Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting TVs and Video Sources
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2015, 05:19 AM   #1
ReeceyBurger123
Never Give Up !
 
ReeceyBurger123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
City & State: Telford
My Country: Britain
Line Voltage: 240 VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 7,124
Default What tv brand do you most common repair ?

I know its been done before but I just was wandering what are the most common brands you tvs techs repair here is my list from most common to least common:
Samsung
Lg
Vestel chassis based tvs (lots of cheaper brands)
Toshiba (not vestel chassis)
Panasonic
Proview chassis based tvs
Bush (not vestel or proview based chassis)
Phillips
Hitachi (not vestel chassis)
Sanyo (not vestel chassis)
Orion (not vestel chassis)
Teac
There are more brands but just an insight in to some of the most common.
ReeceyBurger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #2
Ltank
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
City & State: Florien, La
My Country: USA
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 685
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Samsung, LG, Sanyo, Toshiba, Off Brand Renamed, Sony
In that order.
Ltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:04 AM   #3
tom66
EVs Rule
 
tom66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
City & State: Leeds
My Country: UK
Line Voltage: 230Vac 50Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 32,373
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Generally found Samsung to be the worst, off-brand next, then LG/Panasonic/Sharp/etc.
I repair others more, but only because I actively seek them out.
__________________
Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
Free service manuals: http://www.toms-service-manuals.com/ -- 72 LED/LCD TVs, 5 monitors, 28 plasma TVs, and 2 AVR 6.1 amplifiers fixed! -- I repair Pioneer 9G Plasma Main Boards & KRP-M01 Media Receivers (PM me for info)

2 Pioneer KURO 9G, 12 Panasonic LCD/Plasma, 1 Sony LCD, 1 NEC Plasma, 2 Yamaha HTS, 5 Sharp LCDs, 5 Toshiba LCDs, 7 Philips Plasma/LCD, 1 Hitachi Plasma, 11 LG LCD/Plasma, 18 Samsung LED/LCD/Plasma, 1 Thomson Plasma, 1 Atec LCD, 1 Hanspree LCD, 1 Xerox LCD, 1 Harwa LCD, 2 Proview LCD, 2 Hyundai LCD, 1 "Onn" LCD, 1 Grundig LCD, 1 Dell LCD, 1 iiyama LCD, 1 Acer LED, 1 Logik LCD, 1 Baird (China) LCD, 6 Bush LCDs, 22 Vestel LCDs (Best->Worst)
tom66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:34 AM   #4
capkid
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
City & State: Federal Way,WA
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,329
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

I'm not a TV tech per se, but I've mainly repaired Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Toshiba, Sony, and Philips. I stay away from the off-brands, and I usually only touch plasma TVs now.
capkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
Shinju
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
City & State: Kirkland Wa.
My Country: USA
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 1,176
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Samsung, Westinghouse (follow me everywhere!) VIZIO, LG and Panasonic. Sometimes I pick up the off brands like Polaroid, Dynex, Apex to see what makes them tick.
Shinju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #6
Jooo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
City & State: **
My Country: Finland
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 176
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

In this order (not including brands which I have only repaired a single TV, and off-brands)
LG
Samsung
Philips
Thomson
Sony
ViewSonic
Jooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #7
ReeceyBurger123
Never Give Up !
 
ReeceyBurger123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
City & State: Telford
My Country: Britain
Line Voltage: 240 VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 7,124
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
Generally found Samsung to be the worst, off-brand next, then LG/Panasonic/Sharp/etc.
I repair others more, but only because I actively seek them out.
Agree with you tom all my mates get mad when I tell them samsung is the brand I most commonly repair but they have alot of issues.
ReeceyBurger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #8
ReeceyBurger123
Never Give Up !
 
ReeceyBurger123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
City & State: Telford
My Country: Britain
Line Voltage: 240 VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 7,124
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Got a 32" Polariod In yesterday failing to turn on due to a bad diode on the output who is the oem of this pile of shit ?

The psu, mainboard, inverter and tcon are built into on this thing is a real pos only lasted 3 months as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (105.6 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 01-17-2015 at 11:43 AM..
ReeceyBurger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #9
tom66
EVs Rule
 
tom66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
City & State: Leeds
My Country: UK
Line Voltage: 230Vac 50Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 32,373
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Haha, I love the overhanging capacitor. I believe it's a UMC design (Slovakia) made in China. Absolute piece of shit.
tom66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #10
ReeceyBurger123
Never Give Up !
 
ReeceyBurger123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
City & State: Telford
My Country: Britain
Line Voltage: 240 VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 7,124
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
Haha, I love the overhanging capacitor. I believe it's a UMC design (Slovakia) made in China. Absolute piece of shit.
Lol its such junk I have seen these boards in 24" logiks before they are so poor, I charged the customer 1/3 of the price it cost to buy the tv new (150) give it a few more moths before something els fails
ReeceyBurger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #11
Herbssat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 177
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Most customers are swearing by Samsung tvs these days. If they only knew what we are finding they would be swearing at them. I just had a lady that purchased a brand new one in the box before Christmas and i told her to take it back. She probably didnt follow my advice but thats the norm these days. You guys are surely right about those off brand sets;I hate to see them coming.
Herbssat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #12
ReeceyBurger123
Never Give Up !
 
ReeceyBurger123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
City & State: Telford
My Country: Britain
Line Voltage: 240 VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 7,124
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbssat View Post
Most customers are swearing by Samsung tvs these days. If they only knew what we are finding they would be swearing at them. I just had a lady that purchased a brand new one in the box before Christmas and i told her to take it back. She probably didnt follow my advice but thats the norm these days. You guys are surely right about those off brand sets;I hate to see them coming.
Very ture my main tv is a Pioneer kuro and it will outlast many of the brand new samsungs.
ReeceyBurger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #13
ReeceyBurger123
Never Give Up !
 
ReeceyBurger123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
City & State: Telford
My Country: Britain
Line Voltage: 240 VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 7,124
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
Haha, I love the overhanging capacitor. I believe it's a UMC design (Slovakia) made in China. Absolute piece of shit.
My mate Colin who also repairs tvs sold a whole bunch of logiks with these same boards I give it a year before they are all returned.
ReeceyBurger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #14
tom66
EVs Rule
 
tom66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
City & State: Leeds
My Country: UK
Line Voltage: 230Vac 50Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 32,373
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

I believe I have a 26" Logik with the same board in it. It's stuck in standby but there are no shorted diodes on the output. Where was the diode shorted on yours?
tom66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #15
ibgm
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
City & State: boston, ma.
My Country: usa
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 53
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

This is the nicest way to ask which brand is the biggest piece of crap! I love it. Samsung does seem to come in first a lot. Everyone hears Samsung and they automatically think they are great. Then I tell them they are built with the cheapest parts out there. Personally, I've had the best luck with my older Panasonic Plasma and Philips LCD's.
ibgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #16
reelitin
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
City & State: treasure island, fl
My Country: USA
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 13
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Just as you stated, it appears Samsung is the worst produced at the moment. Kind of on the other side, which is the best brand out there in the 50" class? Just curious as my in laws are after a new tv and asked my advice as to the best brand out there. I told them to stay away from Samsung, but was wondering what everyone list of best to worst is? I guess that would fall in line with the less often units repaired is.
Thanks for your input in advance. I am a beginner of tv repairs, and have gained a lot of help from this site. I just had someone call with a Samsung pn50a460s4d. Same symptoms as another poster made. Wondering if it is worth replacing the board on almost 7 year plasma.
reelitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #17
drussell
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
City & State: Calgary, AB
My Country: Canada
Line Voltage: 120/240V, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hardcore Geek
Posts: 139
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgm View Post
Samsung does seem to come in first a lot. Everyone hears Samsung and they automatically think they are great. Then I tell them they are built with the cheapest parts out there. Personally, I've had the best luck with my older Panasonic Plasma and Philips LCD's.
I'm not sure where anyone gets the idea that Samsung is great!? Are they delusional!??

I find them synonymous with "Cheap-Korean-Crap"... I guess their marketing department has successufully fooled the masses...

The early Philips plasmas are awesome... LG/Philips "collaboration" panels with the premium Philips electronics! I would buy one in a heartbeat... Dittto Pioneer, probably the best built FP sets out there.... If you see one, even not working, at a decent price, snatch it... They don't make them like that anymore!!!

I'm still mourning the loss of Panasonic's Plasma division.. I could have made a decent living selling quality plasma sets to people who understand but noooooo, not economical enough, apparently...

I don't care if they'd charged twice the price, I could still have sold them to people who actually "get it"......

Last edited by drussell; 01-17-2015 at 10:07 PM..
drussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:18 AM   #18
ReeceyBurger123
Never Give Up !
 
ReeceyBurger123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
City & State: Telford
My Country: Britain
Line Voltage: 240 VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 7,124
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
I believe I have a 26" Logik with the same board in it. It's stuck in standby but there are no shorted diodes on the output. Where was the diode shorted on yours?
It was a output package I willl highlight it in the photo, I have seen these boards in the 18-32" ultra slim logiks.
ReeceyBurger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:20 AM   #19
ReeceyBurger123
Never Give Up !
 
ReeceyBurger123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
City & State: Telford
My Country: Britain
Line Voltage: 240 VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 7,124
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgm View Post
This is the nicest way to ask which brand is the biggest piece of crap! I love it. Samsung does seem to come in first a lot. Everyone hears Samsung and they automatically think they are great. Then I tell them they are built with the cheapest parts out there. Personally, I've had the best luck with my older Panasonic Plasma and Philips LCD's.
Samsung's are cursed with a horrible flaw I dont tink I have seen one of their lcds or plasmas live past 5 years because they are junk.
ReeceyBurger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:21 AM   #20
ReeceyBurger123
Never Give Up !
 
ReeceyBurger123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
City & State: Telford
My Country: Britain
Line Voltage: 240 VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 7,124
Default Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelitin View Post
Just as you stated, it appears Samsung is the worst produced at the moment. Kind of on the other side, which is the best brand out there in the 50" class? Just curious as my in laws are after a new tv and asked my advice as to the best brand out there. I told them to stay away from Samsung, but was wondering what everyone list of best to worst is? I guess that would fall in line with the less often units repaired is.
Thanks for your input in advance. I am a beginner of tv repairs, and have gained a lot of help from this site. I just had someone call with a Samsung pn50a460s4d. Same symptoms as another poster made. Wondering if it is worth replacing the board on almost 7 year plasma.
Probably not because a few months later it will probably fail again tbh.
ReeceyBurger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Badcaps.net Technical Forums 2003 - 2020
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:17 AM.
Did you find this forum helpful?