Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Synchmaster 2693HM WHITE SCREEN

Hi,
    i have a samsung 2693HM with white scren when it powers off, already replaced all caps on the power board and still the same result, cheched the fuses on T-CON board and all ok.

Is it possibel taht the inverter board is bad, i changed the caps on the inverter board too?

Regards!
    Leo

Re: Samsung Synchmaster 2693HM WHITE SCREEN

Originally posted by OncleOh View Post
    Hi,
    i have a samsung 2693HM with white scren when it powers off, already replaced all caps on the power board and still the same result, cheched the fuses on T-CON board and all ok.

Is it possibel taht the inverter board is bad, i changed the caps on the inverter board too?

Regards!
    Leo
    No. If the inverter wasn't working you would have a black screen.

Triple check the seating of the cable from the signal board to the tcon, and the flex strips from the tcon to the panel. If there is a separate power cable to the tcon check that too.

PlainBill

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

@PlainBill

Already checked all the cables all seem ok, have to check voltages.
      Any other idea?

Regards!
      Leo

Comment

Hi,
        forgot to mention that after white screen it goest to black (white faids to black)
        Would the pictures of the boards help?

Regards!
        Leo

Comment

forgot to mention that after white screen it goest to black (white faids to black)
          I had a monitor with those same problems before. Like yours, the fuse on the t-con was good. Problem turned out to be a shorted tiny ceramic cap the secondary boosted rail on the t-con board. Fairly easy fix.

Your monitor's t-con is probably very different from mine, but if you just want to get an idea of the problem, you can find my thread here:
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12210

Would the pictures of the boards help?
          Yes, very much!

You should be able to spot a round inductor on your t-con. The area of interest on the t-con is usually around that inductor. I suggest you take several pictures: one of the whole t-con board, and several close-ups of the area around the round inductor.

Also, as a very primitive test, power on the monitor and see if anything gets hot on the t-con board, especially any ICs and diodes in the area of the round inductor. You may have to cycle the power to the monitor on and off a few times for this. Be careful, as components can get hot very quickly if there is a fault. Let me know if you find any that do.
          Last edited by momaka; 12-17-2011, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Here are the photos of the PSU.
            Note that all the caps on the PSU except the big one are changed.

Regards!
            Leo
            Attached Files

Comment

T-con board.

Regards!
              Leo
              Attached Files

Comment

T-con board right side. Previous picture was left side.

Regards!
                Leo
                Attached Files

Comment

Yikes!

Did you use Jamicon as replacements?
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

@mockingbird

Why Yikes!

I used 105degre ones , have to check.

So what do you suggest about t-con board?

Regards!
                    Leo

Comment

hello all
                      was looking back on the first post and oncleOh said

(Hi i have a samsung 2693HM with white screen WHEN it POWERS OFF

I remember on the old Benq boards the INVERTER transistors and sometimes the FU90?? mosfets use to fail,
                      if you replaced the transistors and had not spotted one of the FU90?? mofets had failed,
                      then the monitor would work but when you powered off, the screen would stay on with a white screen untill you removed AC
                      dont know if this applies to this monitors inverter in some way, but thought I would mention this as it may help those of you who do know
                      Last edited by trebo; 12-19-2011, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trebo View Post
                        hello all
                        was looking back on the first post and oncleOh said

(Hi i have a samsung 2693HM with white screen WHEN it POWERS OFF

I remember on the old Benq boards the INVERTER transistors and sometimes the FU90?? mosfets use to fail,
                        if you replaced the transistors and had not spotted one of the FU90?? mofets had failed,
                        then the monitor would work but when you powered off, the screen would stay on with a white screen untill you removed AC
                        dont know if this applies to this monitors inverter in some way, but thought I would mention this as it may help those of you who do know
                        Good catch. Most monitors in this size turn off the main power supply and the inverter, but better pictures would be required before I could be sure of that.

Edit: that appears to be the case here. That would imply either a short on the power supply, or a problem on the signal card.

PlainBill
                        Last edited by PlainBill; 12-19-2011, 12:45 PM.
                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

So what do you suggest about t-con board?
                          Short version:
                          Using the picture in post #8 as a reference (this one), first find the 3 test points AVDD, VEEG, and VDDG.
                          AVDD is located under the bank of ceramic capacitors under the round inductor.
                          VEEG and VDDG are located all the way on the right side of the t-con where the "260WU01C" and other board numbers are.

Once you find those test points, measure the resistance of each to ground. If you have a manual multimeter, use the 2000 Ohm scale. If you have an auto multimeter, disregard any readings above 2000 Ohms.

Basically we are looking for a short circuit or very low resistance on these test points. If any of them measure less than 200 Ohms, post what resistance you got here. I consider anything under 100 Ohms as suspicious, 30 Ohms or less as highly suspicious, and 10 Ohms or less a very likely short circuit.

Also, check the ceramic capacitors around D502, Q503, and Q504, and D504 for short circuit/ low resistance. To do that, just measure the resistance across them. If you find any of them to show under 100 Ohms, let me know which ones.

Long Version (only for those interested in more info on this t-con board:

Background
                          There are 4 important voltage rails on a t-con board:
                          - the main supply rail, which is usually 5v
                          - the main step-up (boosted) voltage rail, usually 9 to 13v (derived from the main supply/ 5v). For this t-con board, test point AVDD is directly connected to this voltage rail.
                          - two secondary step-up rails (derived from main step-up) for turning the transistors in the TFT ON and OFF. For this t-con, test points VEEG and VDDG are directly connected to these rails.

A white screen problem usually happens if either the t-con is not receiving power (main supply rail not present) or one of the TFT voltage rails (the step-up rails) on the t-con board has a fault. The fact that the screen fades to black after being white suggests that the main step-up is working but one of the secondary ones isn't.

More often than not, the cause for this is a shorted ceramic capacitor on one of those rails. And that's what we're going to look for. Of course, first those rails need to be found on the t-con board.

Let's start with the picture of the t-con on post #8.
                          The round inductor is always easiest to spot (IMO). This inductor is part of the main step-up voltage rail. Once located, the secondary step-up rails can be usually found close by. Next, we find the controller that produces these rails. For this particular t-con, the controller is a MAX8795A "smart" IC from MAXIM. Data sheet here:

A basic sample circuit diagram is given on page 1, and a more elaborate one on page 15. Page 13 has a table that describes the functions of each pin on the controller.

In many cases, the circuit on the t-con will closely resemble the sample circuits given in the data sheet. In the data sheet above, the t-con TFT rails are referred to as Vmain (for AVDD), V_GOFF (for VEEG), and V_GON (for VDDG).

As can be seen from the sample circuits in the data sheet, these rails have caps connected to them for filtering. Normally, the t-con board uses ceramic caps for these. The problem is that ceramic caps like to short circuit when they fail, so when one of them fails, it brings down the whole TFT power supply section.

All one has to do is follow the sample circuits in the data sheet and then try to determine the corresponding components on their t-con board. This is useful for checking resistances.
                          Last edited by momaka; 12-19-2011, 08:01 PM.

Comment

@momaka
                            Hi,
                            will check and let you know,

@PlainBill
                            which photos do you need?

Regards!
                            Leo

Comment

@momaka
                              Hi,
                              will check and let you know,

@PlainBill
                              which photos do you need?

Regards!
                              Leo
                              None. momaka has specified a process that should identify the problem.

PlainBill

Comment

Hi,
                                finaly managed to get the readings, used autorange multimeter set to kilo, and all ok except VDDA reads 5,90K.
                                Have to get another multimeter and repeat the measurments.

Regards!
                                Leo

Comment

Hi,
                                  finaly managed to get the readings, used autorange multimeter set to kilo, and all ok except VDDA reads 5,90K.
                                  5.9 kOhms (5900 Ohms) is actually fine. It's the low resistances (in the 10's of Ohms) that we are looking for as those usually indicate a problem. Like I mentioned, disregard any resistances *above* 2000 Ohms (2 kOhms).

What resistances did you get for VEEG and VDDG?

Comment

@momaka
                                    at VEEG and VDDG i got 0, no reading at all.

Regards!
                                    Leo

Comment

@momaka
                                      at VEEG and VDDG i got 0, no reading at all.
                                      0 (zero) and no reading are NOT the same thing!

Most multimeters will show "OL" or a "1" on the left side of the screen if you set them to measure resistance and you leave the probes not connected to anything. The "OL"/"1" means "out-of-range" reading. On the resistance setting of a multimeter, this means that the resistance you're trying to measure is higher than the scale you selected. So for example, if you have a manual multimeter and you set it to measure a resistor on the 200 Ohm scale but the resistor is 400 Ohms, then the multimeter will show that "OL"/"1" reading.
                                      A zero on the other hand, as in 0.00 Ohms, means short circuit.

Do this test for me... set your multimeter on the lowest resistance setting (only if it is a manual one, of course) and touch both probes together. The resistance you get for that setting is the SHORT-CIRCUIT resistance for your multimeter. Whenever you get this reading at this scale on your multimeter, then that's when you have a short circuit or a very low resistance. Good multimeters will show around 0.6 to 0.8 Ohms. Cheap ones will show around 1 or 2 Ohms.

Now check VEEG and VDDG using the lowest resistance setting on your multimeter and tell me what you get.

Comment

Sory for the delay,
                                        here are the reading but think they are ok:
                                        VDDA 5,9k
                                        VDDO 1,5k
                                        VEEG 41k
                                        VDDG 100k

Regards!
                                        Leo

Comment

Working...
                                        X