Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philips 37PFL7662D/05 losing channels, no factory reset.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips 37PFL7662D/05 losing channels, no factory reset.

Hi Guys, I have been given a Philips 37PFL7662D/05 37" LCD TV. It powers up and all menus are available - to start with anyway. If I do a digital retune, it will usually find channels and display them (sometimes not!) If left on, it seems to work OK, but if I use any of the menus, it will occasionally 'pop' and either shut down, or reboot, while at the same time losing all of the channels. If the TV is put into standby and back on, all channels are lost and often, this also loses all menus (just get a blue screen) and the set has to be fully powered off/on to get anything back. Retuning will then get the channels back, until next time it's switched off, or put into standby! Basically, it's acting very weirdly!

I have tried to do a factort reset, but nothing happens - I have tried holding the menu button in on the side of the TV (for 30 seconds or more) as stated in the manual (in normal TV mode, menu mode and all other modes I can think of!), but, apart from the power LED flashing, that either does nothing, or occasionally makes the set 'pop' off and on again, but it does NOT reset the memory. I have also tried the reset procedure given in another post on here (069526 i+ (I think)), but that doesn't do anything either.

Any ideas on what could be wrong and, especially, how can I force a factory reset, which I'm hoping will fix it. Signal levels are good by the way; I have another Plasma that works faultlessly on the signal and levels are shown as 'very good'. Thanks in advance.

Re: Philips 37PFL7662D/05 losing channels, no factory reset.

Code tried is 062596 +i. Does nothing.

Comment

OK, managed to fix this myself and can confirm that it was indeed a corrupt Non-Volatile Memory (NVM, or NVRAM), which is why the menu button wasn't doing anything and why it wasn't storing channels.

Getting into the Service Menus isn't quite so simple as at first thought, but I finally found and downloaded a Service Manual (LC7.2E LA chassis). Reading throught this, I found out how to get into these menus, though it was not very clearly described. It seems that at first you need to put the TV into Analogue TV mode (which was NOT mentioned), then quickly enter 062596 followed by the 'TV Menu' button (manual just said press 'Menu', despite the fact that the remote has two of these!). This takes you into the first part of the Service Default Mode (SDM) which simply displays alphabetical characters that respond to stored information such as operating hours, software version and errors. If needed, you can look these up on the service manual. Service Default Mode is indicated by the letters 'SDM' in the top right corner. From here, there are several options, including one that requires entering the Display Option Code, which can be found on a lable on the back/side of the TV. However, simply to reset the NVM, quickly press 062596 and the i+ (or OSD) button to get into the Service Alignment Mode (SAM) menu. Once in here, you can finally select to 'Clear' the NVM - though I found two 'Clear' options and selected to clear both. Finally, exit Service Mode by pressing the Power/Standby button.

Once you've done this, power up the TV and, again in Analogue TV mode, hold in the Menu button on the side or top of the TV (NOT on the remote) and hold it for 10-20 seconds, until you get the New Install menu, which asks you to select Language, Country etc.. Once these are set, do a FULL Channel Scan (if asked, agree to deleting all old channels), which will, finally, give you all of your channels and KEEP them!

Hope this is helpful to someone.

Comment

cool thanks for taking time to post the fix.

Comment

Originally posted by baddesley View Post
          OK, managed to fix this myself and can confirm that it was indeed a corrupt Non-Volatile Memory (NVM, or NVRAM), which is why the menu button wasn't doing anything and why it wasn't storing channels.

Getting into the Service Menus isn't quite so simple as at first thought, but I finally found and downloaded a Service Manual (LC7.2E LA chassis). Reading throught this, I found out how to get into these menus, though it was not very clearly described. It seems that at first you need to put the TV into Analogue TV mode (which was NOT mentioned), then quickly enter 062596 followed by the 'TV Menu' button (manual just said press 'Menu', despite the fact that the remote has two of these!). This takes you into the first part of the Service Default Mode (SDM) which simply displays alphabetical characters that respond to stored information such as operating hours, software version and errors. If needed, you can look these up on the service manual. Service Default Mode is indicated by the letters 'SDM' in the top right corner. From here, there are several options, including one that requires entering the Display Option Code, which can be found on a lable on the back/side of the TV. However, simply to reset the NVM, quickly press 062596 and the i+ (or OSD) button to get into the Service Alignment Mode (SAM) menu. Once in here, you can finally select to 'Clear' the NVM - though I found two 'Clear' options and selected to clear both. Finally, exit Service Mode by pressing the Power/Standby button.

Once you've done this, power up the TV and, again in Analogue TV mode, hold in the Menu button on the side or top of the TV (NOT on the remote) and hold it for 10-20 seconds, until you get the New Install menu, which asks you to select Language, Country etc.. Once these are set, do a FULL Channel Scan (if asked, agree to deleting all old channels), which will, finally, give you all of your channels and KEEP them!

Hope this is helpful to someone.
          Thanks I had identical issue where I couldn't reset the TV to factory settings. I had to apply this factory reset a number of times before I could get it to correctly retune the Freeview channels and store them. It took me a little while to try and find the ' i+' until I turned the light on to examine the remote properly. Its to the left of the 0 key!
          I noticed that the MENU key when pressed on the side of the TV wouldn't appear on the screen. After the factory reset had finally worked the MENU appeared on the screen when pressed!
          Thanks for the useful information.

Comment

Working...
          X