Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real wattage of LC-8500BTX

Hi

I'm wondering if I should fix this low-end psu or not.
    Anyone know the real wattage of this? The full name is ACE LC-8500BTX (500W).

If the real wattage is something like <300W, not worth fixing in my opinion, but if this can do even 400W I will probably fix + recap it.

I could not find any reviews of this model.

Re: Real wattage of LC-8500BTX

It will probably do 350-400w at a lousy efficiency (~ 65-70%), but little of that on 12v - probably tops at about 100 watts on 12v, which is used now the most (cpu and pci express video cards)

Comment

Please, post pictures of the inside of it

Comment

Ok I'll post tomorrow.

Well I replaced the one bulging capacitor it had. With... a Fuhjyuu salvaged from dead Antec Smartpower

I also noticed that the sticker is lying: it says two 12v (15+16a) lines, infact this has only one.

Comment

Is this it ?
          http://www.hwupgrade.it/forum/showthread.php?t=2341526

Comment

Looks kinda like the second one, but my psu has atleast more capacitors on secondary. 120mm fan and same green capacitors though.
            My psu has no voltage select switch, and I dont remember that PCB over power connector.

Comment

Ok here comes the photos.
              Attached Files

Comment

This psu has already appeared here, under another name. Reasonably good for 350W, from what I remember. Should not be able of much more.

That burn marks near the transformer worry me. Seems it has been used with a machine that demands more than power it can handle. I have one like yours in the junk pile, waiting for some time to fix the 5VSB as a learning experience, but I would only use it with some lower wattage computer.

Comment

Yeah... no way is that psu with 2 x 12v rails ... and 16a on that is a bit exagerated.

Like I said, expect about 10-12A on 12v, which should be enough for a current processor and a video card with a single pci express connector.

That dark pcb is worrying though.

Comment

~250W max

It's missing an input filter coil.

Output capacitors are 2x1000uF, too low for 500W unit :P

Main transformer is not real ERL35.

I can't decide if it is worth a recap.

Comment

That's what I thought.
                      Well I will not fully recap it. I think that Fuhjuyy will do just fine.

As you can see in the pictures, there are some empty holes for cables. I added a pci-e power connector salvaged from another dead psu.

I'm probably going to use this as a psu for testing dead computers.

I found this video:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbWzAjL0rWc

It looks like exactly same PSU. Except that this one is oversized a little more. 5000W psu with no PCI-e connectors
                      Last edited by Jooo; 04-20-2012, 04:51 PM.

Comment

You recapped it with a fuhjyyu?? wow, from bad to worse...

Comment

Did you read the whole topic?
                          Originally posted by Jooo View Post
                          Well I replaced the one bulging capacitor it had. With... a Fuhjyuu salvaged from dead Antec Smartpower
                          It doesn't make sense to use capacitors which are worth more than the psu.
                          And it can't be worse than those green capacitors with no brand at all.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                            ~250W max
                            That was what I was thinking! Looks like 500-divided-by-2!

A half-assed 500! (Did the PSU just moon me?)
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Did you read the whole topic?

They look like YC to me. Solytech seem to like them.

Comment

I´ve seen about 5 of theses around here. One burned the 5vsb, one was weak for the computer. The others had green bulged caps only because the fan stopped and that regulation toroid cooked itself and the caps ( probably they were used in more power hungry machines, also ) .

Maybe better than putting crap Fujyus in it would be changing the fan and maybe some rectifier. That part of the board did get that burnt color for a reason.

Comment

~250W max
                                  That's probably about right.
                                  Given the small heat sinks, I would say no more than 200W peak (and that's only if you actually spread the load across the 5V and 12V rails evenly). 150W if you want it not to overheat and work somewhat longer. Anything above that will likely have too much ripple and noise to be usable in a PC.

I too can't decide if it's worth the recap either. You will probably need to do a lot of other improvements as well to make it better. Overall I'm leaning towards not to recap it and just use it as a test PSU for non PC use (i.e. test fans, small bulbs, and other electronics that won't load it too much).

Comment

Agreed. The fuhjyyu is too good for this PSU. He should have used a GSC or Sacon

They are Yang Chun. Not great, but miles better than fuhjyyu, and way too good for this PSU
                                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

~250W max

It's missing an input filter coil.

Output capacitors are 2x1000uF, too low for 500W unit :P

Main transformer is not real ERL35.

I can't decide if it is worth a recap.
                                      I add to those:

2x470uF primary caps = 300W max

Comment

Definitely a Solytech unit, they seem to slap the XX-8500BTX model number on any unit and sell it as a 500W. I had this exact Solytech unit but it was branded as a Rosewill 350W. With complete output filters, input filters, larger primary caps (680uf or even 820uf if you are feeling frisky,) and some beefier secondary schottky's I would trust it for 300W. Not for long with that transformer, though.

Comment

Working...
                                        X