Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BN44-00517C dead - blown cap, resistor and fuse

Hi All,
    I have a UE32ES6540 which is dead, customer reported a pop and a puff of smoke. PSU is BN44-00517C and has blown 221k 1KV cap, next to this a blown resistor RM811. Board mains fuse is blown.
    Has anyone seen this problem and will changing the cap, resistor and fuse likely fix it? One more ask, can anyone give me a 2nd opinion of this resistor rating of RM811? I think it's 0.24 Ohms but would like a 2nd opinion! See attached pic.

Thanks!
    Bob
    Attached Files

Re: BN44-00517C dead - blown cap, resistor and fuse

Very common problem for those snubber ceramic cap to short out like that, it is connected in parallel with Source and Drain pin of that MOSFET, so when the cap shorted out it will usually take out that Source resistor with it, you still should check the MOSFET to make sure it is also not shorted out either, you also need to check the bridge rectifier to make sure it is also still OK.
    That flame proof resistor is 0.24 Ohms.
    The cap should be replaced with 2KV rating instead of 1KV as original is rated at.
    You may be as lucky as this guy, anupkg1985, in this thread here:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ht=snubber+cap
    Last edited by budm; 11-12-2020, 03:05 AM.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Hi budm,

Thanks for your message, i will check for shorts on the fet, yes i have some 2kv caps as change these quite often on sone of the older 32" boards that come in to me. Thanks for confirmation on the resistor, i will order sooner if those in. Will confirm if the repair works! Thanks Bob

Comment

Hi, do you reckon that will be a 2w or 3w resistor? Cheers! Bob

Comment

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping someone can help. I'm also having the same problem with my BN44-00517C board. The cap and resistor I have ordered but I have no clue what the MOSFET model is. Can anyone help?

Cheers
          Daz

Comment

Originally posted by dazzystar View Post
            Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping someone can help. I'm also having the same problem with my BN44-00517C board. The cap and resistor I have ordered but I have no clue what the MOSFET model is. Can anyone help?

Cheers
            Daz
            The MOSFET should have some markings on it.

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply. The MOSFET is completely blank. I've looked at a YouTube video of a similar Samsung TV PSU board and the MOSFET there is a 10NM60N so I've ordered one from ebay. Let's hope with that, a new cap and resistor it'll work!

Comment

Don't forget to replace the SSC2S110 PWM and check its wiring (smd resistors, stabilizer bars, diodes...)
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post

Very common problem for those snubber ceramic cap to short out like that, it is connected in parallel with Source and Drain pin of that MOSFET, so when the cap shorted out it will usually take out that Source resistor with it, you still should check the MOSFET to make sure it is also not shorted out either, you also need to check the bridge rectifier to make sure it is also still OK.
                  That flame proof resistor is 0.24 Ohms.
                  The cap should be replaced with 2KV rating instead of 1KV as original is rated at.
                  You may be as lucky as this guy, anupkg1985, in this thread here:
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ht=snubber+cap
                  Why would 2kv be better to put here? Wouldn't that change something ? Am asking for future repairs. Cause I just don't understand them yet, I always replace with same one

Comment

Got to change that as well? That's not gonna happen...looks like the bin for the TV then.

Comment

Originally posted by EazyBone View Post

Why would 2kv be better to put here? Wouldn't that change something ? Am asking for future repairs. Cause I just don't understand them yet, I always replace with same one
                      It can handle more, lots of times the makers are using the cheapest lowest capacity components they can get away with and they go bad and blow up pretty easily, so going up in voltage on caps is usually recommended for that extra headroom.

Comment

Got to change that as well? That's not gonna happen...looks like the bin for the TV then.
                        Aren't there any cheap powerboards on ebay, sometimes they are pretty reasonable. But being a 32 it might not be worth messing with, unless you have a need for a 32 somewhere.
                        Last edited by nomoresonys; 12-20-2023, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Yeah. 32" was for our bedroom. Can't find any of the same PSU boards anywhere in stock in the UK ATM.

Comment

It's a BN44-00517C by the way.

Comment

I saw this: https://www.buyqual.com/pd32b1d-csm-...wer-board.html

Comment

Just change the things that are broken. Fuse/cap/mosfet. And try it since you ordered it already.

Comment

will change the broken parts and give it a go. cheers guys.

Comment

will change the broken parts and give it a go. cheers guys.
                                    If you do not replace the SSC2S110 PWM, then the first time you turn it on, the mosfet and fuse will burn out again...

Comment

well then it will definately go in the bin after that!

Comment

well then it will definately go in the bin after that!
                                        Why not replace the SSC2S110 whilst you're replacing the other components ?

Comment

Working...
                                        X