has no meaning

Comment

Yes, sorry forgot to add that..and, sony_mds_ex77_full_sm.pdf exceed forum upload size :/
          I think i'm close to problem solution.
          Voltages that come from main board and feed front board/display do not match service manual. First thing strange is that VFL pin on display ic driver show 32.3v and not 29v. 3.3V pin reading is normal. Somewhere i read that AC probe between filaments end should draw few volts (ac) and i have 0v. Still, in dc mode, end of filaments to ground show normal voltage.
          On main board section (pic included) i have removed and check all resistors, diodes and transistors, everything seems to be normal. Im not sure where im wrong.. maybe problem is Q521/Q522 transistor. Any ideas? Thanx in advance!
          Attached Files

Comment

If the heaters are visible in post #2 then you must have acf1 and acf2, it is usually around 3~4 volts ac measured across them, not to ground
            The schematic is not correct, D521 is a 33 volt zener diode, so the voltage on Q522 collector should be about -33~-34 volts.
            Check the zener diode (covered by arrow) and make sure it is not shorted. If you have a scope check the ripple on the B-. If C521 and C522 or C003 are bad that will cause a dim display. I would try bridging them with another 47µf and see if it helps
            I see part of the display is bright [1 ~ 10], it could be that the display is bad, if it was a problem with the voltage it should effect the whole display not just part of it.
            Last edited by R_J; 05-07-2019, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
              If the heaters are visible in post #2 then you must have acf1 and acf2, it is usually around 3~4 volts ac measured across them, not to ground
              The schematic is not correct, D521 is a 33 volt zener diode, so the voltage on Q522 collector should be about -33~-34 volts.
              Check the zener diode (covered by arrow) and make sure it is not shorted. If you have a scope check the ripple on the B-. If C521 and C522 or C003 are bad that will cause a dim display. I would try bridging them with another 47µf and see if it helps
              I see part of the display is bright [1 ~ 10], it could be that the display is bad, if it was a problem with the voltage it should effect the whole display not just part of it.
              Hello. Well post #2 is cd display which is second problem but still, its working so for now im not touching it. I'm talking about md display and schematic is related to that. I have check diode covvered with arrow (uzp-5.6b) with simple multimeter diode check and its not shorted. Q521 collector voltage is 32.3v now and should be 29 (-29) as display IC driver pin (-VG to VFL pin) get 32.3v now so i assume schematic is correct. Between acf1,acf2 i dont have reading, 0v ac. Still acf1 to ground and acf2 to ground dc i have reading ~29/30v if i remember. Thanx for effort and im looking forward. I'll check caps c521,c522,c003.

Comment

Schematic
                Attached Files

Comment

Ok, I understand it's the other display. With no a/c for the filament Check the caps C009, C007, Check if you have a/c (3~4vac) between C007 + and C009 +, If you have the ac voltage there, either one or both caps are bad or the resistors in that line are open.
                  That q522 is a simple regulator, its output voltage is based on the "base" reference, in this case a 33 volt zener, so the output will be aprox 33 volts, being a couple volts high or low will not effect the display where it would be noticed
                  measuring 33 volts on the acf1/f2 to ground is normal, It comes from B- via uzp-5.6b zener diode and through R532, there is no current drawn at the moment so there will be no voltage drop. Its there to apply a small dc voltage on the filiment, again it should not effect the display brightness
                  Last edited by R_J; 05-08-2019, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Ok, I understand it's the other display. With no a/c for the filament Check the caps C009, C007, Check if you have a/c (3~4vac) between C007 + and C009 +, If you have the ac voltage there, either one or both caps are bad or the resistors in that line are open.
                    That q522 is a simple regulator, its output voltage is based on the "base" reference, in this case a 33 volt zener, so the output will be aprox 33 volts, being a couple volts high or low will not effect the display where it would be noticed
                    measuring 33 volts on the acf1/f2 to ground is normal, It comes from B- via uzp-5.6b zener diode and through R532, there is no current drawn at the moment so there will be no voltage drop. Its there to apply a small dc voltage on the filiment, again it should not effect the display brightness
                    And........ it was C007! Everything work like a charm now! Man you rox !! Now im going to fix cd display dim with your tips and will update here. Do you accept donations or so? Cheers!

Comment

Here is cd player manual, i belive i need to change C320 (33uf 50v)? I inspected main board and find out that there was wrong capacitor C303, 100uf 25V so i changed it to 100uf 50V (like one in manual). Beside that i changed few other caps with new one (except that c320 which i dont have). Now filament is not glowing visibly red like before but brighness/latters are even less dimmer then before, its bareilly visible. Any tips what to try for cd display? Thanx!
                      Attached Files

Comment

The a/c coupling caps for the filliment are C315, C316, and you might want to check C322 & C323
                        C320 is the filter for the B- supply, remeber the cap will be + to ground, If C303 was bad (lower capacity) The B- would be very low.
                        Last edited by R_J; 05-08-2019, 05:42 PM.

Comment

The a/c coupling caps for the filliment are C315, C316, and you might want to check C322 & C323
                          C320 is the filter for the B- supply, remeber the cap will be + to ground, If C303 was bad (lower capacity) The B- would be very low.
                          I add new C315,C316,C322,C323 and also put back old 100uf 25v to position C303 (there was wrong mark C320 on copper side of pcb and i use C320 cap which is 100uf 50v). Everything is very dim, barely visible. I have check between VF1,VF2 ac mode and its 3.2v. Strange but -28v pin to ground shows 0v! So filament voltage is probably good but anode(-28?) is not and thats why it is so dim. Here i will add schematic of display pcb which i forgot to add in previous post. Thanx for all, cheers mate.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Update, in short. I changed:
                            c320,c324,c322,c323,c306,c305,c303,c302,c316. 0 volts Q 301,305, checked d305,d306 with diode test, seems to be ok. Checked D309,D310 ok. Checked some resistors, its ok. Display still very dim. Ac 3.2v between vf1,vf2. -28v third pin = 0v. Strange, what could be problem here? Best regards

Comment

Did you change C304? You should have -39.5v on Q301 collector, also check D309 to be sure it is not shorted.
                              Just to be sure the a/c coming in is ok, check the voltage across C302, it should be around -14 volts

"-28v third pin = 0v." Do you mean pin #3 of CN305?
                              Last edited by R_J; 05-09-2019, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Did you change C304? You should have -39.5v on Q301 collector, also check D309 to be sure it is not shorted.
                                Just to be sure the a/c coming in is ok, check the voltage across C302, it should be around -14 volts

"-28v third pin = 0v." Do you mean pin #3 of CN305?
                                I have changed C304 yes. Q301 collector show 0v. Voltage across C302 is 13.5v. -28v yes pin 3 (cn305), it show 0v .I will check D309 and will let you know. Regards!
                                Last edited by slayernn; 05-09-2019, 11:11 AM.

Comment

D309 is fine and also D305 & D306 fine. I have no clue, i tried everything, changed all caps related to VF1,VF2,-28v(B-) cn305 pins. Is C324 critical? I'm not sure,have to check out, but maybe that's the only cap i forgot to change. Mistery to me

Comment

New readings:
                                    Q301: ~20v on collector , ~21,3v base, ~16v emitter
                                    Q305: collector ~18.7v.
                                    When i measure Q301, Q305 voltage start at ~15 and slowly increase to max, eg ~20v for collector voltage.
                                    Last edited by slayernn; 05-09-2019, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Added new:
                                      C309
                                      C310
                                      C301
                                      C307
                                      D310 (1N5230 instead of rd4.7esb2)
                                      D305,D306 (1N4004 instead of 11es2)
                                      Nothing changed. Sorry for spam, cant edit single post so to update results. Cheers!

Comment

In post #16 you had 0 volts on Q301, In post #18 you now have ~20 volts on Q301 collector, what did you do to go from 0 to ~20v?
                                        That Q301 collector needs to be about negative 40 volts. What is the a/c voltage measured across CN402, pins 2 & 4?

Comment

Working...
                                        X