Adding in a new breaker panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding in a new breaker panel

with the new addition to my family (An SGI Onyx, Crimson, Indy, and Indigo2)
    I realize they my room will no longer cut it. I need to move.
    My first choice is Our storage room. It was an addition to our house and excluding the wall of the house all the walls are concrete and the room has the walls and ceiling insulated. The only problem is that there is a ruptured vapor barrier and the floor can get wet (not to the point of getting your feet wet but boxes go soggy over time).
    Anyways, To power my systems I need to add another breaker panel since the current one has been framed in and drywall will have to be cut in order to cater for my addition. It also lacks enough blank spaces for the new breakers.
    Attached is a rough layout of what I am planning.
    Besides a new panel for both 120 and 220V service (Probably loooking at a 60 amp panel but it depends on what's installed in the two deskside systems so I'm assuming they are maxed systems) I also plan to install a second and personal hydro meter to see just how much current I am drawing. It is rated for 100A max throughput and accepts both 120 and 220 volts.
    You can also see that the new panel is essentially on the other side of the wall.

Question 1:
    Should I use conduit to go from the new panel, to the meter and then to the existing panel?

Quetion 2: Would it be wise to install a master disconnect between the existing panel and the new meter to isolate and lockout my addition if needed?

Question 3: I can get hold of a Pushmatic breaker panel as well as breakers. Should those be used or is it better to use toggle breakers?
    BTW, my parents say I have to pay for all the supplies and they need to be in code or else they won't allow it.
    Attached Files
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: Adding in a new breaker panel

If you're going directly into the meter, the power company is going to have to be involved, and you'll have to pay for a service upgrade to support the additional panel.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Well I was thinking more along the lines of hooking up to just after our main breaker, then if the whole house needs to be shut off (Or you try to reset a tripped dryer circuit before you find the fault) then power can still be cut at the main. Since both desksides won't (and with an interlock, can't) be on at the same time there won't be an overload problem.
      I'm trying to keep within our maximum service load.
      Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

In my province, (Sask) all electrical work done by a homeowner is "supposed" to be inspected, and I've had that done anytime I've done any wiring. A few yrs ago I wired in another breaker for a garage I built. I ran it thru the wall and underground to the garage from the house. I also wired the garage. I followed the code book and did exactly as it specified. The code book says the trench was to be open so it could be checked for proper depth, etc. The inspector checked it out and I pointed out that the trench was regulation depth, etc. and he simply said that if I as the homeowner wants to endanger the people in the house, that's up to you. So you really have to screw up bad before you'd fail an inspection, or even to have them care alot.

Anyway, my main box had space so I simply added the breaker (push in toggle type) connected the wire and ran it out the wall to the garage. As far as the box is concerned, that circuit is just like any other circuit in the house. I did put a sub breaker box in the garage and divided it into 2 circuits.

Before doing any wiring you should pick up the latest code book and follow it. As for the inspection that's up to you. And dont forget to cut the main power, and check the points you'll be handling with a volt meter to be sure they arent live before touching anything!

Comment

Working...
        X